Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a project I plan on tackling in the somewhat near future. With it potentially being the first privately owned MS6 with a fully functional SCCA approved roll cage, I want to do a fine job representing the car. So, here is my idea: First is typical, stip it to see what we are working with and decide on an approved bar pattern (there are a few styles they accept). Then I'll have to make the decition of interior. I could A: reinstall my stock interior, B: get some custom interior made, C: leave it gutted to compliment the cage. I am at a crossroad here because I like the current interior just fine, but I wouldn't want to ruin it just in case. I could get some custom interior made that can conceil or compliment the cage. But, then again, the stucture of the inside of the car may be quite visually appealing as well (as the case is with my buddies wrx wagon). What to do???

·
Registered
364 Posts
Only way to do it right is go to a reputable cage builder and have them spec it out per your requirements and rule book per the association/class you're running in.

Do you intend on making your car a track dog or are you simply putting a cage in for bling factor?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Functional asthetics, if you will. I do enjoy tracking my car(s) as often as possible, but I want it to look nice to. I've got a shop that does cages all the time for alot of different applications. They say they can pretty much do it however I want it.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Functional asthetics, if you will. I do enjoy tracking my car(s) as often as possible, but I want it to look nice to. I've got a shop that does cages all the time for alot of different applications. They say they can pretty much do it however I want it.
[/b]
From all I have read over the years and talking to people that build them, having one in a street car is just more dangerous since it is unlikely that you will be wearing helmet, etc (even padded, wacking a steel bar at speed is dangerous.) Plus other places you could get hung up in... Just my two cents. Part of me thinks it would be cool, part thinks it would look out of place on this car and the other part says - Oooooh neat - lemme see some pics. :drool:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Cages are a real bad idea in a car that is going to be driven on the street. Metal tube, and a bare skull dont mix well. If you still insist then the best cage I saw was on a Porsche GT3 it was made of stainless stell, all polished up. It sure was purty. He painted the section by the windshield becuse he said the glare was dangerous.

But like I mentioned in another post, I have been to a crash were the guy would have survived if he hadnt put in a roll cage. Definatly think twice. Or atleast only do a rear cage and never let anyone ride in your back seat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts