Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the car last Monday and have still not gotten completely used to the clutch (only driven MT trucks before). I am still stalling it every now and then. I have probably stalled the MS6 more in the first 5 days than I did over 3 years in my 1990 B2200. All of the threads about trans\clutch problems have made me gun shy about slipping the clutch too much and so the hills traffic in Atlanta have kinda been kickin my ass. Anyway, I assume I will get the stopped to 1st transition figured out eventually. My question is about reverse. When I engage reverse completely and give it a little gas the car shutters and feels like it’s about to stall (maybe gets jerky is a better description). I don't have many opportunities to get on it real hard in reverse, so I don't know if it smoothes out at higher RPMs (damn parking garages with their massive concrete beams and F250s). However, if I let the clutch out about halfway the car is perfectly smooth in reverse at very low speeds. I'd rather not do that though in order to preserve the clutch. I'd appreciate hearing if anybody else has experienced something similar or if its just that I suck at life.

·
Registered
200 Posts
To me the backing up in this car in straight line feels just fine. Backing up the hill with your wheels turned and couple friends on board is a completely different story. Weird sound usually comes from the wheel area and the ride is far from smooth. But hey that may be just me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To me the backing up in this car in straight line feels just fine. Backing up the hill with your wheels turned and couple friends on board is a completely different story. Weird sound usually comes from the wheel area and the ride is far from smooth. But hey that may be just me.
[/b]
Yeah it may be the hills. I will experiment with it today. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
To me, to reverse the Speed6 smoothly we have to ride the clutch a little more than with other car due to its on off nature. But I think it won't hurt it as bad as we would have thought due to the duration of reverse ofcourse unless you are talking reversing your car for great length in any one time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
To me, to reverse the Speed6 smoothly we have to ride the clutch a little more than with other car due to its on off nature.
[/b]
I agree. When you're riding the clutch while reversing, it runs pretty smooth. Back then I would feather off a bit, but when I would let go of the gas and let the car roll a bit, you can really feel the engine sort of jitter, as if it assumed it would constantly be feed gas.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've found reverse to be difficult in certain situations - almost as if it's geared too high. A few weeks ago I needed to back up an extremely steep, narrow curvy driveway and there just wasn't any way to get the car to do it smoothly.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ok so anyone know what the clunking is when reversing at an angle? Is it bad feels like the car jumps over...[/b]
I've kind of felt that myself. If I'm turning and in reverse, engage clutch, feel a bit of a clunk from the rear end. Nothing major, and I notice no looseness any other time.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I've kind of felt that myself. If I'm turning and in reverse, engage clutch, feel a bit of a clunk from the rear end. Nothing major, and I notice no looseness any other time.[/b]

Yeah it does it mainly when going uphill while backing at a turn into a space. sometimes not as bad when its a flat surface i just thought it was weird.

Did some searching apparently its our LSD Diff.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...&hl=reverse

·
Registered
862 Posts
When I'm backing up there is a clunk sound coming from around the engine area and it's only when I push the clutch in after backing up.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Yeah reverse is a pain .....especially on a hill, you will be riding the clutch

·
Registered
826 Posts
When I'm backing up there is a clunk sound coming from around the engine area and it's only when I push the clutch in after backing up.[/b]
Same problem. I feed it a little gas, and when I've got down the hill of my driveway I kick the clutch back in and clunks a little. Annoying if you ask because it can be embarrassing with someone else riding w/ you.

·
Registered
493 Posts
When I'm backing up there is a clunk sound coming from around the engine area and it's only when I push the clutch in after backing up.[/b]
What kills me is it happens sometimes in my garage which is complately flat. Quick engagement, surge and a buck when I push the clutch back down. Not reproducible or predictable though. I'm hoping the clutch replacement will get rid of this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts