Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Situation: Driving on flat city roads at or around 25-45mph

Concern: When I remove my foot from the gas pedal, the rpms indicated on the tach and the engine as well drop to idle (i.e. 800) and remain there despite the car moving at almost 45 mph

Related concern: Since this has happened over the past 2-3 months, the car has felt sluggish and almost as though I am dragging an anchor behind me :tear:

Solutions or ideas: ???

Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm guessing no one even has a suggestion or a mere "hypothesis" to this beyond what I've already tried to figure out on my own? I would really really really appreciate input...

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Your transmission is slipping. Badly from the sound of it.

It could be something as 'simple' as a lack of transmission fluid. Which, if you've been driving that way for the past 2-3 months is no longer 'simple' anymore and would probably require a full transmission replacement.

It's probably more likely that your torque converter has failed.

In either case I hope you're still under warranty. Automatic transmission failures are never cheap. If it's the torque converter as it sounds like it is, the repair would probably be well over $2,000. If the problem has extended beyond that, you'd be looking at north of $3,000.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I saw this but really didn't want to reply as I wasn't sure. But my rpms are usually at about 1500 in fifth cruising around at 45mph , however when I take my foot off the gas, the drop isn't so drastic.

The lack of a quick response usually means no one on this forum have heard of or experienced that problem. Like Sigma suggested it may be the torque converter or an internal problem (worn out clutch pack) among other things. In any case you should have a mechanic at the dealer look at it and hopefully you're still under warranty.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm at 70k miles so I kissed the warranty goodbye awhile back...I'm hoping that its some not so drastic. However, I've got an appointment set up soon to have it checked out and see what the deal is, thanks for the input thus far.

-jUstin

·
Registered
10 Posts
Situation: Driving on flat city roads at or around 25-45mph

Concern: When I remove my foot from the gas pedal, the rpms indicated on the tach and the engine as well drop to idle (i.e. 800) and remain there despite the car moving at almost 45 mph

Related concern: Since this has happened over the past 2-3 months, the car has felt sluggish and almost as though I am dragging an anchor behind me :tear:

Solutions or ideas: ???

Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated...
[/b]
When cruising at any speed, when you take your foot off the go pedal, does it feel like you have tapped the brake pedal? Almost like slop in the drive train?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Somewhat I think...

Also, I think that the transmission itself is moving physically when stepping on the gas again. Not flooring it, but simply accelerating from coasting at any speed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
jzoom6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing