Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we have all heard the news about slumping sales for the Mazda6 (New Mazda6 sales figures plunging), and the Sedan Market in general, I don't fully buy it, because the Camry and the Accord are EVERYWHERE, and BMW & Mercedes still bank on them. SO, as "super-fans" what should we tell Mazda to do to improve sales?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just go all in and make then exclusive $35000+ cars. Top trims or nothing. AWD and a horsepower boost to 300 would be nice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
605 Posts
Accords and Camrys are everywhere because they make up literally half of the sedan sales in their class. The whole class is declining year after year, including those two. I'm not sure the solution is for Mazda to just make more expensive cars, because when the economy tanks no one is going to pay $40k+ for a Mazda anything.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
How bout bring in the 6 wagon with awd? Audi is bringing back the rs6avant. With a price tag of 120k for the Audi and Mazda making premium trims, perhaps they could be the logical alternative to the rs6 avant... and selfishly, I'd have an afoardable replacement option for my 04 6s wagon albeit not a manual.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hyundai and KIA have climbed the rung with ONE simple solution: 10 years/100,000 Miles Warranty! Since you'd easily reach 100K before 10 years, this would be a great start. Also, listen to the fans and create limited edition MPS or MazdaSpeed Vehicles (Unique Color Schemes, 2.5T Engine with performance exhaust, big brakes, custom wheels, and grippier tires, and magnetic suspension) to be showcased on the road. But, above all, give us the Gen 4.0 Vision Coupe Design that rivals the KIA Stinger in appearance and performance (and Price if possible)! The Mazda3 Sedan looks great...and I can imagine how the production Mazda 6 Vision could look, especially with the elongated hood with an i6 engine inside (Plus an electric SC or Turbo would be nice)!

·
Registered
848 Posts
I disagree about the manual sales, you can hardly get an autol anywhere but the US, make it and they will sell.
When I bought my car - I test drove it twice... once in and around Christmas-time, 2016... and then, again, late February, 2017 (and I bought it then). First time... it had 7 km on the odometer. 2nd time, it had 12 km on the ODO. Those 5 intervening km's were my driving... The car had been on the lot since Sept. 2016... and no one but me test-drove it.

Now, my car is Deep Crystal Blue (which I 'kinda think is ugly... when it's dirty and when it's dull outside.... YMMV) and it is a GX trim (aka ~ Sport in the USA) - and both of those factors may have conspired to make it unpopular... but NO ONE was interested enough in the car with a manual, to even test drive it. Remember, in Canada at the time, you could get all three trim levels - GX, GS, and GT with a 6MT. Anyone interested in a Mazda6 6MT would logically have sought out the car... if even, just, to be able to then go ahead and order the trim line and colour they ultimately wanted.

No one.

This, plus the utter lack of popularity of the 6MT on Mazda3Revolution website, tells me that Canada, America (but for some of us enthusiasts - or those folks who want to exact super high mileages out of their 6's) have even the slightest interest in manual transmissions. Don't you think Mazda knows this better than we do? No way, no how, would Mazda put a 6MT in even a sedan anymore! Witness the Mazda3 sedan line for 2019!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Don't you think Mazda knows this better than we do? No way, no how, would Mazda put a 6MT in even a sedan anymore! Witness the Mazda3 sedan line for 2019!
I think the "lack of interest" on 3R is too many young kids getting into cars who had no influence from their fathers or grandfathers, or were rasied by a single mom. As far as Mazda not putting a manual in the 19's boils down to the AWD i think.

·
Registered
605 Posts
When I bought my car - I test drove it twice... once in and around Christmas-time, 2016... and then, again, late February, 2017 (and I bought it then). First time... it had 7 km on the odometer. 2nd time, it had 12 km on the ODO. Those 5 intervening km's were my driving... The car had been on the lot since Sept. 2016... and no one but me test-drove it.

Now, my car is Deep Crystal Blue (which I 'kinda think is ugly... when it's dirty and when it's dull outside.... YMMV) and it is a GX trim (aka ~ Sport in the USA) - and both of those factors may have conspired to make it unpopular... but NO ONE was interested enough in the car with a manual, to even test drive it. Remember, in Canada at the time, you could get all three trim levels - GX, GS, and GT with a 6MT. Anyone interested in a Mazda6 6MT would logically have sought out the car... if even, just, to be able to then go ahead and order the trim line and colour they ultimately wanted.

No one.

This, plus the utter lack of popularity of the 6MT on Mazda3Revolution website, tells me that Canada, America (but for some of us enthusiasts - or those folks who want to exact super high mileages out of their 6's) have even the slightest interest in manual transmissions. Don't you think Mazda knows this better than we do? No way, no how, would Mazda put a 6MT in even a sedan anymore! Witness the Mazda3 sedan line for 2019!
I'd be very interested to know how the 4th gen 3s with manuals are selling. Are they sitting on the lots and having to sell at deep discounts? Did Mazda actually make any? From what I've seen on the Mazda3 forums, literally no one has bought one. The current 3 crowd, surprisingly, seems even less "enthusiast" oriented than the 6 crowd, which is surprising to me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Some good ideas and especially like adding the wagon body style (with AWD) to the mix to help increase sales. By dropping manual option in the Mazda6, even if was low IMHO, was not a good strategy. That fact that I could get one this way, kept me interested in Mazdas all these years. Even if low percentage of sales, if you stop offering that option, almost by definition it goes down by that number because shoppers will go elsewhere to get it i.e. Honda Accord Sport or Civic Si with the manual. That's what I would have done. I do think that they need to update the Automatic transmission to perhaps 8 speed on the base and turbo models to match the Camry's offering and maybe re-introduce a Mazda6 with rev matching - get the SkyActive-X engine here already? Give us options though - don't remove them - allow us to choose a mid-level rim and select an upgraded stereo or sunroof if we want as crazy as sounds is a manual option with the engine of choice.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'd be very interested to know how the 4th gen 3s with manuals are selling. Are they sitting on the lots and having to sell at deep discounts? Did Mazda actually make any? From what I've seen on the Mazda3 forums, literally no one has bought one. The current 3 crowd, surprisingly, seems even less "enthusiast" oriented than the 6 crowd, which is surprising to me.
I think someone at Mazda is looking to eliminate manuals altogether by limiting manual option to one style of the Mazda3 (FWD hatchback only) coupled to the highest trim level (premium only). When I was purchasing my Mazda6, I had to go out of state to get a Touring trim with manual. Only a few base/sport models is were at only a few dealers local to me. The one dealer that I wanted to buy from said that I would have to pay a premium to get the car I wanted as they would have to trade and get it delivered from out of state. I almost went Accord Sport, but glad I took the 4 hour drive.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I was under the impression from looking at the MUSA site, there are no manual 3s for 19/20. As far as the "enthusiast" bit, i blame (younger) kids with better jobs who can afford them, but have zero fricking clues about being a "car person" aside from video games where you can shift a car using a button without consequences.

I think someone at Mazda is looking to eliminate manuals altogether by limiting manual option to one style of the Mazda3 (FWD hatchback only) coupled to the highest trim level (premium only).
When i had to start shopping in '18, Dodge didnt have a manual for under $30k and i didnt want a big ass V8 for a daily. There were no manual 6 GT's anymore so that forced me to look at the 3's which to my delight were within a .5" of the wheelbase of my 6 and made me feel comfortable getting it. Luckily, i lucked out MAJORLY with this one. It was the ONLY one in the area that had everything i wanted including a manual, LED, Bose, sunroof etc.

The fact that you could buy any Gen 1 6 with a manual regardless of the trim level was pertinent to their success IMO. I dont understand why America has gotten so soft, auto cars simply arent very engaging to drive

My feeling is, bring the shit back, make people have minimal choices and they will change. Maybe.

To quote Henry Ford "You can have any color you want, as long as its black".

·
Registered
534 Posts
Its funny how every auto enthusiast forum or comments section of any auto blog is the same ! Everyone wants manufacturers to produce a car with 6 speed manual, wagon, optional diesel and all at under $30-$35k . And when some car manufacturer attempts to build one the sales numbers are abysmal because no one buys them ! Hence car manufacturers rely on a foolproof yardstick before introducing new products, and that is sales numbers. Mazda knows compact and midsize SUVs is where the money is and so they'll keep building products like the new CX30 to join the CX3,5 and 9. Its not just mazda, excellent performance oriented cars like Kia Stinger, Genesis G70, Hyundai Veloster etc will all sooner or later die due to poor sales numbers. The average consumer is just not interested in sedans/hatchbacks anymore.

I just dont see mazda investing hundreds of millions on building a brand new mazda6 from ground up. With Toyota expanding its stake in Subaru, Suzuki and Mazda, i wouldnt be too surprised if the next generation mazda6 shares a lot in common with TNGA based Camry. At the end of the day its money and not emotions that drives products.

As for mazda6' target audience and the lack of manual option, check the below video :

2020 Mazda6 Review

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Its funny how every auto enthusiast forum or comments section of any auto blog is the same ! Everyone wants manufacturers to produce a car with 6 speed manual, wagon, optional diesel and all at under $30-$35k . And when some car manufacturer attempts to build one the sales numbers are abysmal because no one buys them ! Hence car manufacturers rely on a foolproof yardstick before introducing new products, and that is sales numbers. Mazda knows compact and midsize SUVs is where the money is and so they'll keep building products like the new CX30 to join the CX3,5 and 9. Its not just mazda, excellent performance oriented cars like Kia Stinger, Genesis G70, Hyundai Veloster etc will all sooner or later die due to poor sales numbers. The average consumer is just not interested in sedans/hatchbacks anymore.

I just dont see mazda investing hundreds of millions on building a brand new mazda6 from ground up. With Toyota expanding its stake in Subaru, Suzuki and Mazda, i wouldnt be too surprised if the next generation mazda6 shares a lot in common with TNGA based Camry. At the end of the day its money and not emotions that drives products.

As for mazda6' target audience and the lack of manual option, check the below video :

2020 Mazda6 Review
Read my turbo review 3rd Gen

·
Registered
848 Posts
In the sense of Ferrari or Porsche, no. But it does rev a little when you downshift, but not enough to overcome decel ability.
What I mean is... when you command a downshift - it perfectly rev-matches to the gear you shift into... but very quickly you have to "catch" it / catch the bump in revs by yourself giving more throttle pressure to conunue to sustain that higher rpm. Otherwise it's not seamless. It's not that easy to do... hence rev-match automatics aren't totally the god-send people might think they are. Same principle re downshift auto-rev-matching manuals. Really, there is no substitute for a good conventional manual trans with accurate throttle action... if you want to engage in this kind of driving...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts