Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did an oil change today. Decided to go with Royal Purple. I'v heard many good things about it. So far I haven't noticed much difference. Got it for 6.99/quart at my local PepBoys. I was wondering how long should I wait for my next oil change. 5000 miles should be enough right??? Anyone out there who use Royal Purple?? Should I have spent the extra money on this???

Also I bought some fuel injector cleaner. Will add on my next fill up.............

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
If you're using full synthetic, you can go at least 7500 miles. It can go longer but wait until you're out of warranty first.

·
Registered
475 Posts
what is better castrol syntec or royal purple?

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
what is better castrol syntec or royal purple?
[/b]
That's a million dollar question. It's like asking which one is better, Mobil1, Amsoil, Royal Purple, GC, etc.

All of them are good and if you're changing your oil every 7500 miles then you can use any of them with excellent result.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I drive mostly city. Like 80% city and 20% highway. I figure it should be good for atleast 5k miles.........

Also, I've read that Royal purple can increase hp.... Is this true or just BS??

·
Registered
635 Posts
Well I drive mostly city. Like 80% city and 20% highway. I figure it should be good for atleast 5k miles.........

Also, I've read that Royal purple can increase hp.... Is this true or just BS??
[/b]
It does in some cases where they dynoed it ... but dont expect to see any significant gains in power, your car will definately run smoother though ....

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
numbers don't lie...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have used royal purple in everything from a frontend loader to cummins diesale to my race bike and now my 6 with no problems. I change at 7500 or around and have seen an increase in mpg. Hp is so minimum that you won't notice. I get around 480-520 (at 80-85mph)miles out of a tank if all highway and around 440-460 if all stop and go driving in a 6i.

I love it...

·
Registered
900 Posts
I don't care what kind of oil you are using, or long long you are going to stretch that oil change interval, but you better keep changing that oil filter every 5,000 miles. ;)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Check Mobil 1 filters, some can go as high as 10K....

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
i switched to royal purple because i saw these videos.

http://www.royalpurple.com/video/video.html
[/b]
Well, that got me to look.

Those videos (at least the two I watched, which claimed top prove Royal Purple gives a horsepower gain) do not prove anything.

The problem is, you have no idea what the dino oil was that they drained before puting the RP in.

Taking the case of the 40 year old Mercury Comet with the hairy 1960s V8, chances are that it was running straight 50 weight dino oil, or at least 15W-40. Switching to the 5W-30 RP (he did say that was what he was putting in) would cut parasitic losses from the viscosity greatly. It is no surpriise that, after the change, the dyno showed an improvement. But it would have shown a similar improvement had he filled the crankcase with 5W-30 Havoline dino oil. (Would 5W-30 RP do a better job over time protecting what is left of the engine than 5W-30 Havoline dino? Probably, especially with long oil change intervals. But the claim was about horsepower, not protection.)

It is as if you took training weights off the ankles of an athlete, changed his brand of shoes, and claimed that the reason he runs faster without the training weights on his ankles is because of the switch of shoes.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Gibbs racing oil has some tests up that show RP allowing more HP than a few other synthetics and they give you more precise information.

·
Registered
375 Posts
i use rp in my TA ever since i did the first change... it is by far the best oil out there....

castrol sucks

but its just my opinion my father uses castrol in his nissan truck
391k miles in it right now and still runs like a champ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts