Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GT 2.5T
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just starting a build thread for my 2020 6 grand touring. I purchased the car in April 2021 and the goal for the car is to be a solid daily driver. I want it to handle fairly well and will focus on the suspension mostly. I don't really have any plans of touching the engine minus the Corksport intake I already put on the car.

Here she is in her stock glory:

·
Registered
2020 GT 2.5T
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Godspeed Mono SS Coilovers Installed (April 2022)

Finally got around to installing my Godspeed Mono SS coilovers last week(as some may have seen in the main thread). Overall it was a fairly simple install with the exception of my rear struts being rust welded to the lower stud mount(I live in MN and this car was driven through the past winter). I needed to grind them off. That took a while to do and the entire install spanned two days. I would say though if your factory rear struts come right out this is a couple of hours job easily. The fronts went in quickly and easily.

Some shots after the install:

I went fairly low with it though not tucking. I am actually surprised that there is zero rubbing at that height and I tested her out pretty good. I only had 2 issues:
1) There were 3 different conflicting pieces of info regarding the preload of the springs. One saying they were set from the factory(which they weren't as I could move the spring up and down on the sleeve of the shock). On their website there are 2 different spots they talk about preload one says 5-10mm and the other said 10mm strictly. I called Godspeed and the person I talked to said zero preload but I'd have to play with it. I played with it a bit and got it set pretty good at around 5mm. zero and 10mm gave me some noises.
2) I am also getting some chattering when hitting rapid smaller bumps at low speeds. This is because the end links that they sent with the coilovers are way too short and couldn't be used so I am currently running the factory ones. That is causing the end link to hit the lower control arm. I have longer ones on the way and should be here in a few days. I'll provide an update when I get them in.

Overall really happy with them so far. Definately an improvement in handling. Way less body roll and much better steering response. The ride quality is definately a bit bumpier than stock but I was actually expecting worse. My dampening is set right in the middle between soft and stiff. Ill provide a longer term review later on this summer.

·
Registered
2020 GT 2.5T
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chrome Delete (April 2022)

Finished up the front and rear chrome delete using black vinyl wrap.

Finished shots:

I am planning on plastidipping the rear emblems and side window chrome sometime in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
2020 GT 2.5T
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Two things.

1. Those side shots with the coilovers installed are gorgeous.

2. Any issues with bump-steer after the drop?
1. Thanks! Pretty happy with how it came out. Think I'm gonna bring it up a tiny bit though now that it has settled in a bit.
2. Very very minimal. Not even anything I'd complain about.

·
Registered
2020 GT 2.5T
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks @GTEyes and @REmode! I'm going for the murdered-out look.

I have always been about handling. To me, nothing beats a good handling car! Plus this is planned to be a daily so I don't really want to touch the engine much. The 2.5T is plenty for my needs for what I am using it for.

As far as the headlights go I am fine with the ones now. I have other things planned first. Rear sway bar, new tires, and possibly new wheels further down the road.

·
Registered
2020 GT 2.5T
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
End Link Update (May 2022)

Got the correct length end links from Godspeed and installed them. Chatter is greatly reduced but not completely gone. I installed them in a hurry so I still have some adjusting to do but I'd say one more round of adjustments and it should be good to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts