Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Mazda dealer is suggesting I take a look at purchasing a Platinum Shield Corrosion Module for my new car. Apparently emits some sort of pulse to the car that protects it from rust. It's installed under the hood of the car. Apparently it's been used on bridges, boats, etc for the last 8 years or so. Can't find any information on these.

When you sell the car, you can take the module with you into your new car. This apparently is supposed to replace the underspraying, etc. Any suggestions? Anyone heard of it? Does it work? They want $800 CDN for it.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
What the thing probably is, is a piece of magnesium that is electrically charged. It's called "cathodic protection", and while I've never seen it in use on a car, it would theoretically work. Modern ocean-going vessels make use of the technology on a much larger scale. I wouldn't try it for $800CAN, but that's your choice.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I worked for a large natural gas utility for many years. What Sigma said about ocean liners we did on all of our underground steel pipes. Key word here is underground. Obviously the pipes as the ocean liner are subjected to constant moisture. The cathodic protection definately worked on our pipes. In theory it would work on a car but only on metal that had direct contact with the cathodic protection. Seems like a gimmick for a car.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I had the same thing offered when I bought mine. In fact, I was told that "aftermarket, underbody sprays could void your warantee"...which sounds like a load of crap also.

I declined the cathodic protection, and after 3 years of Southern-Ontario salted roads, things look OK. I may wait until the warantee is out and then have it sprayed, just to be safe.

IMO - save the $800 for something else more entertaining!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup the pics in those links look VERY similar to what the dealer offered me. I'm not going for it. Seems a little gimicky :)

Thanks for all the responses. This site is great.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm sorry mabey a little bit off topic but this is bunch of $h!t....
It's like this ........ different product but it will make things better LOL
WiFi Spray

·
Registered
46 Posts
it's a sacrificial anode. sac. anodes have been used on marine equipment for years. my boat engine has 'em. they're used on large ships, oil pipelines bridges, etc. the system doesn't prevent corrosion, it minimizes it... however, the price they're asking for this relatively simplistic system is outrageous and pretty much highway robbery. it does work, but unnecessary if you maintain your exterior well.

-s

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
spish
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing