Mazda 6 Forums banner

Rx-8 Wheels Plus Mazdaspeed Springs = Nice

16K views 52 replies 36 participants last post by  darknight 
#1 ·
While I was away for a week of work, the Falken Azenis RT-615's showed up along with the Mazdaspeed Springs (for the V-6 Sedan). First of all, the lowering of the car is near perfect for me. The rake is all but gone with the rear wheel gap being a little tighter than the front. Accross the centerline of the wheel, from ground to the arch, the rear measures just about 26" with the front measuring 26 1/2". I don't know if the springs will settle a little or not, we'll see. As far as fitment, they're great and easy to install. For a first timer, the total job took only 2 hours with most of the time consisting of me fighting with my spring compressor. The rear may drop a little more than intended due to the added weight back there, but it's fine by me.

The wheels and tires look great and are very easy to wash, not why I got them, but a major plus. I went to an autocross today and washed the car when I got home, nice and easy with a 1/3 of the spokes and a whole lot more room between them. They look great and fit the 235-40 tires with room to spare. I'm already thinking about 245-40's for the next set.

The moment of truth, how does this stuff work at the track? Obviously I can't race myself before and after at an SCCA autocross that changes every weekend. But my impression is that there's a marked improvement in grip from the tires and the body roll is kept in check by the springs. My times were good although I think I lost my class to a modified and well driven M3. When it comes to autocrossing, my only regret would be not purchasing a true competition tire. The Azenis tires are great all-rounders and will serve me well on the track, but they're not really race tires. After the first 3 laps, the front left started getting hot and giving up early in the turns. They will, however, take me to the track (60 miles), around the track, and home again. Let's see a competition tire do that for 10 weekends a year!!!

As far as the rear fenders are concerned, I did NOT roll them and even with the agressive track driving, I never rubbed at all. Frankly, it looks like the tires would rub if the suspension were compressed enough, but it didn't under dynamic load.

[attachmentid=15848][attachmentid=15847][attachmentid=15849]

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice choice of colors on the car.
The final result looks good. Did you get a chance to weigh the wheels before mounting them?
What is the measurement before the new springs?

Thanks,
Jason

#6 ·
Car looks great! I like the red car with silver RX8 wheel combination. I chose not to go with Red because I didn't want the attention, and this shows why! The car is sharp and will turn heads.

The final result looks good. Did you get a chance to weigh the wheels before mounting them?

Thanks,
Jason
[/b]
I weighed my RX8 wheels before installing them, using a digital bathroom scale. I weighed all 4, and they came out at 21.5lbs, +0.2lbs. For more info on the final weight with tires as compared to stock, see my posting here:
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...6108&st=135

#7 ·
Car looks great! I like the red car with silver RX8 wheel combination. I chose not to go with Red because I didn't want the attention, and this shows why! The car is sharp and will turn heads.
I weighed my RX8 wheels before installing them, using a digital bathroom scale. I weighed all 4, and they came out at 21.5lbs, +0.2lbs. For more info on the final weight with tires as compared to stock, see my posting here:
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...6108&st=135
[/b]
Looks impressive and and the fitment is no issue without a roll?! This would be the way to go particularly if one can find a good deal on take-offs....

#8 ·
Looks impressive and and the fitment is no issue without a roll?! This would be the way to go particularly if one can find a good deal on take-offs....
[/b]
No Roll and no problems, yet. I only installed the springs yesterday, which of course bring the rubber much closer to the fender. I'm not breaking new ground with the RX-8 wheels, but the jury seems to have weighed in overall that a roll is not necessary. If I ever load up the back seat with fat guys I'll find out for sure. As I mentionned, it looks like it would hit, but there may be enough negative camber in the rear to bring the wheel in as it compresses and not hit the fender. I think the upper control arm in the back is shorter than the lower, so it should increase negative camber as the assembly moves up.

#10 ·
very nice, my car is similar but plat sil metallic w/ autoexe springs...i'm doing an hpde at infineon in two weeks and will have video and thoughts once that wraps up...i'm suspecting a good time w/ the setup

now w/ the mods, the classes in autox become SUPER competitive!

#12 ·
i agree that it looks like the tire would rub with the RX-8 rims on and i'm using the factory 215/45/18's! I haven't lowered the car yet but the springs are in the mail so that will be the true test. I don't want to roll if it can be helped but if i must, i must.

#13 ·
i agree that it looks like the tire would rub with the RX-8 rims on and i'm using the factory 215/45/18's! I haven't lowered the car yet but the springs are in the mail so that will be the true test. I don't want to roll if it can be helped but if i must, i must.
[/b]

Again, I have the same setup, I'll let you know in 2 weeks if rolling is necessary as I do NOT plan on rolling the rear prior to my track day. I would prefer not to, but if i have to, oh well

#14 ·
[/b]
We're in the same boat; finding out the hard way I guess. I'm like you, if the need arises, I'll roll, but not until it does. Right now, it looks promising.

By the way, nice times in your signature!!

#19 ·
While I was away for a week of work, the Falken Azenis RT-615's showed up along with the Mazdaspeed Springs (for the V-6 Sedan).

[/b]
Where did you get those springs...how much...are the linear or progressive???

I've got the RX8 wheels ...had to buy the 8 for my wife to get the wheels for my MPS! They are definitely THE wheels to choose!

Attachments

#20 ·
Looks good. However, I have this peeve about people putting OEM wheels from another model on their car. It just seems tacky given the huge assortment of aftermarket wheels out there. Plus, if an RX-8 owners pulls up alongside who knows what he'd think. Probably get a good chuckle at the flattery.

Personally, I'd purchase aftermarkets that look similar to the RX-8 wheels. But I actuallly think Mazda made a perfect choice with the multi-spoke OEM wheels on the Speed6. It adds a different look to the car which distinguishes it further from the regular run-of-the-mill 6.

But I'm happy because your happy. So if you like 'em, I like 'em!

#21 ·
Looks good. However, I have this peeve about people putting OEM wheels from another model on their car. It just seems tacky given the huge assortment of aftermarket wheels out there.
[/b]
Please name 3 options for an 18"x8" that are lighter than stock with a 50-55 offset, for less than the price of OEM RX-8 wheels used. (Hint: they won't start with the words Volk, SSR, Advan, or Work.) :slap:

#23 ·
Where did you get those springs...how much...are the linear or progressive???

I've got the RX8 wheels ...had to buy the 8 for my wife to get the wheels for my MPS! They are definitely THE wheels to choose!
[/b]
Got the springs from the dealer as a Mazdaspeed accessory. They only took a couple days to come in from the warehouse (probably in L.A. if I were to guess). They are linear rate springs. I paid full ticket for the springs, $300. Probably could have easily ordered them for less, but I like to deal with real humans I can see and touch. That said, I've never actually touched my parts counter guy. :)

#25 ·
wow that is nice the drop is perfect and i love the rx-8 wheels i got to get me some.

#26 ·
While I was away for a week of work, the Falken Azenis RT-615's showed up along with the Mazdaspeed Springs (for the V-6 Sedan). First of all, the lowering of the car is near perfect for me. The rake is all but gone with the rear wheel gap being a little tighter than the front. Accross the centerline of the wheel, from ground to the arch, the rear measures just about 26" with the front measuring 26 1/2". I don't know if the springs will settle a little or not, we'll see. As far as fitment, they're great and easy to install. For a first timer, the total job took only 2 hours with most of the time consisting of me fighting with my spring compressor. The rear may drop a little more than intended due to the added weight back there, but it's fine by me.

The wheels and tires look great and are very easy to wash, not why I got them, but a major plus. I went to an autocross today and washed the car when I got home, nice and easy with a 1/3 of the spokes and a whole lot more room between them. They look great and fit the 235-40 tires with room to spare. I'm already thinking about 245-40's for the next set.

The moment of truth, how does this stuff work at the track? Obviously I can't race myself before and after at an SCCA autocross that changes every weekend. But my impression is that there's a marked improvement in grip from the tires and the body roll is kept in check by the springs. My times were good although I think I lost my class to a modified and well driven M3. When it comes to autocrossing, my only regret would be not purchasing a true competition tire. The Azenis tires are great all-rounders and will serve me well on the track, but they're not really race tires. After the first 3 laps, the front left started getting hot and giving up early in the turns. They will, however, take me to the track (60 miles), around the track, and home again. Let's see a competition tire do that for 10 weekends a year!!!

As far as the rear fenders are concerned, I did NOT roll them and even with the agressive track driving, I never rubbed at all. Frankly, it looks like the tires would rub if the suspension were compressed enough, but it didn't under dynamic load.

[attachmentid=15848][attachmentid=15847][attachmentid=15849]
[/b]
Let me state, for the record, that I was NOT a believer of this combination when others mentioned that they might try it, but I have to admit after seeing your pics J-speed that the RX-8 wheels look outstanding with the MS6. The drop that you have is perfect. As I have mentioned in another thread, your arguments about the springs are a breath of fresh air and your statements are proven on the track. If the life duration of the shocks proves to be only marginally shorter with regular Mazdaspeed V6 springs why bother paying all the extra coin for Auto Exe springs.

Now I'll just have to find some cash for some RX-8 rims...LOL.

R

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.