Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested to know if there is any difference to a dealer whether they are selling a car out of their allotment or "special ordering" it. The reason I ask is someone on another forum is saying the dealer agreed to give them S-Plan pricing on an MS3 but only on a special order. I figure I'll give it a try, but I wonder if there is any reason they'd be more likely to honor S-Plan on a special order.

I suspect that they couldn't order a non-allotted car at this point anyway, and this is just a delaying tactic until they see how well the MS3 sells. Then if sales are good, they won't honor S-Plan in any circumstances, and if sales are slow they will honor S-Plan primarily just for cars that are on the lot and not moving.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think you've hit it on the head. From the dealer's perspective, if they can't even keep enough stock to sell a particular model to the guy off the street, he has no incentive to let one go for a lower profit.

Another thing that you need to check into is whether the factory incentives (if there's one going on the car you want) apply to an ordered car. I factory ordered from GM years ago while on a company plan and no incentives could be applied. Typically this is because the incentives are there to move slow sellers off of dealer lots. Since an order isn't going to move anything that's already on the lot, you don't get an incentive to make that order.

Look at the MS6. The dealers early on gave no discounts and there were no incentives. The sales have been non-existant and now incentives are all over the place. If you were to try to factory order one, I'm sure they'd point out that you could use your money much more wisely by buying an MS6 on the lot with every option available for less money after all the rebates.

I'm sure that they are indeed going to wait until they see how it sells. The 3 would certainly do better with no automatic than the MS6 is doing and the car is already competition for the Civic which barely drops off the truck before selling.

jack

1 - 2 of 2 Posts