Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every tint post explains that tinting the entire rear tail light is illegal. But what about the RX-7's stock tails( not to mention all the other cars that have stock tinted tail lights), wouldn't they be illegal?

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
As long as the area where the light was emitted from is red, then no. You can have tinted surrounds all you want.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I've been wanting to lightly tint the whole rear tail lights( except for the bottom reflectors and barely tint the side reflectors in the light assembly ) Now I feel better

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The "law" requires you to have red reflectors on the rear of the vehicle... if tinting the lights prevents these reflectors from working properly... that is illegal... I just looked at a few pictures to remind me... And the RX-7 has red reflectors on the lower rear bumper... and it looks like some on the sides of the rear as well... these make it legal....

Another good example... the Mazdaspeed6 has yellow reflectors on the front bumper but NONE in the headlight... they no longer sell the clear bumper markers because it removes the only amber reflective part on the front of the car... which is illegal... same sorta deal.

·
Registered
79 Posts
bulges are overrated ;)[/b]
I have seen cars in my area with tinted tail lights all the time, I know one guy who does it on the side, it probably is illegal, but for some odd reason it sitll happens. who know about the Rx7, were the Feiro GT's Tail lights tinted black factory as well,

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Another good example... the Mazdaspeed6 has yellow reflectors on the front bumper but NONE in the headlight... they no longer sell the clear bumper markers because it removes the only amber reflective part on the front of the car... which is illegal... same sorta deal.[/b]
I just bought some clear marker lights on ebay 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have seen cars in my area with tinted tail lights all the time, I know one guy who does it on the side, it probably is illegal, but for some odd reason it sitll happens. who know about the Rx7, were the Feiro GT's Tail lights tinted black factory as well,[/b]
YEs and No. Depending on what fiero ytou had. If it was a 86-88(yes i know i should nopt know that stuff) THen the area around the brake lights, turn signals and back-up lights are very lightly tinted(i believe)But there is a black border around teh whole thing. Why my Dad has a ful;ly respored(yes I said restored fiero) in his garage that i plays around with.

·
Registered
780 Posts
So, are the new smoked out rear reflectors RPM is selling is illegal since they aren't red?? Or, does that vary from state to state? Or are the LED's that it comes with make it ok?? I'm soo confused. I wanna black out my front headlights, sidemarkers, and niteshade the rears and get RPM's rear reflectors but I dont wanna get pulled over and cited with a fix it ticket.

that's the last thing i could use. But, i think that'd be an awesome look on a redfire!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.