Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen these other turbo car drivers rev the car b4 shutting it off....
is it necessary?

i know that we should let the turbo cool down b4 shutting it off....
that is y some may install a turbo timer, some will j/ sacrifice a minute
or two and sit in the car......

so my other question is, if indeed we should rev the car a bit b4 shut off,
wat about the guys w/ the turbo timer?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I mazda salesman told me that for the RX-8 you should rev up the engine then shut it off while in the upper RPM range.. like 4-5000rpm. I think this is only for the rotory engine though. All I do is let the car sit in the drive way for 1 min and I don't go into turbo range once I get by my house... like another 1-2min. I don't like turbo timers because you need to leave your car in neatral and I like to leave it in 1st. My house is on a little hill so I don't wanna take any chances with the car rolling away.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
they do that for rotories to burn off excess fuel so it doen't flood. Only when the engine is cold or less then 3miles of driving. Piston engine doesn't need it. Acutally you don't even need to run it 30secs unless you were constantly redlining it. Modern turbo cars use water cooled turbos and only reason to cool down oil turbos is so the excess oil doesn't coke in the line.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've seen these other turbo car drivers rev the car b4 shutting it off....
[/b]
The purpose of revving a turbo car before shutting it off is to destroy the bearing in the turbo. :) It works very well.

I don't know as much about rotaries, but I think the purpose in the RX-8 is to flood the combustion chambers with gas so it won't start the next time you try. Yay!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've seen these other turbo car drivers rev the car b4 shutting it off....[/b]
They probably just wanted it to sound cool.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You cut ignition while at 3-4000rpm, so there is time when the rotors are still spinning without fuel injected, thus spitting the fuel out. Its a thing owners do to cold engine to prevent flooding.

and no, you dont need to rev ur ms6 before you shut it down...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I like to hold my at the rev limiter for 2 to 3 minutes then shut it off, it's COOOL
:p
[/b]
+1

I race around the parking lot in 1st getting on and off the boost before I shut off the engine and roll into my parking spot!

·
Registered
313 Posts
+1

I race around the parking lot in 1st getting on and off the boost before I shut off the engine and roll into my parking spot!
[/b]
better post that vid or else your just a liar :nana:

·
Registered
59 Posts
You people don't know nothin'.

Go pop in The Road Warrior into your DVD player (a definitive car-guy movie) and watch the part where the entire gang revs their engines before shutting down all the vehicles on cue. Clearly then this is an important thing to do before turning off the car. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
hey what exactly are you getting done to the car? any problems?
p.s are there any common problems I should be looking for when first driving my ms6 that I'm picking up tomorrow. p.s.s im a previous 6i owner.?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
You people don't know nothin'.

Go pop in The Road Warrior into your DVD player (a definitive car-guy movie) and watch the part where the entire gang revs their engines before shutting down all the vehicles on cue. Clearly then this is an important thing to do before turning off the car. :)
[/b]
:laugh: arent they all bikes though :slap:

no its a bad idea made worse by ricers, i never did that with either of my rx7's and i never had any problems starting

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I don't see any purpose in it, just waste some little bit of gas, and thats all. I'll do it once in a blue moon, just to hear the BOV!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Usually I park the car, shut the motor off, then I go "OH S&^%", and turn it back on for about a minute. :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Usually I park the car, shut the motor off, then I go "OH S&^%", and turn it back on for about a minute. :)
[/b]
hahaha I thought I was the only one!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts