Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to put up this post to say that today I went to look at an Acura RSX Type S at a dealership. I was suprised at the price and the options that came w/ the Type S. W/ the factory body kit and fog lights it was about 26k, pretty much what I payed for my 6s. It comes w/ leather, moonroof, 6 disc cd changer, 6 spd , ect. I'm not saying its better than the 6 but I'm going insane waiting for my 6 (its been two long moths) and I just wanted to look. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Reading Topic: RSX Type S

I haven't driven an RSX, so I'm a bit biased, but I have driven a lot of cars.

My guess is the '6 will actually feel more sporty. Mazda has done a fantastic job in balancing a WWD car. The RSX is smaller, and that's a consideration either way (I don't know which way would suit your needs better).

I would expect a smoother (some might view as refined) ride from the RSX, but I can almost guarantee you won't have the connection with the road that the '6 gives. It all depends on how you like your cars.

·
Registered
174 Posts

That's with the Factory Performance Package? It's even cheaper without that. CarsDirect.com has the Type-S (6-speed) listed at $23,570); but I hear you can get them for much closer to invoice than that.

The closer competitor to the 6 is the new Acura TSX (released next week?). It's MSRP hasn't been officially announced yet, but evidently it's $26,500 + destination.

Since I get S-plan pricing, the 6 is about $3500 less for me. :)

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replying to Topic 'RSX Type S'

Originally posted by Count Blah

That's with the Factory Performance Package?  It's even cheaper without that.  CarsDirect.com has the Type-S (6-speed) listed at $23,570); but I hear you can get them for much closer to invoice than that.

The closer competitor to the 6 is the new Acura TSX (released next week?).  It's MSRP hasn't been officially announced yet, but evidently it's $26,500 + destination.

Since I get S-plan pricing, the 6 is about $3500 less for me. :)[/b]
Yeah that was with the titanium trim and the Honda optional body equipment. But if I bought one for the price of the add ons you could buy a really nice body kit. A lot different then the 6, for only $800 you get the body kit w/ spoiler and "17 rims whick the Acura doesn't even offer. I was just looking because I am going from a coupe to the 6 and in some ways I will miss the coupe.

·
Registered
980 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

I haven't driven an RSX, so I'm a bit biased, but I have driven a lot of cars.

My guess is the '6 will actually feel more sporty.  Mazda has done a fantastic job in balancing a WWD car.  The RSX is smaller, and that's a consideration either way (I don't know which way would suit your needs better).

I would expect a smoother (some might view as refined) ride from the RSX, but I can almost guarantee you won't have the connection with the road that the '6 gives.  It all depends on how you like your cars.[/b]
My cousin has an RSX but not the type S and he lets me drive it sometimes. My impression of the RSX is that the car is great, it has pretty good pick up but could use a little more tourque down low, below 3000 rpm the it's pretty slow. The engine is smooth and quiet but it does get louder when you go into higher rpms. The one thing that I dislike about the RSX is the body roll of the car but don't get me wrong it still handles great. However, I think the 6 has gotten it beat in terms of handling (if that's what you mean by sporty) but don't know for sure as I've only drive the 6 twice.

·
Registered
319 Posts

I currently own a Type S. Have had it since August 2001.

I love the car. With that said, here are my impressions.

First, since this is a Mazda6 board, the 6 handles better than the Acura. No doubt about it. I suspect the tires on the RSX have a big part of this, being 17" all season garbage michelins. When I push the car, I can feel the tires giving way LONG before the suspension would. I would love to put better tires on my car, but can't bring myself to do so before I wear out the stock ones. At this pace, I'm gonna be dead before I wear them out ;)

The 6 suspension works together front to rear a bit better than the RSX. The 6 feels more planted, more neutral, and has better grip. The RSX is a good handler, and is still VERY fun to drive, but the 6 is the winner in the twisties.

To the rest of the car, there is little to complain about. The engine is just plain sweet. 7900 redline, and a sweet sweet song when you hit 6000+ rpm. True, it is a small honda 4cyl, and low end torque is not a big one, but compared to an Integra 1.8 motor, the 2.0L i-VTEC in the RSX has MUCH more useable around town torque. I find it a perfect balance of smoothness, willingness to rev, sound, fuel economy, and power. It sips fuel when you putt around, but has good get up and go when you want it. The engine is the gem of this car.

The shifter is superb. 6 speeds. Best shifter in a FWD car bar none. In fact, I would put it up there with the Mazda Miata and Honda S2000 as one of the best manual shifters in the world. The action is extremely precise, throws are incredibly short.

Seats are amazing as well. Extremely well bolstered yet very comfortable. Some of the best seats I've experienced, both comfort and performance-wise.

The steering is very nice, with a heavy, direct feel. Something is just *slightly* numb about it. If you like the 6's steering, imagine that, but with a bit more effort and thats the RSX. I like the small fat wheel too.

Overall, I'm still loving my car. I like the coupe look, and don't use the back seat. You can fit an awful lot in the back because of the hatch. The engine, gearbox, steering are all sweet. Handling is very entertaining.

Picked it up for $22,800 3 months after the car came out. Most people were settling for MSRP or higher, so we were VERY pleased with the price. You should be able to do the usual $500 over invoice now. Don't get that aero package. Looks bad, costs a lot. You'd be better spending that money on nicer rubber, or even maybe a rim/tire package.

The tires are what is holding this car back. Test drive it and you'll see what I mean. Honda always drops the ball when it comes to performance tires, and I'm still disappointed they use the same rubber on the Type S as they do on the base. Nearly everyone I've talked to would gladly pay a bit more to get better stock rubber.

If you are looking for a FWD small coupe, the RSX should be at the top of your list. Reliable and fun. Different car than the 6, but fun in a different way. Check it out.

·
Registered
432 Posts

Originally posted by Jerome81

I suspect the tires on the RSX have a big part of this, being 17" all season garbage michelins.......I would love to put better tires on my car, but can't bring myself to do so before I wear out the stock ones.[/b]
I thought the RSX came with 205/55/16's stock(?)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Originally posted by DRAGONS6

I just wanted to put up this post to say that today I went to look at an Acura RSX Type S at a dealership.  I was suprised at the price and the options that came w/ the Type S.  W/ the factory body kit and fog lights it was about 26k, pretty much what I payed for my 6s.  It comes w/ leather, moonroof, 6 disc cd changer, 6 spd , ect.  I'm not saying its better than the 6 but I'm going insane waiting for my 6 (its been two long moths) and I just wanted to look.  What do you guys think?[/b]
Nice car, but they'll murder you on the insurance. Anyone know if these cars are stolen and vandalized at the rate of the old Integras?

·
Registered
319 Posts

Actually I think you're right about the 16" rims. So used to seeing 17"s on the 6 sports that I mixed it up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts