Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into purchasing RX-8 rims for my new MS6.

As I look at various rims for sale online and on various members cars, it almost looks as if some are silver and some are grey.

Were there actually two different colors that these rims came in? Or is it just a because of a combination of the difference in the lighting of the pictures and my declining eyesight associated with my advanced age?

I have also come across what is being advertised as OEM Dark Chrome RX-8 rims. Does anyone know if these were actually offered as an option?

Thx in advance for the help.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
they are all the same, just lighting.

The dark chrome looks amazing, but are heavy and expensive. And yes, they were a legit option

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Almost all RX-8 wheels are the same -- the same type of grey that the MS6 wheels are. There are a few RX-8 wheels, found on the special 'Shinka' editions, which are polished. They're a slightly shinier version of the stock wheel and they look very nice. These aren't too easy to come across. I think Wiggum imported a somewhat similar version from Japan which were VERY pricey.

And then there are the Chromed RX-8 wheels which I don't believe are a factory option, but they are a common mod done by owners, by sellers on Ebay, and by dealers wishing to bling up the ride a bit to help them sell the car.

I imagine that what you're seeing on members here is just lighting differences. To my knowledge everyone's just used the regular RX-8 wheels (don't think Wiggum ever installed the ones he brought over) and perhaps one or two guys with the Chrome ones (which would, of course, be an obvious difference).

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Almost all RX-8 wheels are the same -- the same type of grey that the MS6 wheels are. ).
[/b]
Actually the "regular" RX8 wheels are in a warmer silver than the stock MS6 wheels. I had both and compared them side by side. The MS6 wheels are more grayish, or they could said to have a bit of blue in them, compared to the MS6 wheels. The MS6 wheels are a pretty close match to the Liquid Platinum Metallic. They're not the same exact shade of silver as the RX8 wheels.

Under cloudy skies or shaded lighting conditions the RX8 wheels blend with the Liquid Platinum Metallic fairly well, but in bright sunlight the difference is noticeable. I posted some pics of mine in this thread:
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...6108&st=135 Scroll down to post #143

If you look carefully at the 2nd and 3rd pics you can see the colour difference when compared to the body color. The first pic, which is on the shady side of the car, doesn't show it as well.

If you have any other colour than Liquid Platinum this is completely academic. If you have Liquid Platinum yuo might want to look closely to see if the slight mismatch bothers you at all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help on this topic.

I think my confusion did come when I saw these rims on a liquid platinum MS6. As was mentioned in a previous reply, the RX-8 rims all other color cars tended to look the same (ie. more silverish).

Two more questions if you don't mind:

Question 1: How much heavier are the Dark Chrome Rims?

Question 2: What are the expensive tire pressure value stems I have read about in some of these rims for sale. I assume you can just use a normal valve stem on these rims?

Thx again.....

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
just go to an RX-8 forum and buy used with like 10k miles or less, im sure youll be happy.

Good luck!

and the answer to question one is it should be around 2 1/2 pounds or a little more per wheel. Overall 10 - 15 pounds total if you include the bigger tire. Go on a diet if you're that concerned.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
4 OEM finishes between the US and Japan...

Silver (Just like your MS6 wheels)
Dark Chrome (Regular chrome, darker finish)
Shinka's (Actually not really polished, a polished "look" clear coat on them)
Polished (Mine, look in the sig)...

just go to an RX-8 forum and buy used with like 10k miles or less, im sure youll be happy.

Good luck!

and the answer to question one is it should be around 2 1/2 pounds or a little more per wheel. Overall 10 - 15 pounds total if you include the bigger tire. Go on a diet if you're that concerned.
[/b]
I don't think you understand how rotational mass works... that is a MASSIVE amout taken off of a wheel...

Throw a 15 pound bowling ball down the lane...
Then throw the kiddie 5 pound ball...

As the 5 pound call hits the ceiling... you'll be thinkin.... It's just 10 pounds right??

Thanks for the help on this topic.

I think my confusion did come when I saw these rims on a liquid platinum MS6. As was mentioned in a previous reply, the RX-8 rims all other color cars tended to look the same (ie. more silverish).

Two more questions if you don't mind:

Question 1: How much heavier are the Dark Chrome Rims?

Question 2: What are the expensive tire pressure value stems I have read about in some of these rims for sale. I assume you can just use a normal valve stem on these rims?

Thx again.....
[/b]
TPMS sensors are installed in the wheels... when you get them installed and/if you swap the tires, have them take the sensors out... they don't work on the 6 and weigh more... not to mention you can fetch $150 for them...

Dark chrome wheels probably weight near the Speed6 regular wheels...

Let's let Wiggum answer this one! ;) BA-DUM-DUM!

Yes, there were three types, standard, high polish and dark chrome

See: http://www.finishlineperformance.com/cgi-b...mp;key=RX081039
[/b]
HERE I AM! :nana:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info.

What are the tire size choices assuming I will be lowering the car?

225/45/18's seems most common...that's what I had put on the car at the dealer when I bought it recently.

235/40/18's have been used by other members (some with rolled fenders).

Has anyone tried 245/40/18's ?

What are the pros and cons of each of these set-ups (assuming I get the RX-8 rims)?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
245/40/18 would require a seriously good fender roll. since you're probably going to roll the fenders anyways, i'd go wide with 235. but dont forget about how much sidewall you have and the effects on your speedometer!!! your gearing ratio will be affected.

215/45/18 - 3.80 inch sidewall (Stock MS6 tire size)
225/40/18 - 3.54 (2.1% too fast)
225/45/18 - 3.98 (1.4% too slow)
235/40/18 - 3.70 (0.8% too fast)
245/40/18 - 3.85 (0.4% too slow)

i wouldn't be comfortable at all with 225/40/18. btw, check out this link too: tire height chart

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
245/40/18 would require a seriously good fender roll. since you're probably going to roll the fenders anyways, i'd go wide with 235. but dont forget about how much sidewall you have and the effects on your speedometer!!! your gearing ratio will be affected.

215/45/18 - 3.80 inch sidewall (Stock MS6 tire size)
225/40/18 - 3.54 (2.1% too fast)
225/45/18 - 3.98 (1.4% too slow)
235/40/18 - 3.70 (0.8% too fast)
245/40/18 - 3.85 (0.4% too slow)

i wouldn't be comfortable at all with 225/40/18. btw, check out this link too: tire height chart
[/b]
Thanks....

With 235/40/18's do you have to roll the whole circumference of the fender, or just the 6-8 inches above the the tallest area of the tire?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thanks....

With 235/40/18's do you have to roll the whole circumference of the fender, or just the 6-8 inches above the the tallest area of the tire?
[/b]

If you use the RX8 wheels with the 235/40X18s there are no rubbing issues...even without rolling!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you use the RX8 wheels with the 235/40X18s there are no rubbing issues...even without rolling!
[/b]
Is this true even if you install lowerig spring?

Nice cars, by the way !!!!!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Is this true even if you install lowerig spring?

Nice cars, by the way !!!!!
[/b]
Some people rub, some don't. Its probably due to which tire model you choose as well as how your rear camber is set.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some people rub, some don't. Its probably due to which tire model you choose as well as how your rear camber is set.
[/b]

Could you or some other members name a few options of Ultra high performace all season 235/40/18's (I live in the northeast) that have worked well without rolling the fenders?

Toyo Proxes 4?
Falken Ziex Ze 512?
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S?
Yokohama ADVAN S.4.?

What's interesting is that Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Posiition's (I currently have 225/45/18's) do not come in a 235/40/18, but they do offer a 245/40/18 which has the same "section width" (9.6") as most of the 235/40/18's mentioned above. But, the overall diameter of the Bridgestone 245/40/18's is 25.7" compared to 25.4" or 25.5" for most of the 235/40/18's mentioned above.

How important is the overall diameter to a successful fitment?

Would the Bridgestone 245/40/18's fit?

Thanks for the help.

Thanks

·
Registered
214 Posts
sorry to dig this up but i just bought a set of rx8 wheels and am currently in the hunt for tires. so far i think i have my sights set on a set of cooper zeon sport a/s. edgeracing.com has them on sale for $117 a piece i believe in a 235/40. what tires does everyone else run their rx8 wheels? i do not plan to lower the car so i should not have an issue with rubbing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts