Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a project I plan on tackling in the somewhat near future. With it potentially being the first privately owned MS6 with a fully functional SCCA approved roll cage, I want to do a fine job representing the car. So, here is my idea: First is typical, stip it to see what we are working with and decide on an approved bar pattern (there are a few styles they accept). Then I'll have to make the decition of interior. I could A: reinstall my stock interior, B: get some custom interior made, C: leave it gutted to compliment the cage. I am at a crossroad here because I like the current interior just fine, but I wouldn't want to ruin it just in case. I could get some custom interior made that can conceil or compliment the cage. But, then again, the stucture of the inside of the car may be quite visually appealing as well (as the case is with my buddies wrx wagon). What to do???

Edit: Ooops, something happened with my network and I accidentally double posted. Anyone know how to delete the topic?

·
Registered
940 Posts
This is a project I plan on tackling in the somewhat near future. With it potentially being the first privately owned MS6 with a fully functional SCCA approved roll cage, I want to do a fine job representing the car. So, here is my idea: First is typical, stip it to see what we are working with and decide on an approved bar pattern (there are a few styles they accept). Then I'll have to make the decition of interior. I could A: reinstall my stock interior, B: get some custom interior made, C: leave it gutted to compliment the cage. I am at a crossroad here because I like the current interior just fine, but I wouldn't want to ruin it just in case. I could get some custom interior made that can conceil or compliment the cage. But, then again, the stucture of the inside of the car may be quite visually appealing as well (as the case is with my buddies wrx wagon). What to do???

Edit: Ooops, something happened with my network and I accidentally double posted. Anyone know how to delete the topic?
[/b]
Just edit the topic and delete the text and tag title as DELETE maybe? Dunno

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

·
Registered
3,546 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
lol... things been around for like 3 years now... silly

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Umm... don't roll the car? I suppose if you plan to rally race it? Or some shit.... But goddamn... the car weighs enough as it is.. in fact thats the reason we are gettin stomped by other performance 4 doors on the market... we weigh a ton!!!!

Adding more metal incase you flip it.. ???

Or did I miss the point and this is like CF shift knob.... pointless.. but just for looks?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Also incredbly dangerous unless you drive with a 5point harness and helmet all the time. I responed once to a VW that was tboned at low speed. Guy would have survived if he hadnt caged the car. Metal bars dont give as much as your head. Also carful with all the airbags when stripping.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
atom44wat should be picking up his autopower cage on friday. this is not a sanctioned cage at all (most versions). more for ragidity and a place to mount harnesses.

and as wheels said, if you are going with a sanctioned cage, depending on what series you plan on running, it's not a good idea for a daily driver. there are too many obstructions and things to hit on a hwy/street collision. a sanctioned cage assumes you are wearing a helmet and using harnesses. daily driving you don't use harnesses and .....i'd hope, not wearing a helmet.

given there are cages out that flow very well with the lines of the car so they aren't obtrusive at all, i've seen them. in fact, i've seen them on plenty of SHOW CARS, as they typically aren't sanctioned cages.

....take what i say with a grain of salt however, cause the cage falls just after my seats on my budget plan, so i'll be driving around town with a cage as well....but i'm pretty dumb.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
at first i thought you were getting the rollcage because of the ihra rules in dragracing.
but after looking in the book:

14:00 & Up
Catch can
Seat Bealts
Neutral Saftey Switch

Helmet Snell 90 or Higher

11.50 - 13.49
Roll Bar or Roll Cage For Convertibles

10.00 - 11.49
Aftermarket Rear Axles (10.99)
Harmonic Balancer (10.99)
Transmission Shield (10.99)
Drive Shaft Loop
Current Seat Belts (5 Point SFI)
Flywheel Shield
Fire Jacket
Arm Restraints (Open Cars)
Roll Cage/Roll Bar
Window Net for Roll Cage

you wont actually need a role cage with this car..... well not for a while yet anyways...

unless your thinking of lopping the top of the mazda speed off and making it convertable ;)

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
unless your thinking of lopping the top of the mazda speed off and making it convertable ;)
[/b]
Hmmm...Think it could be done? :p

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you check AWR website they have a cage installed in a Speed6 they are building for Mazda as a Pace Car. Talk to them if you want. But I still would not install one or aftermarket seats. Side air bags are amazing for saftey. I dont want to sound like a sissy, but once you have been to enough accidents, you view of whats cool changes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts