Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2006 3.0L 5-speed manual.

When I take it up over 4k RPMs then shift, the engine will jump up another 500 RPMs when I let of the gas and hit the clutch. So if I start my shift at 4500 RPM, when I hit the clutch (and let off the gas), the motor jumps up to 5000 RPM. Anyone else experiencing this? Is this normal for the car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
your probably not taking your foot all the way off the gas before pressing down the clutch.
[/b]
I have the same issue with my 6s 05' 5speed. When taking the foot off the gas (even if not shifting) the rpm's rise another 300 to 500 rpms. It does bother me though, cause it will ware down my engine more. Im told its just inherent with 6 cylinders (my old car was a 4). When im back home for the holidays im gonna look into it more indepth, see if the computer or throttlebody are causing lag somewhere which is sometimes done by manufacturers for a smoother shift (becuase the rpms rise, when you shift you arent going into a larger difference of rpms the car doesn't jerk or slow down as much*(meaning the engine doesn't have to work as hard because its in a higher rpm)*. I'm hoping this is the issue and not that the engine just has more momentum so it takes longer for it to stop accelerating.

If anyone else has looked into this, or this is not a normal thing with the mazda6 please post and let us know.

As for shifting i'm driving more conservative becuase of this, but also because its a new car. No real tactics for avoiding it that I have found so far, just shift a little sooner and be a little slower with the shift. If your racing then its a different story, but it will be easier to redline so becareful.

·
Registered
156 Posts
This is normal behavior for a 6s

ok, i hope crossbow fills in the gaps... but about half a year ago, we had a person in our area that added a new gauge to his 6. I believe it was the vacuum line or soemthing. We watched as he started up his 6 and revved it in neutral. The gauge matched his foot motion and there was no lag. but we could hear the engine and could still see the rpm lagging.

This meant that our TB is actually working normally without lag but our Flywheel might be very heavy. Hence the lag from when you jam on the gas. this may also contribute to the rising rpms cuz the heavy flywheel still has alot of momentum. This doesnt hurt the engine in anyway and i'm sure mazda did this so that the car is easier to drive with the rpms dropping slower.

the true redline of our duratec is actually higher than what the rev limiter is so we're not even close to touching it. At VIR, crossbow and I constantly hit rev limiters and when we did shift correctly, the needle just touched 7000rpm. our cars are still running fine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is normal behavior for a 6s

ok, i hope crossbow fills in the gaps... but about half a year ago, we had a person in our area that added a new gauge to his 6. I believe it was the vacuum line or soemthing. We watched as he started up his 6 and revved it in neutral. The gauge matched his foot motion and there was no lag. but we could hear the engine and could still see the rpm lagging.

This meant that our TB is actually working normally without lag but our Flywheel might be very heavy. Hence the lag from when you jam on the gas. this may also contribute to the rising rpms cuz the heavy flywheel still has alot of momentum. This doesnt hurt the engine in anyway and i'm sure mazda did this so that the car is easier to drive with the rpms dropping slower.

the true redline of our duratec is actually higher than what the rev limiter is so we're not even close to touching it. At VIR, crossbow and I constantly hit rev limiters and when we did shift correctly, the needle just touched 7000rpm. our cars are still running fine. [/b]
Good to know.

Thanks. :drive:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks that saved me some trouble, I still dont like the idea that my car is reving higher then what im getting power out of. Anyone install a lighter flywheel and noticed a difference as far as the transitional rpms between shifts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
ImportRacerFF
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing