Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

As I have mentioned in a previous thread, I have been in contact with a chinese representative for the Yatour company concerning an iPhone adaptor for my Mazda 6. After much thought and research, I ordered the unit, installed it and have been using it for the past few days.

The following is my review on this unit (including some pictures) for those who are interested in purchasing one.

First off, you can check their website for a bunch of info and pics on this unit: Yatour-Digital CD Changer,Digital Music Changer,iPod Adapter,Intelligent Parking Assist,AMI,KVW - Products - Car Kit for iPod Adapter Mazda

My contact's name is Nicolas and he can be reached at [email protected]

Some pics of the box I received via DHL:

Now onto a little explanation for those who do not understand how this unit works....

This unit connects to the back of the stock stereo into the CD Changer port. For those of you who have a CD Changer installed in your car, you must get a splitter in order to switch between the adaptor and your CD Changer. I am not too savy about that topic since I do not have a CD changer in my car, but if you have any questions, let me know and I'll do what I can to help.

Once connected, the stereo will be tricked into thinking that your iPod/iPhone is indeed a CD changer. Tracks within playlists can be changed via the steering wheel controls or the seek button on the stereo. Playlists can be changed via the disk up and down buttons on the stereo.

Now since the stereo thinks that the ipod/iPhone is a CD changer, it will believe that there will only be 6 CDs within the unit. The truth is that you can have as many playlists as you like within your iPod/iPhone. When you switch playlists, it will work without flaw until the 6th folder, after that, the display will show the unit switching back to the first "CD" and this will make the 5th folder play on your iPod/iPhone. From that point, the next playlist will play until you reach the 6th CD again (which is now the 10th folder) and repeat the the process I have described. I know it seems a bit confusing, but it's just a little issue I beleive that everyone should know about. If further explanations are needed, just ask me.

Once within a folder, you can browse through all the songs within that folder without a problem. If you have more than 99 songs within a folder, the same process would apply as I have described in the previous paragraph since the radio will reset back to track 1. Again, if further explanations are needed, just ask me.

Also, since the radio thinks it's a CD changer, the folders take time to get loaded into before being able to change tracks. This is normal as the unit would normally take a few seconds to change CD's, however, in my mind, this is a very small blemish. You change folders by pressing the next disc button, wait about a second or two and then you can change tracks (this does not delay the song however as the song will start playing immediately, it's just that you must wait a second or two to change tracks).

Now the hard part.... To install this unit, you must take apart most of the dash in order to get to the back of the stock radio. I have attached some good instructions on how to remove the center console (credit goes to whoever wrote it!):
Installation

**IMPORTANT NOTE: IF YOUR MAZDA 6 WAS MANUFACTURED BETWEEN NOVEMBER 2003 AND SEPTEMBER 2005, YOU WILL MOST PROBABLY NEED SOME MODIFICATIONS VIA SOLDERING WITHIN YOUR STEREO IN ORDER FOR THIS UNIT TO WORK. CONTACT ME AND I WILL SEND YOU THE PDF EXPLAINING WHAT MUST BE DONE**

I was part of the unlucky few who had to solder my unit however it was fairly simple. The tough part was getting the unit open since there are so many screws holding the damn thing together.

I put everything back together and ran the unit through my glove compartment and attached it to the side of my gearbox as shown:

I will soon put an iPhone holder within the area where the minidisk/Cassette player should be as my car did not have one.

On to a few notes of the unit:

- Sound Quality is actually much better than I had anticipated
- Charges my iPhone 3gs without any problems
- Aux-in works just as well as the iPhone connection
- In my mind, probably works just as well as other units on the market which are priced much higher than this one
- What more can I say? It does what it's supposed to do!

It cost me $ 75.00 US which included DHL Express Shipping from China to Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The unit only takes a few days to arrive to Canada however my package was stuck at customs for quite a while. The sender put the value at $ 6.00 in order to save me customs charges however, in the end, I got screwed and had to pay 20$ for customs. Make sure that if you order one, they put a value of at least $ 40.00 on the package so that it can get through customs without any flaws. Even with all those issues and many conversations with customs officials, I received the unit 9 business days after ordering it. Payment was done through paypal to their account (which I was first reluctant on doing however took the chance and everything ended well)

Do I recommend this unit? Hell yeah, if your looking for a good alternative to get good quality music out of your stock stereo at a good price.

If anyone has any questions, just give me a shout! Peace!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey! Do you think you would be able to post pictures or the pdf of how you soldered whatever you soldered?
Just got my unit this morning, and it didn't work with my car, so I'm pretty sure that I'm part of the unlucky few. :p

Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1 Posts
yatour kits

i'm purchasing one kit from the china site. did they ask you for your phone number? i already pay via paypal and now they want phone #. kinda strange. thanks

A

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey there,

I have uploaded the PDF for the internal modification for the 04 units on megaupload.

Here is the link:
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

If you have any other problems or questions, just email me at [email protected]
since I check those e-mails on a regular.

Out of curiosity, did you make the purchase through Nicolas, or another rep?
Hi does anyone have that pdf with instructions? as the link doesn't work and I need to modify my head unit in order to make use out of my yatour :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts