Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if its really worth spending the $$$.

It is the most expensive of the kits.. Im assuming its supposed to yield the most power and Im thinking this one doesnt produce any CEL issues?

I have an 06 I4.. it currently has the magnaflow catback and a K&N wi gutted air box mod. Will the CAI do much for SOTP gain? To spend that much, Id like to hammer it and notice for sure that its running better.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,328 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have had both injen and now cp-e and I am tired of beating this argument into the ground however, I enjoy the cp-e and that is all I am going to say. If you don't want CEL's and strech's tune get cp-e.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
cp-e gets the best gains for the 4banger, period. on my 04atx i had an AEM intake on there (which is now in my garage, lying around) and the differences with the second slowest mazda6 available were noticeable. i was able to chirp my tires quite frequently in first gear, which i didn't do prior to the intake.

the 6i community is practically dead though, so its hard to say if the Fujita or Mazdaspeed intakes are better than AEM/Injen. i mean, how many dynos do we have for the 6i, before and after?

that being said, cp-e will get you the most out of whats possible to currently get with an intake, but unless it was about $300, there's absolutely no way its worth the money.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I love mine adn am glad it was the first choice I made..... I can't really compare it to any others perosnally. but I am happy with my purchase.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i've used 5 intake setups, no CEL guarantee on cp-e is nice for most

·
Registered
281 Posts
Best thing in CP-E is possibility to tune it by yourself...

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
unless you are a wiz, that aspect of it really isn't that great. the throttle position adjustment seems to make the biggest "seat of your pants" difference to all the fuel adjustments we did. they send it out ready to go, and you really can't do much better than that tune (outside of throttle position). and though the system works, unless you are on a dyno, you can't "really" tell, and after working with a few Haltech/Greddy maps....the cp-e tuning solution is just damn confusing. i can barely get a dyno tech to work with the Haltech, i can't imagine asking them to tune with the cp-e.

i'd venture to say, there is no one here that has shown a dyno higher than cp-e's tune...so is that really the selling point?

·
Registered
922 Posts
IMO the price difference between the AEM (highest PEAK gain) and the CPE (highest overall average gain) is not worth it... business, you chirp tires easier with the CPE because the torque increase comes on ALOT earlier in the revs with the CPE unit, which is a plus for the torqueless 4cyl..

the CPE unit is nice, very nice... but for that money I would want to see head-and-shoulders gains above all the rest... not just an earlier torque band and a very small overall average gain that is greater than the other tube/filter CAI's...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
i'm not a huge believer in the cp-e kits. gains were had at the expense of my motor going bad.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
there has yet to be any issues with the V6 or i4 versions of their intakes that include the MAFci system.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
there has yet to be any issues with the V6 or i4 versions of their intakes that include the MAFci system.
[/b]
i had an issue, and another on the forum had the same issues, we both think the "motor dying" had something to do with the kit. reason? we both took care of our cars and had regular check-ups and oil changes. though the kit may not have been the direct root-cause, we certainly think it helped accelerate the problem.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
i'll take my Injen clone and a cpe tuneable MAF with dyno tune at my local shop and be 200 under the CP-e still. that IMO doesn't make it worth the $ but that's me.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
but the thread is not about the speed intake, it's about the MAFci setup for his 4cyl. isn't the speed intake just that, an intake?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
yeah it's about the CP-E tuner and it really depends on the work or lack there of you want to do. If you want a simple plug and play that'll give you a lot of gain the CP-E with the pre-mapped "black box" so to speak go for it. I'm still debating the tuneable cp-e device or if i should be patient and buy something else that'll do more tuning later on....*cough* turbo *cough* :D.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
but the thread is not about the speed intake, it's about the MAFci setup for his 4cyl. isn't the speed intake just that, an intake?
[/b]
i am talking about the cp-e kit that i had for my 6s, before i got into my speed6. anyhow..

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have had my CP-E Intake on my car for about a year now with no problems. Prior to that I had the Injen intake for a year as well. As far as performance goes I did notice a small difference between the two, but nothing huge. The difference was worth it for me since I bought both of my intakes used and saved a lot of money. I will say that I have been very satisified with my CP-E intake.

Aside from performance, the CP-E gives a deeper growl that sounds more like a stock v6 than an i4 with an intake.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I have had the CPE intake on both cars for 2 years, no issues whatsoever. I would be curious to see actual proof that CPE's intake caused or exacerbated the problems. With the majority of the 6S community using CPE's intake, I am sure there would be more that the two engine failures reported.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts