Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Only had the car for a week or so now and starting using the sunroof. Realized that when I'm driving around 40+ km and it's all the way open I start hearing a HUGE rumbling/virbration noise. I shut it half way and the noise goes away. I slow down and the noise goes away also. This only appears to be happening when it's all the way open or ALMOST all the way open. Even an inch from being wide open, it still producing the vibration. Not even the music drowns the noise. If you put your hand on near the sunroof, you can feel the vibrations.

Going to bring it into the dealer this week ...just thought I'd mention it to see if anyone else was experiencing the same problem with their 2006 06?

I suspect the actual glass that slides back starts to touch something and vibrate..not sure.. a wild guess.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Actually I have experienced this too. It seems somewhat random, as if the airflow gets disrupted by the open sunroof. I have no idea what it is either.

Let me know what they tell you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sounds like wind buffeting. My car does it too given the right conditions (speed, how windy it is, etc) when the sunroof is wide open.. Just slighly open 1 or both of the back windows (or front) and it should go away. Sometimes it happens when I only have the back windows down and everything else shut. Then I just pop the sunroof or roll down the drivers an inch, goes away too.
This happened in my altima as well, and when I drive my brothers S-10 extended cab with the windows down half way... just how the aerodynamics work around the car and maybe has to do with the slight vaccum thats created as well..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I understand some noise from the wind but this is a REALLY LOUD vibration!! If you put your hand on the top of the interior of the car, you feel the shaking!

Trying to get an appointment to bring it in. Not acceptable in my mind but I with my luck I won't be able to reproduce the problem when it's there!!

:)

·
Registered
799 Posts
this happens on most cars when you have the sunroof open and all of the windows closed. The car is sealed so well that the air has nowhere to go, so just crack your window down a bit and it will go away.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try that but I still don't think it's normal. It sounds as if there is air going in and rattling the shade cover. Possibly in between the cover and the glass. Mabye needs to be tightened or something.

I can't see having to open the window every single time I want to have the sunroof opened. Silly.

·
Registered
599 Posts
This may be silly, but... could it be the wind deflector. Next time you have the roof open, hold the deflector down with your hand...

EDIT: further explanation, the factory wind deflector pops up when you open the roof. It will not if the roof is only open a small way. It is spring loaded... if the springs are weak it could vibrate up and down, causeing a rattle.

EDIT AGAIN: After reading the issue again... I agree it's the wind. Rattling wouldn't be that loud. It is normal and you'll have to live with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is caused by simple physics, it's the air that just came in to the car trying to get back out.

You can get the same noise by opening just one of the rear windows just enough to cause the battle between incoming and outgoing air. This will happen in just about any car that is well sealed.

You can eliminate the noise by cracking a window (rear is better as the air flows right out) just enough to give the air a way out.

Perhaps some of the folks with sunroof deflectors can comment if they have helped.

·
Registered
32 Posts
just thought I'd mention it to see if anyone else was experiencing the same problem with their 2006 06?
[/b]
I know what you're talking about. I actually scheduled an appt to make that noise go away. but mazda said they don't know what would be casuing it. Could it be i need a wind deflector?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No I tried the wind deflector already, it's not that.

It's not the regular noise that you hear when a sunroof is opened. The roof rattles way too much. Yes, the wind is causing this but my guess it that it's because it's hitting something that is loose.

On the way home today, I'll crack open the window to see if it makes a difference. First car I've ever seen that would require this and I've owned several vehicles with sunroofs.

Sure, lets chance the laws of physics..has nothing to do with being lazy to open the window .. it's ok...you probably didn't read the thread properly.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sure, lets chance the laws of physics..has nothing to do with being lazy to open the window .. it's ok...you probably didn't read the thread properly.
[/b]
It's called SARCASM welcome to the intarweb

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have this issue as well. It's because my aftermarket (dealer installed) moonroof air turbulator in front does NOT pop up high enough to deflect the incoming air over the top of the opening like most factory installed roofs would do. Think of it as blowing over the lip of a coke bottle. Same thing but just on a VERY large scale. It will make one hell of a rumble around 30-40 but goes away during higher speeds and slower speeds. I tried to adjust the turbulator higher but it barely peaks up above the roof line. The factory unit on my 04 Xtreme went up about 1.5 inches and worked perfectly to block the coke bottle effect. Yes I was annoyed.

"Dealers fix" Crack rear windows a bit... I was very displeased with this answer as well. But what the hell am I gonna do. They already hacked the roof up to do it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Realized that when I'm driving around 40+ km and it's all the way open I start hearing a HUGE rumbling/virbration noise.

I suspect the actual glass that slides back starts to touch something and vibrate..not sure.. a wild guess.
[/b]
it dates back to the 1970's when chrysler came up with the sunroof. back then, the technology wasn't up to speed and it required required gears, sprockets and levers that would take up as much space as the car itself. so in order to combat this problem, chrysler technicians imported some turkish imps to operate the manual crank, but it was still to large. so they went to sweden and found that the swedish gnomes would be small enough to fit in the crevice of the layers in the car's roof. those vibrations are of the gnomes hammering spikes and tethering themselves to the car to be kept from blowing away.

that or the aerodynamics of the car is compromised. i assumed it's the latter. but don't quote me on it just yet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Forget the 'crack' the windows solutions. I tried it and it does not work. The wind deflector is too small to effectively deflect the wind out of cabin.

Dealer is going to have a look tomorrow for me. Will let you know tomorrow.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I notice our moonroofs retract into the roof itself, unlike other cars where I see it slide on top of the roof and stick up into the air.

Perhaps this is affecting the way the air enters the cavity containing the retracted moonroof, causing a disturbance inside our car's roof, disrupting airflow. As opposed to the moonroofs that slide up and out over the car, which seems like it would allow for better airflow.

DOn't know if that made sense, just typing as the words come to my head.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I notice our moonroofs retract into the roof itself, unlike other cars where I see it slide on top of the roof and stick up into the air.

Perhaps this is affecting the way the air enters the cavity containing the retracted moonroof, causing a disturbance inside our car's roof, disrupting airflow. As opposed to the moonroofs that slide up and out over the car, which seems like it would allow for better airflow.

DOn't know if that made sense, just typing as the words come to my head.
[/b]
Ageeed. :yesnod:

People! This is an aerodynamics issue. :irate:

My moonroof does this as well.

I have also had many cars with moonroofs installed and this is the first one I have had that retracts into the roof itself and leaves a smooth opening on top of the car. I believe it is this design that is helping cause the fluctuating air pressure inside the cabin and with the right environmental factors, wind speed etc. It can cause a very anoying vibration feeling inside the car.

This is a very similar concept to how you can make a glass bottle hum when blowing across the opening with just the right amount of air.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Forget the 'crack' the windows solutions. I tried it and it does not work. The wind deflector is too small to effectively deflect the wind out of cabin.

Dealer is going to have a look tomorrow for me. Will let you know tomorrow.
[/b]
Both rear windows about 2 inches is what works for me. It's a shitty fix but it works for me. I can then close them above 40-50 and not have any issues unless I get a real bad side wind. You could always get one of those aftermarket wind deflectors for the front of the thing. But they look like ass.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
18 Participants
generalinq
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing