Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe this.

I know the paint isn't the greatest on the 3rd gen but I've never had rust spots like this in my paint on my roof. Just surprises me since this is a 14 GT. I am probably going to look at my extended warranty since I have a CPO if this is covered or not. I had a 08 first gen 6 and they never did this.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1488730369.247991.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1488730400.793833.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1488730432.712023.jpg If this isn't covered, do you think removing the rust, putting new primer on the spots and dabbing with the mazda paint pen will do?

Bye.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
That looks like unrepaired impact damage; something hit the roof, pierced the paint and it wasn't caught before it started to rust.

That "CPO" wasn't very well checked by whoever did the "C".

·
Super Moderator
17,983 Posts
What ticker said.

I had almost the exact same thing happen with my car (the paint chipped by a rock or something), but luckily I caught it on time and put some touch up paint over it before it got weathered.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
A few cars ago I found a chip inside the door jam that I missed. It had started to rust. I used "rust converter" to kill the rust and then hit it with some touch up paint. This car was black so it blended well. Not sure how it would do with white since the converter changes the rust to a black "primer". Owned the car for several years and the rust never came back. Fwiw

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yes, that doesn't look like that's coming up through the paint. That looks like damage that's rusting. Its amazing how quickly that sh*t starts. I'd take care of that as soon as I could.

Try and get all the rust scraped up and sanded down. You might even try a dab of "rust converter" to seal up everything. Then get some paint on it. Its gonna be tough to make it blend in and cause its the roof, it's probably gonna stick out some.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
"Rust converter" = phosphoric acid. Available at the local hardware store. Be careful with it; it's not nearly as dangerous to handle as sulfuric or hydrochloric, but acid burns of any sort are not fun and in the eyes the damage is permanent. Make DAMN SURE you wash it all off before using the touch-up paint.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fix and get a roof wrap, it will look perfect.

Thanks for all the input guys. I looked at it very close and they look like rock marks too. There are too many construction trucks and other vehicles hauling rock, dirt, etc. that are on the 91 and 71 area.

My car seems like a magnet for that stuff. Always hearing pings from the trucks on my car and I try to stay away from them too.

We'll see how the repair goes.

Bye.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi

I have one rust spot on my roof, too, as well as two others in the hood. Over 20 rock chips I need to fill!

I have primer and the Mazda touch up paint. Regarding removing rust..can I use an chemical agent like CLR to remove the rust?

Was planning to prime and touch-up after clearing out the rust

·
Registered
538 Posts
Same problem with rock chips. Its a combination of the low nose design and unbelievably thin paint that results in stone chips. Sometimes i feel if i look at the car the wrong way its paint will fall apart ! In hindsight i should have gone for a hood and bumper wrap when the car was brand new, too late now.

·
Banned
886 Posts
I had the same right in the middle lol this paint is thin that's why I go crazy with waxing

Bodyshops wanted to do the whole roof. Scrape with knife, apply a rust converter with a toothpick, then some touchup. It won't match lol but such is life unless you want to pay $100-200 at maaco?

This is why washing your car by hands pays off because You can see changes. I noticed mine as soon as the rust happened. I'm going to apply a bit more touchup paint again.

It looks awful because it doesn't match the paint at all, but unless is a show car? Is on the roof anyway. If it was on the hood, I would pay a shop to fix it.

This happens when you park under trees and branches.

·
Banned
886 Posts
Yes, that doesn't look like that's coming up through the paint. That looks like damage that's rusting. Its amazing how quickly that sh*t starts. I'd take care of that as soon as I could.

Try and get all the rust scraped up and sanded down. You might even try a dab of "rust converter" to seal up everything. Then get some paint on it. Its gonna be tough to make it blend in and cause its the roof, it's probably gonna stick out some.
I wouldn't sand it down. With a spot that small, all it will do is ruin the surrounding paint. Sanding down only works if you are a body shop and have the equipment to create a paint that will match. If you all you gonna do is put touchup, it will look horrible. The point is to prevent rust from spreading.

A bodyshop would probably charge you $200 minimum to sand this down and respray. This is the best way to remove the rust 100% and have the paint match.

Unless you wanna pay that every time you get a chip, you have no choice but to scrape the spot, apply rust converter and then touchup. It will look like crap lol but is the best you can do

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would sand it down BUT use the pencil eraser technique so that you're only using a tiny spot of sandpaper to clean up the paint and make the new paint stick better. In other words, don't mess up the good paint around the area that needs repair! Don't use the big brush unless you have a big spot because that leaves a smear. Use a paint pen if it's really small.

If you really want to cover it up, have a professional do clear bra over it. I have it on another car and it's fantastic stuff. It's pricey so you have to consider how much this stuff bugs you. Just don't ever try to do clear bra or window tint yourself, it takes a lot of practice and results in those bubbly ghetto window tint jobs, and a waste of money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can't believe this.

I know the paint isn't the greatest on the 3rd gen but I've never had rust spots like this in my paint on my roof. Just surprises me since this is a 14 GT. I am probably going to look at my extended warranty since I have a CPO if this is covered or not. I had a 08 first gen 6 and they never did this.

View attachment 200346 View attachment 200354 View attachment 200362 If this isn't covered, do you think removing the rust, putting new primer on the spots and dabbing with the mazda paint pen will do?

Bye.
Hi I have got Mazda 6 2017 driven 70þ kilometers. Town car. I am habing my roof repaied due to rust spots. Thia is not the normal stone impact area and is likly tp be from the manufacturing process. My painter sold me that he had several car like this and it will be goid for 4 years then it will need another cleanup and paint job (only the roof)
received_2526171217500397.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
In this case it should not matter. We are talking about 4 to 5 years. Along side of it is a Peogeot 1997 model. No rust at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is also more belivable when you have to pulll out the wallet for repairs. But the hood and trunk are spottless. Here is a picture before the roof is being repaird. Well you decide for your self. This is a city car where speed limits are almost everywhere 50 km but anyway I love my Mazda and I am going to keep it

Attachments

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
It is also more belivable when you have to pulll out the wallet for repairs. But the hood and trunk are spottless. Here is a picture before the roof is being repaird. Well you decide for your self. This is a city car where speed limits are almost everywhere 50 km but anyway I love my Mazda and I am going to keep it
I still find it hard to believe for a relatively new car to suffer rust like this...

Was there any chance that you left your car for a day or two with bird droppings and so it slowly ate up the paint and it started to rust?

I hope someone can give an opinion on how can this happen and so we can avoid this.

·
Registered
538 Posts
There could be many reasons for rust spots to appear especially on horizontal panels like the roof. From chemical contaminants , shoddy prior repair to manufacturing defect. The fact that only the roof has rust spots makes me think its an anomaly . Once fixed, make sure you wash your car regularly, and use some form of protectant - wax if you do it regularly or for something that stays on longer you can use synthetic sealants or ceramic coat. These protectant coats will act as a sacrificial layer in future.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well this one is waxed once a month with Sonax he is inside 16 hours every 24 hours . Newer been subject to corrosive material or other means of abuse :) just thought this was strange. It is manufacturing process of the metal. I am sure of that personally
Well it has now been primed an fresh paint on the roof tomorrow. Brg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts