Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took all the 5w40 Synthetic Rotella I bought for the Speed6 back to Wally's for credit. I finally changed the oil yesterday to get the 10w30 Redline Synthetic out (after 5k miles on it) and put in the Rotella. I also changed the plugs and found the turbo and intercooler were perfectly clean with no oil, so the motor and turbo are in great shape. I found the #3 plug had more crud built up on the center and side electrodes and the other 3 were in perfect shape after 20k miles. Anyway, I took it out for a drive today and after ~25 miles or so to get it all up to temp, I opened 'er up for a bit of test & tune. The car ran great in the 20 deg weather and I headed home after about 3 trips up through 2-4th gear to redline. I got home and drove it into the garage and shut 'er down pretty pleased with the AP tune changes I made. Well, WTF!? Is that oil streaming out from under the hood, down the fender and side of the car? Yep, the dipstick was pushed up out of the tube by the crankcase pressure! Needless to say, I was pretty pissed about the mess.

At this point I blamed the heavier viscosity oil for the problem and drained it right out. I did notice when pouring it in that it was pouring much slower than the 10w30 Redline and obviously thicker at the same temps. I'll put the 10w30 Redline back in it and be happy. I've beat the car HARD many times on the 10w30 Redline with no issues. It seems the Rotella oil is too thick for high rpm use. Much more suited to low revving, high load diesels It either blocked the PCV, stayed in the bottom of the motor, or didn't seal the rings, any of which could lead to excess pressure in the crankcase. I'm sure the Shell gives great UOA results and it is WAY cheaper than the Redline, but it(Rotella) won't be going back into any of my cars again. Oh well, it sure sounded like a good oil from the forum reports, but I call it a bad deal for high revving gasoline engines. YMMV

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sounds very bizarre, I would assume it was a fluke, I have been running 5W40 rotella for over a year with no issues at all, as have others. But to each his own.

is it possible you checked your oil level before you went for your drive and did not put the dipstick all the way back in?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (zoom1&zoom2 @ Jan 10 2010, 06:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1628687
Sounds very bizarre, I would assume it was a fluke, I have been running 5W40 rotella for over a year with no issues at all, as have others. But to each his own.

is it possible you checked your oil level before you went for your drive and did not put the dipstick all the way back in?[/b]
Good idea for a possible cause, but I'm quite sure the dipstick was all the way in. I'm just lucky I suppose. With BSD, 7 qts puts the level just under (1/16") the full mark. I am running 21 psi boost and shift it around 6500 rpm which may be a bit different from most folks running the 5w40 Rotella. I'm in VA, so we do have "cold" weather as well.

I should probably put this into another thread, but I've made a few tuning changes that eliminated the stumble at high rpm lift-throttle shifts. There is/was a bug in the ATR that kept the OL/WOT Commanded AFR at 6500 rpm at a set value much richer than the extrapolated value it should have been. You could change it and save map, but it really wasn't saving the value. It would revert back to the "default" when the map was closed. A recent update to ATR fixed it and now you can set it to any value desired. I also raised the basic rev limiter just a bit to prevent overrun into the basic limiter when you hit the clutch to shift. Even with the ATR FFS limiter set to 6500, the momentum of the flywheel would carry the motor into the limiter (without using FFS).

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Hmm that's odd. I just switched two weeks ago to Rotella T Syn 5w-40 from Schaeffer 9000 5w-40 and my car feels better so far, especially in the cold weather.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (triplejumper18 @ Jan 10 2010, 09:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1628705
Hmm that's odd. I just switched two weeks ago to Rotella T Syn 5w-40 from Schaeffer 9000 5w-40 and my car feels better so far, especially in the cold weather.[/b]
Yeah, mine seemed to run great as well. It was quite a shock when I saw the oil everywhere. I've heard of the dipstick popping up on forced induction cars with excessive crankcase pressure, but I've never had it happen on any of my cars before. It does seem kinda odd, but the only thing different was the oil/viscosity rating. I'll refill with the 10w30 Redline and re-run the scenario to see what happens.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I have opened my hood to the same surprise as you. I was running rotella at the time but only happened when I put in the ptp smokey turbo fix. After I switched back to 5w-40 amsoil I havent had the issue.

·
Registered
378 Posts
i have been running the shell for about 4500 miles now.. works great for me..

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (Qwik6 @ Jan 10 2010, 11:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1628742
I have opened my hood to the same surprise as you. I was running rotella at the time but only happened when I put in the ptp smokey turbo fix. After I switched back to 5w-40 amsoil I havent had the issue.[/b]

Hmmm, that could be the culprit. I do have the PTP restrictor in, but I've never had any issues before with the Redline oil. I suppose it may be some characteristic of the Rotella formula that tends to creat more crankcase pressure? Anyway, I'll be staying with the Redline for my forced induction cars.

You know that Amsoil and Redline are the only two oils on the market (AFAIK) that are ester-based(non-petroleum) and not a direct "synthetic" derivative of a base dino oil.

Reactions: Dannobanno87

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
QUOTE (FORZDA 1 @ Jan 11 2010, 08:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1628814
Hmmm, that could be the culprit. I do have the PTP restrictor in, but I've never had any issues before with the Redline oil. I suppose it may be some characteristic of the Rotella formula that tends to creat more crankcase pressure? Anyway, I'll be staying with the Redline for my forced induction cars.[/b]
I have the PTP restrictor in also. I will keep an eye on it but it's been about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (triplejumper18 @ Jan 11 2010, 11:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1628820
I have the PTP restrictor in also. I will keep an eye on it but it's been about 2 weeks.[/b]
I'm thinking the issue (at least for me) only came up after a few trips to max revs fairly close together in time. I had already driven quite a ways and run it WOT a few times, but not WOT to redline in 2nd thru 4th gear. I'm pretty sure the dipstick was finally pushed up enough to allow oil out as I neared my house at the end of the "session". That may be the kicker that allowed it to happen, that is if you beat on it several times in succession, it MAY push the dipstick out. It may only affect those of us set up to allow the car to make lots of power well past 6k rpm?

Later yesterday I stopped by Advance Auto and bought a couple of o-rings for the dipstick as well. I wanted to make sure it fit snuggly as the o-ring and stick friction are the only things keeping the dipstick seated. The 6mm ID, 10mm OD, 2mm thick o-rings fit the groove perfectly and are slightly thicker than the OEM o-ring to provide more friction in the tube. The dipstick has noticeably more resistance to go in/out.

I REALLY don't want to clean up a mess like I have now any more than once. I'm spraying a bit of parts cleaner around the worst sections and letting the car drip onto newspapers over a few days to get the worst of it before I try to clean it back to showroom clean. The cold weather and snow crap we're having in VA right now is interfereing with my "projects"!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I still might have to try the o-rings. There isnt much force at all to remove mine. It usuaully is popped up a 1/4" when I pop the hood.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
been using rotella for 15k+ miles nothing ever happened with mine... although im vented well! :eek:

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
QUOTE (triplejumper18 @ Jan 10 2010, 09:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1628705
Hmm that's odd. I just switched two weeks ago to Rotella T Syn 5w-40 from Schaeffer 9000 5w-40 and my car feels better so far, especially in the cold weather.[/b]
Didnt like the SS? Ive been running it for aout a year. put about a mile on it so far without a problem.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
What kind of oil pressure and temp are you seeing?

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
I have been running Rotella T for two years (3 winters now) and 15k miles without any issues. :drive:

·
Registered
156 Posts
QUOTE (FORZDA 1 @ Jan 10 2010, 05:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1628684
Well, I took all the 5w40 Synthetic Rotella I bought for the Speed6 back to Wally's for credit. I finally changed the oil yesterday to get the 10w30 Redline Synthetic out (after 5k miles on it) and put in the Rotella. I also changed the plugs and found the turbo and intercooler were perfectly clean with no oil, so the motor and turbo are in great shape. I found the #3 plug had more crud built up on the center and side electrodes and the other 3 were in perfect shape after 20k miles. Anyway, I took it out for a drive today and after ~25 miles or so to get it all up to temp, I opened 'er up for a bit of test & tune. The car ran great in the 20 deg weather and I headed home after about 3 trips up through 2-4th gear to redline. I got home and drove it into the garage and shut 'er down pretty pleased with the AP tune changes I made. Well, WTF!? Is that oil streaming out from under the hood, down the fender and side of the car? Yep, the dipstick was pushed up out of the tube by the crankcase pressure! Needless to say, I was pretty pissed about the mess.

At this point I blamed the heavier viscosity oil for the problem and drained it right out. I did notice when pouring it in that it was pouring much slower than the 10w30 Redline and obviously thicker at the same temps. I'll put the 10w30 Redline back in it and be happy. I've beat the car HARD many times on the 10w30 Redline with no issues. It seems the Rotella oil is too thick for high rpm use. Much more suited to low revving, high load diesels It either blocked the PCV, stayed in the bottom of the motor, or didn't seal the rings, any of which could lead to excess pressure in the crankcase. I'm sure the Shell gives great UOA results and it is WAY cheaper than the Redline, but it(Rotella) won't be going back into any of my cars again. Oh well, it sure sounded like a good oil from the forum reports, but I call it a bad deal for high revving gasoline engines. YMMV[/b]

The operating visc of the RTS is not much differnt than the RL. RL holds its viscocity pretty well under heat compared to just about every other oil out there, so I doubt the RTS visc was the issue. perhaps over full? I do like the how clean you comment your motor is though. FWIW the RTS has felt the best in my S6 to date, but the RLI isnt far behind and it does much better in this F'n cold we are having here lately.

·
Risickulous
4,862 Posts
I've been blowing out the dipstick long before Rotella. Whoosh had the same problem and never put any 40wt in IIRC. I had to do the spring on the dipstick mod to keep mine in. If the old DSM's didn't blow out the dipstick they weren't running enough boost. It's not the Rotella's fault. LOL

1 - 20 of 37 Posts