Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got quoted 99 bucks for a brake pad installation (+rotors resurfaced/machined) from Just Brakes. I'm providing the brake pads (Hawks HPS). How much did others pay for the installation and from whom?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I was going to do them myself but is there a way to resurface the rotors yourself? Just Brakes told me that it would cost 89 to resurface all 4 rotors, and it'll just be $10 more to put the brake pads on because it's the same amount of labor involved.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Napa should be able to turn your rotors for about 25-35 per rotor, or any mechine shop that is, make sure you can machine them and stay in OEM specs though. I would also look into new rotor, if you can get brand new rotors for under 50 over their cost (the pair for under 140ish) then do that for sure, makes your life easier and the car will perform better.

EDIT, 89 for all 4 rotors is not a bad deal at all, I thought this was fronts only, your getting a good deal for shop work, i would still do it myself but with that price no one can be too hard on you!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
You can just go take part int he HELL of a discount that is going on in the group buy section for the new Brembo kit.... trust me it is a HELL of a damn deal for the set up.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
You can just go take part int he HELL of a discount that is going on in the group buy section for the new Brembo kit.... trust me it is a HELL of a damn deal for the set up.[/b]
good deal yes, but quite a stretch from a $100 brake job.

if your rotors aren't scored, grooved, or you aren't having any runout issues (brake pedal pulsing for example) you may well not need to resurface your rotors. if they are worn or damaged you might find that they are already under minimum thickness for resurfacing anyway. most manufacturers these days are playing it pretty close with rotor thickness and its not uncommon for a rotor to already be at or near to minimum thickness when its time for its first resurfacing.
if that were the case you could just pick up some new rotors and replace them yourself. you would need a micrometer to measure their thickness and compare it to the minimum thickness allowed.

if you're not racing or running track days with your car, the brembo kit, as good as it is is more than you need. i'm not knocking the kit, but it's not a necessary option for everyone.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yea I was going to do them myself but is there a way to resurface the rotors yourself? Just Brakes told me that it would cost 89 to resurface all 4 rotors, and it'll just be $10 more to put the brake pads on because it's the same amount of labor involved.[/b]

Last time I checked, if you take them off Advance auto, Auto Zone, and O'reillys charge around 10 bux a rotor to turn.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Last time I checked, if you take them off Advance auto, Auto Zone, and O'reillys charge around 10 bux a rotor to turn.[/b]
i might have to check into that... what mileage are you guys typically looking at when you are getting your rotors resurfaced?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I am changing mine at around 65k. I may be able to get them turned down, but when you can buy a front and rear set from like r1concepts.com for like 110 or so, i dont see why not just buy new rotors. Not worth taking it into the shop to have them turned down and them saying, oh sorry they are too close to spec to turn you need new rotors, which a shop will charge you out the ass for, and if you dont do that they may charge you like a 30 dollar lift fee, and now your out money and time and still no rotors...

·
Registered
168 Posts
i might have to check into that... what mileage are you guys typically looking at when you are getting your rotors resurfaced?[/b]
I bought my car used with 8k miles on it and the rotors were already warped. Just had them turned last week at the dealer, under warranty. Not sure if our rotors just suck or how the previous owner drove the car, but we'll see how long it lasts. FYI - The dealer here charges $150 to turn the rotors, ouch.

-Nik

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.