Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new here and first time posting. Right now I am in the middle of rebuilding a friends mazda 2.3. The 4th cylinder rod bearing is completely shot and I needed to break his motor apart to replace it. Now I am at the point of ordering parts and I am wondering where I would be able to find just the bearing set (I am going to replace all of them obviously) and gaskets. I looked on napa and autozone and cant find anything so I figured I would join the forum and ask some experts. So if anyone could chime in on where to get some parts for this kids cars that would be awesome. Its a 2005 mazda 6 2.3. Would it be easiest just to go to a dealership?

Also...I am trying to find the reasoning for this spun bearing....when I drained the oil it only had about a quart and a half left...he generally rides his car hard and puts a lot of miles on so I am wondering if because of that he just ran his car into the ground or was there a head gasket failure? Dont see any oil residue anywhere around the head but I figured I would ask. Another odd thing I found with the motor was 3 loose bolts...2 above the oil pump that hold the crankshaft in (completely loosened up just sitting on top of the pump), and behind the timing cover one of the bolts were loose for the timing sprocket. Odd no? Any opinions on if this could have caused the problem would be much appreciated as well as info on the parts.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

-Joey

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try the dealership for the bearings. In my case I took a turn too hard, no baffles in the oil pan, caused my bearing to spin

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
though not a true windage tray, the combination of the stock baffle and balance shaft to a pretty damn good job and not leaving the oil to slip around, even at very hard cornering....anything possible, but i did dozens of track days on the stock engine without any issues.

you could also check with F2usa.com, they have access to everything for the engine. maybe Sheldon @ Mazmart could help source parts as well?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Maybe I read wrong, but you only drained a quart and a half out of the motor?!
Problem solution: tell you friend to check his damn oil once in a while!

I read somewhere that the design of the 6's timing system is kinda chintzy. Something about the crank pully being very easy to mess up cause there is no keyway on either the crank, or something like that. If that's the case I would imagine the rest of the sprockets are like that too.

Mr tea: because of your relationship with f2, I'm surprised you didn't get them to develop an oil pan baffle. :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Maybe I read wrong, but you only drained a quart and a half out of the motor?!
Problem solution: tell you friend to check his damn oil once in a while!

I read somewhere that the design of the 6's timing system is kinda chintzy. Something about the crank pully being very easy to mess up cause there is no keyway on either the crank, or something like that. If that's the case I would imagine the rest of the sprockets are like that too.

Mr tea: because of your relationship with f2, I'm surprised you didn't get them to develop an oil pan baffle. :)
F2 has an oil pan baffle, I bought one and I'm just waiting to install it on my car.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
yeah, it's been on my car since '05, i didn't mean they didn't have anything...just that the stock system isn't bad at all if the balance shaft is still there.

i don't see that being the problem here though

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I bring the crank to the machine shop do I need to bring the rods with it? and what size bearings should I bring along? .010 under?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts