Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I was showing a buddy of mine the dyno charts that were posted in regards to the air box mod today and when I scrolled down to the A/F, he was like, "whoa man, your car runs THAT rich?? That's rediculous!" And he's right. Most cars from the factory that run rich are in the mid to low 12's...so 11.18 is really rich. He's got an SAFC in his 240sx and pulls fuel to raise the ratio closer to stoich, has anyone ever tried using one of these with the V6 to try to pull some fuel, and go less rich? We could probably make some more horsepower pretty easily by doing that. Lemme know if anyone has tried this, or knows anything about this kind of thing

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
they plus side of the AFC is that you can have literally ANY shop tune it for you. it's not as easy to hook up on the mazda as most, so i don't know if this is a self install....but i know it's been done on a 4banger i think already

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Yes, it will work (Some have gotten it to work) but in the longrun, it will cost you more for a SAFC due to tuning needs and the fact that there is not a lot of support on this forum for SAFC, where there are a lot of people using the CPE

·
Registered
426 Posts
Will an sAFC work, though? Cause you can change maps right there on the screen while in the car, and I can get one for like $100 less than the CPE MAF customizer
[/b]
The factory literature does not supply the pinout for the 6, but it is available in the tuning subforum of Tech if you decide to buy the SAFC.

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/about4286.html

Also, the Greddy E-Manage Ultimate works on the 3, so there's a chance it'll work on the 6. It'll cost you almost $600, plus tuning expense though. Ask 84Fordman more about that one.

CP-E is not the only game in town, it's just the only known quantity. Not many of us want to be trailblazers. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your opinions. I think I might go with the sFAC though, just to be different and find out if it gives me the results that I like. If it doesn't, then I'll go with the CPE. My friend has a cousin that works on Mazdas all the time and he said that he'd be able to tune it for me for a really good price, so we'll see what happens. Plus, Apexi just came out with the new sAFC Neo, which has a VTECH controller, if our vvti is controlled by oil pressure, the NEO will be able to control the vvti with the built in VTECH controller, making things a ittle more interesting ;) Anyway, just food for thought for now, until I get the money and time to do the stuff....but thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Plus, Apexi just came out with the new sAFC Neo, which has a VTECH controller, if our vvti is controlled by oil pressure, the NEO will be able to control the vvti with the built in VTECH controller, making things a ittle more interesting ;) Anyway, just food for thought for now, until I get the money and time to do the stuff....but thanks for all the input.
[/b]
That's aimed at Honda products. The system Mazda implemented on the Duratec is far less sophisticated.
Mazda uses VCT, variable cam timing. It's a simple system that only manipulates the degree of advance on the intake cam. I think its VERY unlikely it'll work on the Mazda timing advance system. I'd say just try the SAFC II if you want to use the Apexi. The Greddy Emanage Ultimate does work on the rudimentary sytem our cars uses though. The Greddy manual specifically cites the BP VE engine, which includes the Mazda massaged Duratec.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
RottenWillow
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing