Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read an article in Autoweek that puts the 80 thousand dollar, v8 420 HP, AWD RS4 down the 1/4 in 13.68?!?!?!?! Am i the only one that thinks thats terrible? My 28 thousand dollar MS6 can do that with a CAI and turbo-back exhaust.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My brother in law owns a 2004, the car is luxuriously equipped with many features so it's heavy as hell.
[/b]
The B7 Chassis RS4 has put down better numbers in other publications. They have gotten it down to around a 13 flat.

Again, as a former Audi S4 owner (B5 chassis), I can tell you that its NOT the luxury features that are the reason for their porkiness. They are heavy cars because they are heavy cars. The Quattro AWD system (using the heavier Torsen Diff) is one reason, , as even people who have stripped S4's of their interiors and sound deadening material have struggled to get below 3100 lbs with stock body panels.

That 80K mentioned in that Article is an out the door price with TT&L. But, yes, even without the tech package (without the Nav and Bluetooth), they are still talking ~70K.

Think of it this way: Our MS6's can put down numbers similar to a Porsche 911 Carerra. However, said Porsche is more refined interior-wise, is uses better plastics and leather, and comes with a Premium Nameplate.

Now, strap a second set of doors onto said car. You have an RS4. I dont think of it as a tarted Up A4. I think of it as a 4-door Porsche.

But, the interior IS freaking awesome on Audis. :) An Evo puts down numbers better than the RS4...but its not a Luxury car, either.

The RS4 is hot, but I am dying to see what the new CTS-V can do next year *drool*

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah- i've been in Audi's. My friend has an A4 Ultrasport Package. Its just beautiful inside. I wish the MS6 were more like that but then the price tag would also be more like that.

According to Autoweek this particular Rs4 which included Navi sits at a very hefty 3957lbs. Im sure that the right driver in the right situation could get that car to do a 13 flat- i mean after all, most magazines killed the MS6 quoting high 6 second 0-60's and a high 14 1/4 mile, thos of us who own and drive one know thats not anywhere close to the truth

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I agree, Audis interior is top notch! Besides who here loves a V8 in a family sized sedan :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Now, strap a second set of doors onto said car. You have an RS4. I dont think of it as a tarted Up A4. I think of it as a 4-door Porsche.
[/b]
but it is a tarted-up A4. :nana:

If you prefer to think of it as a 4-door Porsche you'd better think of it as a 4-door Porsche driving backwards. Open the hood, you'll find the centerline of the motor is out in front of the front axles like a typical front-driver...makes for great weight distribution. :sarc: Despite their prowess in the snow I'm firmly convinced that Audi (and the rest of VAG, for that matter) simply doesn't get it. Their approach to performance is always more, more, more. more gimmicks and more weight to go along with the horsepower. This is the way to bloated overpriced machines that break too often, not the way to performance.

·
Registered
531 Posts

If you prefer to think of it as a 4-door Porsche you'd better think of it as a 4-door Porsche driving backwards. Open the hood, you'll find the centerline of the motor is out in front of the front axles like a typical front-driver...makes for great weight distribution. :sarc: Despite their prowess in the snow I'm firmly convinced that Audi (and the rest of VAG, for that matter) simply doesn't get it. Their approach to performance is always more, more, more. more gimmicks and more weight to go along with the horsepower. This is the way to bloated overpriced machines that break too often, not the way to performance.
[/b]

+1

To compare that car to a porsche is a stretch. Even with all its gadgetry and higher quality interior materials, it's really just an overpriced luxury sedan.

How much better than a BMW 335i is this car? And I'm sure the beamer is faster in most situations, has a high quality interior, and a good nameplate. Yet it's about half the price.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Don't look at straight line performance.

The Audi RS4 is the fastest sedan ever to be driven on the Top Gear track - faster than the 2006 BMW M5, which boasts a 510HP V10.

·
Registered
206 Posts

[/b]
While I can't argue against the weight, Volkswagen AG actually does get it (or at least some do), as there has been internal bickering over whether or not to switch the A4 over to a new rear-wheel-drive platform. The costs were deemed too high, so instead with the next generation they will be using a new clutch and transmission that's more compact and can be placed farther behind the front axle for better weight distribution. Publicly owned corporations have a lot of overhead that often prevents radical, or needed, changes from being implemented quickly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts