Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an idea I have been having. I'd like it if there was a Motorsport accessable to the whole groop of us, the solution is a road rally.

A google search will give you information on what a road rally is. In brief, its a touring event at speedlimit or close to limit speeds.

For our 'rules' i was thinking this.

Time: Night, dark, less cars on the road, and feeds into the endurance nature.
Distance: Endurance and navigation being key. Long streches of curvy roads, Oahu is not great, but kam hwy at night will do the job.
Speed: while i'd like to tell everyone to drive the speed limit... I'ts low on island for the roads. solution is two options.
1. Estimate 'your time' based on the provided route, whoever is closest to their estimated time FTW!
2. Estimate 'your time' based on the provided route, whoever is closest to their lowest estimated time. We'd make up a point based system for both the lowest time ran and the closest to your estimate.
I want consistancey of driving, 'navigation' and driving endurance to be key to 'winning'

we would stage at 11-12PM and then having been provided the rally route the day before the rally would be staged out, partisipants would leave one every 5 minutes after turning in their estimated time.
Time would be something like Hour.Minute.Second, 0.00.00, so to the second, that's how close we can go.

Let me know who would be interested, what you guys think, etc.

·
Registered
922 Posts
a little cornfused I am, but I'm game...

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a little cornfused I am, but I'm game...[/b]
Ask away, what am I explaining poorly, besides everything? :laugh:

Not sure about when everyone/whoever would want to do this but it is an idea for a little race we could run as a club, but assuming it'd be on a Friday or Saturday night.

Basically the event would be:

Week before running: anyone interested says, 'OK I'M IN'

Day before event: I'd post the route, from meeting point then taking various posted roads to circle the island. based on this information, you would write down your name and estimated time to circle the island with this route. i.e. Dave ET: 02:45:37
Obviously, since I’d be picking the route, I’d kind of not be running to win since I’d have more time to prep and map out the course. poo for me! OR to make it more challenging we could meet up then have the route provided to those driving? only give 15 to 30 minutes to look over the route and estimate time? What do you guys think?

The event: Then once everyone is ready, drivers are sent out at 5 minute brackets to space the drivers. I think a good way to time this would be for everyone to pick up a cheapo stop watch that you could punch as you were leaving and 'clock out' upon arrival back at the meeting point. we would be on an honor system as far as taking the route provided, but if you get lost, its time gained or lost, the lowest time not necessarily winning. (the closest to estimate or lowest & closest time based on a point/elimination system I would have to figure out...) This is something I will have to work on and need your input on.

(To elaborate :p : Say someone [ :ninja: ] runs it in 02:00:00 and they estimated that it would take them 03:00:00 and some one else [ :nana: ] Runs a 02:45:00 and they estimated it would take them 02:35:00.
I want [ mister :nana: ] to beat [ mister :ninja: ] because of a more accurate time regardless of time taken, but
[ mister :drive:] beats both because he estimated a 02:30:00 and drove a 02:26:00.
So under this system, instead of points, making a list of the closest +/- to estimated times, then picking whoever's time was lowest.
I just don't want people driving like madmen at 2 in the morning. So an average total course speed may have to be implemented instead or a undisclosed 'course time', there are several ways to go here so that’s why I'm asking you guys what you think. /long confusingness )

I suggest reading up on some online things this is a great place to find out how other road rallies are run: http://www.goss.com/rally.htm

What you need:
Full tank of Gas
Stopwatch
Map
Caffeine
Water
Iron bladder
a car with Headlights

May need:
Food
a partner - could be a great advantage, or if you want to run as a team!
Music
another stopwatch or watch and notepad to track your time -> a navigator would come in handy here!

My concerns:
- Speeding, this as a 'club sponsored/sanctioned/planned' event, I don't want people going crazy on the roads, but I don't want some one saying it will take five hours and puttering along.
- Boredom, I don’t want it to be lame and boring, I want you to drive at least a little sporty. :ninja:
- Passing 5 minutes in the rally world is generous, but we might not all be lead foots like me, Will, Andy, Kats... oh, uh...? but anyway I would say pass other motorists carefully and only in passing zones, this is part of your time estimates, if there is a competitor gaining behind you and ready to pass, get over? Please do your best to stay out of each other’s way and stay safe. Remember just because a member passes you does not mean they are going to beat you!

In summery this could be a fun event, maybe when we can all get together for a potluck we can discuss and see who would be interested? This event can be altered to what you think would be fun, later we could add in things like special stages (i.e. taking a picture of yourself and a watch from the top of Tantalus. that if you estimated into your run properly would be accounted for and could give you a +/- 15 minute time correction bonus for completing.) road rallies have a lot of possibilities, and I think that it could be fun to do a little competition with this club! We have got a great bunch of members down here in Hawaii. But we need to introduce some bragging rights :laugh: Who is the best driver at 2AM, blearied eyed, and having to pee?
Who's cuisine will reign supreme? Iron kitchen? WTF?
Who's estimating and driving will reign supreme? Iron bladder, FTW!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What if someone speed...that case it's not going to be a game anymore. :unsure:[/b]
*ding ding ding*

You win a prize, but yeah, you caught me while editing there.

In hawaii, getting a ticket will result in 2 things: a fine and your insurance going up.
we dont have points like other states, so losing you licence is not a possiblity...
UNLESS YOU ARE DRIVING 30 OVER THE LIMIT!!!!
This is a new law this year, watch it!

·
Registered
922 Posts
wow good thing that law wasn't in effect about 6 months ago (95 in a 55...)

so basically we will take a pre-determined path around the island and estimate our time to completion...

i'm guessin the winner will be the person that comes closest to their time WITHOUT running faster, just like bracket racing at the drag strip?? the whole bracket thing will reduce the tendency to speed too i think because we won't want to "break out" by going too fast...

i think i'm on target here... i think it would be great times...

*EDIT* just read the scoring thing again you came up with... i'd keep it but incorporate the bracket rule so it will reduce speeding... because i'll be honest... if it's really late and the highway is open and we are all out for best time... i'm speeding.. just being honest...

plus bracketing will allow us to all try for a personal goal as well as an overall win... not just balls to the wall and hope my little 6i beats your 6s... you know?

just don't make it BETWEEN FEB 5 AND FEB 23, I'll be on the mainland....

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right well, I think that It might be better to allow people to come up with their estimate, and drive their estimate to the best of thier ability.

As far as a 'lowest time' maybe the time estimate that is closest to the 'course time' earns X points, being close to your time earns Y points X+Y= your score

so how about this, for every second over or under your time you get one point = X, for every second over or under the course time you get one point = Y. X+Y = Your Scrore. Less points the better. One we see how this works we can add in bonus ponts being like drive up to the top of tantalus, get -600 points, something like that.

Thoughts?

Think the first event should be as simple as possible, make if more fancy as we go on.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Sounds like a great event, but you know us old dudes are usually in bed at around 8:00 pm. :rolleyes:
The rules are pretty simple enough.....sounds like I'd be willing to enter too!
Just one thing, who's this supposed to be---------> :ninja: ?

:lol:

---Aloha

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like a great event, but you know us old dudes are usually in bed at around 8:00 pm. :rolleyes:
The rules are pretty simple enough.....sounds like I'd be willing to enter too!
Just one thing, who's this supposed to be---------> :ninja: ?
:lol:

---Aloha[/b]
But you're not old, younger than most at heart.
Tell your wife to come, it'll be a romantic drive... *cough* right...
"you're going to drive around the island in the middle of the night???" :lol:

Attention:
All smilies are fictional, any resimblance to a real person/peoples is a pure coincidence. :ninja:

I think maybe we will try to do one soon then, seems like people are interested, night of the 26th or 27th?
My buddy from CO comes inthe 16th of FEB and wants to do one with us, maybe in the legacy or maybe with me in the 6 but poor hawaiianeagle misses out too often! so maybe we will do one soon and one then?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sounds cool, hopefully it isn't really late in the night.

That point systems sounds good, what was fearing with your first one is that some people could've just slowed down or take it easy to their estimated time. But by having that course time and your estimated time giving you points sounds fun. Added to that a small scavenger's list would be also interesting. I could imagine how it balances it out. If you set your ETA higher than the course time, and if you meet the ETA time you have less points but you still have the course points adding on. And vice versa other wise. It makes sense, just gotta work the kinks out of it and should be fine.

Anywho, make the plans and see if I can make it. I've went driving at night with a friend to the north shore once, using the back roads and it's pretty clear and pretty fun. No cars miles away, but a bit scary due to the obake all around... >.>

·
Registered
922 Posts
26th or 27th is great...

so x points given for being +/- YOUR estimated time...

y points given for being +/- the COURSE time...

who determines the course time?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since I'm picking the route, i'll figure the time. Like i said before, since I'm picking the course, it will not be fair for me to compete seriously. i want to run and see how well i do next to my estimate but, bah. next time we do it, maybe we can trade off on route making.

·
Registered
922 Posts
good idea drew.. it would save having to drive it to determine a time...

my route... mokulea bach to Haleiwa to KAM to H3 back to mokulea via H1, H2, wahiawa, KAM... auriiite!! thats a good 2.5 hours.. haha

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was not planning on driving it to estimate. I'll pe picking the route and then getting an estimate from google earth on distance of the route i pick. at that point maybe i'll just pick a course speed like 40mph or break it down by section speed limit. I may just asume 60 for highways and 35-40 for all other roads. this would account for merging, stoplights etc. I have to let you know how i'll be estimating the course speed so that you will know ho to estimate your time.

I'll try to pay attention to speed limits when we run this so that i can get a solid estimate next time, to make it harder.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.