Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years of impact has pushed ring gear on my flywheel so far back that the starter pinion cannot engage it anymore. What is needed is the transmission needs to be dropped and the flywheel removed from the crankshaft so that the ring gear can be pressed back in pace than tack welded. Does anybody know of a shop near north Orange County that can do this?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I saw this post yesterday but I figured I'd let others chime in first to see their thoughts.

Personally I would replace the flywheel before I let someone do some welding on it. If they have no way to balance it afterwards, it could cause further issues. Now a good shop could do this for you but if already pulling it from the engine anyway, just replace it.

I will say that a good shop could lighten a flywheel for you as long as they keep it balanced and it's a nice little upgrade with a manual car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes sense. I was thinking of getting a Fidanza aluminum flywheel. I'm looking for a shop in North Orange County that can do the job, then I can order the flywheel myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally an easy fix on the 6! Went under the car, pulled off the inspection plate, and drove the ring gear in place with a long drift. Took less than an hour with a helper turning the engine by hand. This car is a keeper, as I love the slick shifting. Will still replace the flywheel with a Fidanza when clutch replacement time comes. In the meantime, I will just check that the flywheel is still seated properly every time I change the oil. Happy zooming, all 6ers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts