Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 3.0 mtx 75000mi

I am getting a rough idle the last few days. I got a CEL, but the problem stopped when I reset the ecu. Now the problem is back, and seems to be as bad if not worse than before. I recently replaced the pcv valve, and noticed the hose to that is connected to it was torn. I wrapped the hose in tape. Is this the problem, or is it something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't trust my local dealership!

also, I need to replace that hose either way, can someone tell me that part number?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Odds are the the rough idle is caused by the torn hose if it is still leaking. The manifold pressure is at it's lowest at idle so any leak really shows up. If you disconnect the PCV hose from the intake the car will barely run in most cases. Mazda swiched to a reinforced molded hose in 06 or 07, try to get one of those.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (TEK6 @ Feb 5 2010, 09:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634998
Odds are the the rough idle is caused by the torn hose if it is still leaking. The manifold pressure is at it's lowest at idle so any leak really shows up. If you disconnect the PCV hose from the intake the car will barely run in most cases. Mazda swiched to a reinforced molded hose in 06 or 07, try to get one of those.[/b]

Is that a direct fit with mine, or will I need to make some alterations to it?

also, is that the exact name of the part? If I go to the parts desk at mazda and tell them anything other than the exact name they will tell me the part does not exist!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'll look when I get home. I'm currently taking an 03 engine with the old style hose out of my car and putting in an 07 engine with the new style. I'll try to attach a picture of each.

·
Registered
585 Posts
[attachment=45006:IMG_3175.jpg]Hose should be direct fit. Part number(s) from green label of 07 molded hose are
5M8E-6K817-AF
M536F>AEM<

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (TEK6 @ Feb 5 2010, 07:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1635124
[attachment=45006:IMG_3175.jpg]Hose should be direct fit. Part number(s) from green label of 07 molded hose are
5M8E-6K817-AF
M536F>AEM<
62641[/b]

I called mazda and told them part number, and he said that he couldn't find anything that matched. Said he would check into it and get back to me on monday. In the mean time, is this something that I can just replace with a piece of tubing from the parts store or are the bends on this piece critical to the function?

**** Went to autozone, bought 1 foot of 19/32 rubber hose(reinforced/oil compatible) cut to length, and reinstalled. No more rough idle!! My 6 is purring like a kitten again!!

side note, I replaced the PCV valve while I was in there, and it was way more difficult this time than the first time that I replaced it. Would the cold weather have anything to do with it being so difficult?

I will post back next week and let you know if there has been any change in the outcome.
thanks TEK6 for your help

·
Registered
585 Posts
Good job. The hose on the 03 engine is just made up of hose and a plastic 90. They must of had problems with them colapsing because the one on 07 engine in the picture is very rigid molded rubber. The part numbers I gave you are probably actually Ford numbers and the dealer would have to cross reference them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will call on monday, and see if he has come up with anything. I would still like to replace this with the stock piece, but for now this will due!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One full week, no problems. I went back to the dealership to inquire about ordering a replacement part. He said that it would take to weeks to get it, and it would cost $83 plus tax. 83 dollars for two pieces of hose and a plastic elbow!!

·
Registered
585 Posts
QUOTE (untchbl88 @ Feb 13 2010, 11:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1636881
One full week, no problems. I went back to the dealership to inquire about ordering a replacement part. He said that it would take to weeks to get it, and it would cost $83 plus tax. 83 dollars for two pieces of hose and a plastic elbow!![/b]

$83 bucks ....OUCH.... Did that include the PCV valve? I see people complaining about part prices all the time from their local dealer, but I have been very satisfied with mine. I just picked up 3 things yesterday that I though were actually cheap/affordable: a passenger side CV Joint inner boot kit for $33.12 - included the boot, retaining bands and a can of grease!!!!, 2 differential joint axle shaft seals for $8.50 each and the rigid molded fuel line that goes from the firewall to the fuel injector manifold with the quick disconnects for $23.17.

Get the part number and call around to other dealers or look on line.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
funny thing is, my local dealer has a website that you can go to to order parts. when you finally find the part you need(if you can find it without the part number) it has two different prices. One is the regular price, and the other is the "You Pay" price. How ever, when you go the dealership, you have to pay the regular price unless you tell them the exact amount you saw it for on their website. For that matter, I have a card that is supposed to give me 20% off of parts and services that they gave me at the time of purchase, that is supposed to be valid for the life of the car in my name. When I showed the guy at the checkout window he said he had no clue what it was and wouldn't redeem it!

When at all possible live be the old saying: If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself

·
Registered
807 Posts
Had exactly the same issue on my car, PVC valve hose was cracked and partially collapsed. $1.00 piece of 5/8 hose fixed the problem. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Purely my opinion: Once the first vacuum hose gives out (as opposed to the PCV which was a poor design) you'd be wise to take a couple hours and swap all of them. As they age and degrade you're likely to see continued tiny vacuum leaks pop up. Vacuum leaks cause all kinds of weird, hard to diagnose issues on these cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts