Mazda 6 Forums banner

Roof/luggage rack

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  DrFeelGood 
#1 ·
Good evening,

There's several OLD threads about adding roof racks to Gen 1 wagon, but nothing too recent or useful. I'd like to add one to my 2004. It looks like I have the "channels" where they install and I can get them from a salvage yard. Has anyone self installed these? In tips?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I haven't done it but there are threaded holes in those top rail grooves on top of the car. I'm sure they just screw into that.

#4 · (Edited)
@banzairx7
They screw right in. You have to remove the headliner to do it. You also have to drill six holes to mount the rack, but they are already marked.

Be prepared to take all the interior trim out of the car to get to the roof liner. You have to take the sides off to get to the B , C and D pillars. Consider putting a new head liner on when its off because that darn thing falls pretty much all at once. Use high heat headliner glue.
I have an aftermarket rack on mine and it works well even if it is not a cool as the (Euro) style OEM Mazda rack. It does have the advantage of screwing in from the exterior. Previous owner did it not me.

For the "Side Rail Kit" GM9L-V4860F
for the "Cross Bar kit" 0000-8L-H03

Installation pictures from - @adamk0

Aftermarket roof rails

Attachments

#5 ·
Uuuggghhh. That's way too much work and risk (of a drooping healiner) for me. I guess my wagon will be rack free. Thanks for all the information.

Even without a rack it looks really good for an 04 "Dadwagon". I will post some pics soon.

#6 ·
Uuuggghhh. That's way too much work and risk (of a drooping healiner) for me. I guess my wagon will be rack free. Thanks for all the information.

Even without a rack it looks really good for an 04 "Dadwagon". I will post some pics soon.
The headliner won't droop if you take it down, but, if it is starting to up front it could get worse.

If you find one at salvage you will learn all the steps to pulling the panels and rack so when you do your car it will be very quick and clean. Don't forget to take pictures as you proceed.

#7 ·
This is something i, also want to do eventually. My headliner though is pretty new and I don't want it to mess up. I guess though, if you can take the whole thing off gently enough to re use then its okay. Around me there are just no wagons avail to take parts off of!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.