Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Been going through the forums trying to find what kind of paint to use to repair some curb damage on my 17" rims. I can't seem to find a definitive answer on what kind of paint to use. There are several postings but no real answers.

I've already seen that Audiworld link about a hundred times but no one is for sure whether that Wurth paint will actually match Mazda rims. Seems no one has tried the technique yet, if they have I have not seen any feedback. Saw another posting for some supposed paint matches but when I went to the auto parts stores no one carried the Duplicolor number/description (didn't exist) or the Plasticote number/description that was provided.

Before anyone tells me to go buy new, lighter rims, that's not an option right now due to finances. Besides, I do like the way the stock rims look. I just have some damage that I want to fix with the spring coming up. If anyone has any constructive advice, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Yoshi

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Well, try the audiworld one and be the first to report back... :eek:

the other option is to have them re-powdercoated at about $40 per rim.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that was my default option.:sarc:

I was hoping that someone else had done it already before I go out and find and purchase the Wurth paint only to find out it doesn't match the Mazda wheel.

I thought I'd try posting just in case someone else had done this and not posted, why reinvent the wheel?

Thanks for your feedback...

Well, try the audiworld one and be the first to report back... :eek:

the other option is to have them re-powdercoated at about $40 per rim.
[/b]

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had a small spot of rash. I first sanded out the deep grooves with some very fine wet/dry sandpaper. Then I used Testor's aluminum (I think that was the color) model paint as a test. It matched ok, but it didn't really adhere too well after waxing the rim. But where mine is, right along the lip/edge, once it was sanded you couldn't really see the spot anymore.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been trying to find the answer to this rim paint question for months now myself. I scraped the right front passenger rim (OE) against a low curb buried under snow this past winter and now have some nasty scrapes right along the rim. Sad day. Since they look pretty bad the way they are, I think I'm finally just going to order some of the paint suggested in various posts here and give one or two a try - can't look much worse, I figure.

What's the best kind of wax to use once you apply the paint? Anything else that should go on - do I need to touch up the new paint with a little clear coat of some kind too? I don't know much about how these rims are finished - my first set of alloys ever!

I'll let you know how it turns out...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
Zgrl
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing