Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm a new owner of a 2017, white 6. Having never installed a rack system before, I'm a bit overwhelmed with all of the options out there. Thule, Yakima, OEM?! I have a stock Touring model, and I don't know what I need besides a thin, quiet rail system.

Do you have recommendations for which brand offers the best rails for our cars? I'm expecting to use it for a ski rack right now. It would be great if I could find a second hand pair of rails, so it's important that I could find the recommended rails 2nd hand. I'm in Denver, so it probably won't be a huge issue.

I'm curious what other information is important to know when installing these systems. E.g. mounting brackets not included with Thule and Yakima, tools required, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Your 2017 has hidden brackets under the roof seam reveal mouldings. The mouldings get replaced with new ones from Mazda that have little plastic removable "doors" in them to allow access to the threaded brackets. These are probably the cleanest method to bolt down the "towers" that support the bars. It is really, really important to carefully install the towers and NOT to overtorque the bolts!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your 2017 has hidden brackets under the roof seam reveal mouldings. The mouldings get replaced with new ones from Mazda that have little plastic removable "doors" in them to allow acess to the threaded brackets. These are probably the cleanest method to bolt down the "towers" that support the bars. It is really, really important to carefully install the towers and NOT to overtorque the bolts!
Awesome info. Do you know a good OEM part provider? There seems to be many for Mazda parts and I'm not sure which are reputable.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
These are Mazda3 ones. I would have to think that Mazda6 ones are very similar...

Additional info: I provide a snap of the Sportrack units that fit my Honda Civic, and that I adapted to my old Corolla. For the 2 dr Civic I use a "short roof adapter" from Sportrack that ties front rack to back one, in a way. Both of these arrangements happen to be very, very stoutly affixed to the cars. They are a cheap Thule-owned brand... and notably they do not use bolt-on towers. It's my personal sense that you should be extremely conservative with the bolt-on tower-style OEM or other mfr-provided tower style. I say this because I believe the in-roof brackets they mount to are quite weak and easy to bend if loads are heavy or if the tower bolts are overtightened. The gutter style units have negatives too: they can dent the roof if the tilt-pads are mal-positioned, and they can b*gger-up the door-surround rubber mouldings.

Check with forum member Byakuya what his experience has been... I think he has Thule's... tower-style.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,296 Posts
If you're still not convinced or want to check anything else out, I've got a full list of parts for my Thule setup and pics in my build thread.

Here's a real good discussion on other rack options as well: 2014 Mazda6 Roof Rack Options

Which includes/verifies the OEM numbers that @Cdn17Sport6MT gave you:
These are mazda part numbers GHY1509H0 (right) and GHY1509L0 (left). They're available from USA mazda dealers for about $25 each. No idea why they aren't listed as an available accessory on the website, but they are definitely available and there's no need to locate one from Canada.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts