1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, Below is my thoughts and review on the RS-R Sport-i Coilovers

Here is the Link if you are interested in buying after the review:
Click HERE for RS-R Sport-i

I recently purchased a 2015 Mazda 6 to basically start a project build since the new 6's look incredible. So of course the first step in the build was to start with Suspension, and I have been doing research all over the inter webs and with some personal experience with riding in multiple different cars with multiple different coil over systems, and the one that had me kind of amazed was the RS-R Coilovers. Especially after being able to meet Ben of RS-R while in California it definitely allowed me see that they have some great people behind the company.

I decided to do the install of the RS-R Coilovers myself since I have experience with installing other coil overs onto previous cars and friends car with no issues afterwards. Since hearing how easy the RS-R Coilovers are to install I figured these would be a breezy to put in.
Which they definitely were!!
As far as DIY ability is concerned; as long as you have any kind of knowledge with a tool you can do this yourself within a few hours.
On a scale of 1-10 on ease of install: 9/10 (the only reason its not a 10 is because it was hot as all hell that day lol)

With the help of a friend with the install, it was seriously one of if not the easiest coilovers I have ever installed. Unlike some Suspension systems where I would have to replace the Upper Pillow Mounts which would require spring compressors and a power drill, all of that is UNNECESSARY with the RS-R system.
With my setup I have the front and rear at max drop and the damping are on 30/32 stiffness. I was able to ride with the damping that stiff because the ride is still incredibly smooth especially considering how stiff I have the damping.

I documented as much of the install as I could to show you guys how the coilovers would look afterwards. Which you will see below.

Cons:
It may be a little bit pricing compared to other coilovers.

Pros:
HAND-BUILT IN JAPAN. (explains the price)
32-way adjustable (more adjustment than the usual coilover systems)
Easy install: 9/10
Strong Construction over the OEM struts
Smooth Ride (Even when I have the Damping on 30/32)
Awesome people behind the company!!

First Impression:
The quality of the Sport-I's are really impressive, they simplified as many pieces as possible with solid welds making the system equal to if not stronger that OEM quality, like in the photo below. Also I can't say enough about the ride quality with sharp and quick response, it feels like I can take corners a lot faster just to have fun once in a while. Considering that I drive 3000 miles a month with my car, I really needed to make sure that I bought the right coilovers for ride quality and longevity and I am positive I got the right company. Although I can't speak on longevity yet the quality of the coilovers has me reassured Ill have NO issues.

RS-R Sport-i On the RIGHT (Solid construction compared to OEM on the LEFT)

At the end of the day you get what you pay for, RS-R Sport-I coilovers may be a little more pricer than the average brand but I know I can install them with no issues and get them off of my mind, no worries about shocks going bad or any kind of issues that comes with other brands.

You can see the height difference vs the OEM, consider the Sport-i are far from full drop.

The only reason the install didn't get a 10/10 because it was like 100 degrees outside. :cool:

Packaging was solid and very well protected.

How the rear setup looks when installed.

Rear spring height difference!!

How the front setup looks when installed.

Before the Coils were installed

One side is done. Still needs to settle but you get the picture.

Fell in LOVE with the new drop!!

More to come on #ProjectSix. This is just the beginning.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Nice! Don't suspect I will be dropping completely like yours, but nice to know it's feeling good at full drop! I'm planning on a modest 1.5" but that always subject to change :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome drop. Can't wait to see the new Vossen wheels.
Thanks! Im just going to order the tires shortly, then once they come in the Vossen wheels will be mounted asap.

Nice! Don't suspect I will be dropping completely like yours, but nice to know it's feeling good at full drop! I'm planning on a modest 1.5" but that always subject to change :)
Lol, trust me once you go 1.5 and you see how smooth the ride is you'll definitely want to go lower. Especially since you won't go as stiff on the damping as I did lol. But nonetheless keep me updating on your changes I would love to see what they look like on the RSR coils as well.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks for the write up! Wish there was someone close by to me with the RSR setup so I can go for a ride along. After all, everyone seems to have a different definition of good ride quality haha.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thanks! Im just going to order the tires shortly, then once they come in the Vossen wheels will be mounted asap.

Lol, trust me once you go 1.5 and you see how smooth the ride is you'll definitely want to go lower. Especially since you won't go as stiff on the damping as I did lol. But nonetheless keep me updating on your changes I would love to see what they look like on the RSR coils as well.
Hahahaha...yup, I wouldn't be surprised if that 1.5 creeeeps down over time either! My last piece of unfinished purchasing is friggin wheels. I want to stick with 19" and not have to deal with spacers. Doesn't seem like Vossen has anything to offer in that range? I keep flip flopping...OZ, then Enkei, then back to OZ. lemme know if you have any good suggestions for me!...correction, the CVT's do come in 19 x 8.5 at 32mm offset which would prob work...hmmm so many choices!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice write up. I have these same coilovers and am also impressed with the construction and ride quality.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looks great and thanks for the write up. Not sure if it is the angle of the pictures but I wish the front came down a little more. Almost seems like the rear is a little lower but I guess you could always raise the rear just a bit if that is the case!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the write up! Wish there was someone close by to me with the RSR setup so I can go for a ride along. After all, everyone seems to have a different definition of good ride quality haha.
Agreed, but I can give my word the best ride in coils I have experienced especially at 30/32 stiffness.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks great and thanks for the write up. Not sure if it is the angle of the pictures but I wish the front came down a little more. Almost seems like the rear is a little lower but I guess you could always raise the rear just a bit if that is the case!
yea the rear is a squatting a little more than the front in that picture but all was adjusted afterwards, that picture was taken right after they were installed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SIDE NOTE::

I took the car for its first Long drive with a friend who owns a Slammed EVO X, and without saying a word he tells me its a lot smoother than his car and prob the smoothest he has driven in on coils. Plus I took an exit ramp a bit fast just for kicks to show him the grip I gained, and says I had less body roll than his EVO X that is lower than my six.

Before: Exit Ramp speed - Max 45 (before losing grip)
After: Exit Ramp speed - Max 65 (still more i can push since I only did it once)

[performed on closed course]

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Very nice and thanks for the review. RS-R does make a damn good product. Always been a fan. Now how about some CVTs on that 6? :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the review, those look indeed really nice.
In my case I just got a 14 plate from Mazda UK and the car belonged to the General manager of the branch (Mazda Romford UK).

My problem is that he already lowered the car which gives it a great look but after a month I have finally played a bit on the French countryside roads and OMG this is stiff! The car is bouncing way too much as I find it quite stressful...

I'm SURE I saw the option of lowering the car on Mazda's website but can't find it anymore so I have no idea what they put on.... Any of you know what Mazda put on?

Anyone from the UK has tried the RS-r? If I'm spending £1k is has to be good!!

For the story: I have been drunk lying on the back seats and the ride HURTS! I don't mind a slight stiff/sporty ride but this can only be described as uncomfortable! (I had a C4 VTS before)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks for the review, I am still looking at the possibility of coilovers if a year or so. I am happy that there are options popping up.

Ride quality is important to me, especially with a 1 year old in the car. My only other concern is my 6 sees very limited winter use, so I would hope these coilovers would be okay with the occasional salt/slush of winter time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I went to rsr's web site and they no longer have this coilover set?? Just drop springs.
Their website is weird. If you use their pull down menu and search for products for our car they do not come up, but if you click on coil overs and then click Sports-I and scroll through the pages they are listed. Just give them a call, I'm pretty sure they still sell them.

http://www.rs-r.com/product-category/sports-i-coilovers/page/3/

Mazda 6 Sports-i Coilovers 2014+ | RS-R USA

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm selling my RSR coilovers due to sale of the car. Let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts