Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys I order a set of rx-8 rims for my 04 mazda 6 whats the best size tire to put on that wheel, which is the 18x8 by the way, and im definitely not a fan of the edge of the rim sticking out from the tire, please recommend some good suggestions

·
Registered
683 Posts
Go to tire rack and put in the wheel size/rx8 model.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Don't go too big. I put a set of RX8 16's on mine and they almost rubbed everywhere (hammer fixed one spot). Check and see what the OEM tire size is that auto, and do not go wider or higher. I think my 18's (from the 8) would not fit at all.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am running 235/40/18s on mine which makes the edge of the tyre roughly the same as the edge of the wheel width wise.

I had a similar reason, I did not want the rim wider than the tyre.

I needed to roll the rear guards for clearance, but now that I have its great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked up the oem size for the rx-8 and its 225/45/18, I got 225/45/17 on my 6 now but of course the rim is only 7in in width, but we'll see, I might consider the 235 but i don't know Im definitely not trying to make any special modifications but I will if I have to, thanx guys

·
Registered
585 Posts
Ah chief tool what do u mean when u say u had to roll the rear guards?
He means he had to roll the rear fenders. You can buy/rent a tool called a fender roller that's designed to make the inside of your fenders flat to give your wheels more clearance. You can do it so that there is no visible difference from the outside. There are also shops that will do it for you.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I hate stretched tires as well, even though it's a small stretch on 225/40/18.

I'd have more rubber on the road with 235/40/18.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I currently run 235/40/r18 on my hatch with mazdaspeed springs and it looks great

1 - 10 of 10 Posts