Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past couple of weeks I've been getting a drop in rpm when my car is at idle (at stop light or in my driveway). It drops from about 800 to about 600, then goes right back up. It's completly random, and only seems to happen when the car is warm. The car is an 03 v6 atx. I recently added an MAFci, not that that is the culprit, but its the only change i've made to the intake side of the engine. Anybody else experience this? I really hope its not a bad TB.

·
Registered
142 Posts
This has happened to me a couple times also. I just recently added the MAFci. The rpm's dip like the car is going to stall and then all is normal. I have no idea to the reason. I have the same car as you OneWheel. 2003 ATX V6.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Is the bottom line that it is not harmful to the car?? I called Anthony at CP-E and he has never really heard of this problem with other 6's. My car still runs perfectly fine and only once in a great while "hic-ups" while idling at a stop light. Maybe I should just ignore or try disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes for the hell of it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i get this too esp when the car is warm. manual tranny with airbox mod. its more prominent if i have the ac on and happens sometimes if i the fan is just on.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Odds are your car does this stock (but to a lesser degree) and you never noticed it. It's hard to notice, stock, because the car is quieter and it'll dip a little less- both of those factors combined make the problem one you'd have to see (on the tach) rather than hear or feel. That was certainly my experience.

Either that or you have your bumper inserts cut out and wind is blowing into your intake path. That would do it too. The MAF is sensitive- if gusts of wind can hit that intake tube, you can bet the MAF is going to detect that and flip out at the unexpected air. This, unfortunately, was also my experience!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Odds are your car does this stock (but to a lesser degree) and you never noticed it. It's hard to notice, stock, because the car is quieter and it'll dip a little less- both of those factors combined make the problem one you'd have to see (on the tach) rather than hear or feel. That was certainly my experience.

Either that or you have your bumper inserts cut out and wind is blowing into your intake path. That would do it too. The MAF is sensitive- if gusts of wind can hit that intake tube, you can bet the MAF is going to detect that and flip out at the unexpected air. This, unfortunately, was also my experience!
[/b]
I do have holes drilled in my insert and it was windy and rainy the day that it happened..... :mellow:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To me it seems like the car just gets a little confused. The RPM drops, comes back up and all is well. I did notice this issue before the MAFci, but it was to a lesser degree. You would only really notice it if it happened when you went to leave a light and the car kinda fell on its face. It doesnt seem to be harmful just annoying. I do have the PCM update that came out just before the rev limit brick wall one, maybe that is the issue.

I'm going to live with it for now. It seems to be amplified by cold weather and a warm car, and the cold weather is on its way out here.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The only time i notice my cars rpm drop is when i have the AC fans kick in. Does for a brief second then compensates. Do you have auto climate controlls? If so, after the car warms and hits running temperatue up it will switch the fans to blow at your feet from sort of non blowing ones to the winsheild. This almost always causes a small flux in my rpm needle. Could this be it for you?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry to resurect an old topic, but didn't feel like starting a new one.

I've noticed my RPMs dipping while the car idles as well.....don't think it's always done this....at least I just started noticing it recently. I have a 2005 Mazda 6s MTX. The RPMs will randomly dip, then go back up to normal idle RPM. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions for a fix?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
574 Posts
Mine does this every once in a while.. or idles just a little below 750..

I have only had one actual problem when this happens.. and it was when my PCM was fried.. but it not only dropped down to about 500.. but then it would rev itself up to 3000 and back down again.. and you push the gas and it waits about 6 seconds then revs up... its not a very happy thing to experience... :)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I solved a similar but much more anoying issue where the car ALMOST dies by cleaning the MAF via the 6tech guide. It has not resurfaced. At the time it would also stutter when suddently letting go then giving it gas as in a down shift or upshift. Since the cleaning its been purrin like a kitten.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Mine was doing this, I took CPE intake off, did not help. But it was lessened slightly. I took it to dealership, they replaced the throttle body. Problem has not come back since (and i have cpe back on)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had the same problem. 04 atx and it was worse when the corner grill got knocked out. It turned out to be the throttle body. Had it replaced almost 2weeks now and everything is good so far.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
Strobed6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing