Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Rally Racer
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The hood damper (lift shock, hood strut) kit I am reviewing is supplied from ebay by Autobahn88.
The kit came supplied with two 13" gas struts (extended, center to center), two pieces of hood mounting hardware (left and right), two 10mm straight pin ball studs (that fit into existing fender bolt spot) and a total of four washers, (two large and two small), lubricant and cotton applicator, plus instructions.
The packaging was solid and secure.
Tools required for installation was either a 10mm deep socket (used) or 10mm combination wrench.
The right bracket marked "Hood R" mounts on the rearward (lower) passenger side hood bolt. The one marked "Hood R" on the driver side (left hand drive). There are bends in the hood mounting hardware that allow for clearance of the OEM hood hinge and also use it for lateral strength when compressing the shock while closing the hood.
Overall design is decent with weld quality as marginal (small tack welds). The pieces are all painted black which should help limit corrosion from the elements.
Installations was very easy as a 2/10 and took less than 15min.

The struts will lift the hood from about 2/3rds open unaided and feels strong enough to resist a brisk wind. Closing is easy and does not visibly warp or bend original hood hardware. A small amount of lateral flexion is visible at the hood mount point for the gas strut but the original hinge reinforcement keeps it in check.
When lowering the hood, the strut will give lifting resistance until about the last 12 inches then lets go completely allowing the hood to drop if not ready for it.
The full open position is about 2 inches higher (measured at the hood prop rod) rendering the support rod useless as a secondary point unless the struts fail.
The hood will remain open with only one strut installed but only just barely.

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'd love to have struts on my hood but I also want a 90° hood so I have to pick my battle lol.

One trick that I've learned over the years with gas hood struts and windy days is to have a pair of soft tip vise grips and clamp them on the shafts if one is worried about the hood coming down. Now I have seen this bend the struts if the wind is strong enough and the strut can't compress so using your best judgment on when to clamp vs let it ride is needed.

·
Rally Racer
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd love to have struts on my hood but I also want a 90° hood so I have to pick my battle lol.

One trick that I've learned over the years with gas hood struts and windy days is to have a pair of soft tip vise grips and clamp them on the shafts if one is worried about the hood coming down.
Good idea. The gas strut on the back of the 240Z has a little plastic bar that pops in place down the length of the fully expanded piston to prevent it from compressing until you pull it slightly away when its time to go down.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Good idea. The gas strut on the back of the 240Z has a little plastic bar that pops in place down the length of the fully expanded piston to prevent it from compressing until you pull it slightly away when its time to go down.
I wonder how hard it would be to incorporate something like that. That would be awesome and look much better than a pair of channel locks lol.

·
Rally Racer
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder how hard it would be to incorporate something like that. That would be awesome and look much better than a pair of channel locks lol.
Not hard at all. Using an old plastic ruler or piece of plastic flat stock. Cut the plastic to length and shape a semi-circle on the rod end to seat into the post and use a zip-tie or clamp to keep it in place and slightly flex it towards the cylinder. (see pic)

Technically you only need to do one side and it would be easier to clost that way as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts