Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of rims for my 6 a friend of mine has liying around (snows on steels). The lugs partern is correct. The only issue is the center hub on the car is slightly smaller by an 1/8th of an inch. I'm thinking that the center hub carrys some of the load, but not really sure if my assumption is correct. My question is can I still use the rims?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Several companies make hub centric rings that will help in this area. You need to know the diameter of the rim you are placing on your car, measured in millimeters.

The Mazda6 hub is 67mm. You'll be looking for an adapter (hub centric ring) that will accomodate your new wheel.

I purchased mine online at discounttiredirect.com. They are made of aluminun and cost slightly more than other companies that make them out of plastic (or similiar).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Several companies make hub centric rings that will help in this area. You need to know the diameter of the rim you are placing on your car, measured in millimeters.

The Mazda6 hub is 67mm. You'll be looking for an adapter (hub centric ring) that will accomodate your new wheel.

I purchased mine online at discounttiredirect.com. They are made of aluminun and cost slightly more than other companies that make them out of plastic (or similiar).
[/b]

Thanks..

If they are plastic that means it doesn;t really carry any load?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Thanks..

If they are plastic that means it doesn;t really carry any load?
[/b]
Correct. The hubs don't usually protrude into the bore of the wheel more than a few millimeters so don't take any loading. Their sole purpose is to get the wheel properly centered on the hub, so that they run true when rotating. 5 lug wheels with conical seats (the majority of wheels out there, both OEM and aftermarket) actually self center the wheel when the lug nuts are tightened, so if they're carefully torqued in the proper star sequence the wheel should be automatically centered. Still it doesn't hurt to have the bore on the wheels match the hub, using the rings.

That's why the add-on rings are called "hub-centric rings". They make the wheel "centered" on the hub.

This of course, is different from true racing wheels, which do use only one large nut, so the bores on those wheels have to match the hub.

·
Registered
110 Posts

[/b]
Does the Mazdaspeed6 have the same hub diameter, 67mm?

Keith_MS6

1 - 6 of 6 Posts