Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys need some advice please. Took the transmission down because of the grinding noise when I would start the car and sometimes it wouldn't even start. Looks like the ring gear was pushed back from its original place on the flywheel, is that correct? I also had the flywheel resurfaced when I had the clutch replace few years back and I thought they needed to add a spacer between the flywheel and the engine to make up for what was shaved, but am not sure about that. Also I'm planning on flipping the ring gear over, has anybody done this? Thanks fellas!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Guys need some advice please. Took the transmission down because of the grinding noise when I would start the car and sometimes it wouldn't even start. Looks like the ring gear was pushed back from its original place on the flywheel, is that correct? I also had the flywheel resurfaced when I had the clutch replace few years back and I thought they needed to add a spacer between the flywheel and the engine to make up for what was shaved, but am not sure about that. Also I'm planning on flipping the ring gear over, has anybody done this? Thanks fellas!!

That's exactly what happened. The Flywheel on the 6 is a two piece setup. and over time the picture you have above is something that can happen due to the heat cycling that goes on there along with the torque from the starter.

Now iirc when i had mine out, the teeth looked symetrical so you should be able to slide the ring off and flip it as you said and put it back on. Also what i would do, is apply four tiny bead/tack welds on the flywheel once you have it seated to keep the ring gear from sliding back off again. place the beads as close to the 12,3,6,9 locations and try to get them the same size and thickeness. otherwise it will throw the balance of the flywheel off a bit, but you should be fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent, Thanks guys. I did flip the ring gear and had someone do some tack welds on it as you Great NY recommended, I ordered a new starter also since the existing was full of dust and was pretty loud too, the teeths on it were a bit damage but not bad. I'll start assambling everything today. Where can I get the torque especs? It's an 05 V6. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys, I'm having a real hard time finding a clutch alignment tool. any suggestions? thanks!!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Most clutch kits come with them:

I always save them. If you don't have one you might be able to get one from CM or Spec or some other clutch vendor.

Good luck,
CR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts