Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Mazdaspeed6
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s good everyone..!? Well... everyone that still comes to this forum... Very unfortunate how activity fell off the face of the earth but I guess back when the forum was in it’s prime there were a lot less avenues to build an online community for the platform...

ANYWAY!
Last June I was finally able to get back into a Speed 6 and promised a build thread at the time... Well it’s been almost a year so I figured I should probably get to it!

I will give an overview of the car as purchased and as it sits now in my next post, and continue forward with responding to whatever (of any) replies within the thread and also add info whenever I do something new with the car or take it to an event/photoshoot etc.

So, without further a-do here is the car as it was when purchased vs today...well recently, today it’s filthy because I’ve just been working on it on and off for the last three weeks. ENJOY!

then:

Didn’t take many pictures, had some stickers I needed to remove and a lot of cleanup to do... Looking back the car was a bit of a mess, it was a slightly bigger project than I had anticipated originally buuuut..

Now:

Still a long way to go, and honestly that shot was about two months ago and I’ve done a lot since then (nothing much on the exterior though) .

Im going to just reserve the next space for editing later for now but yeah, promised a build thread so here we go!!!

·
Registered
2006 Mazdaspeed6
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
SO as mentioned before I was a member on here way back, I owned a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 back around 2010-2014ish and was an active member of the forum back when things were quite a bit busier around here. Feels like a lifetime ago, and I guess it really was. It's was a long and sometimes quite painful almost seven years since my last Speed was lost to me when it took on water and hydro-locked. After a lot of trials, moving, growing up, and of course hard work, I was eventually in a position to get back into the platform that I had been missing since losing the car that I had felt so connected with years prior.

I had some money put aside, and the next big purchases our family needed to make was a couple decent and reliable cars we could trust, that would help make our day-to-day lives more efficient and economical. So I did what any intelligent person would have done in that situation, bought a Mazdaspeed 6 with a bunch of "little issues" but a solid, built engine...

...And financed a CX-9 for my wife.

As mentioned, the Mazdaspeed 6 I purchased had a built engine, and of course there is no point doing that (really..) unless you have it paired to a bunch of fun stuff that can test the limits of said build... SO it also had a bundle of bolt-ons (which at this point all needed to come off, be inspected and if possible - reinstalled...) OH! and a nice big ol' GT3076 spooly-thingy.

JACKPOT!
Or so I thought, turns out that the guy I bought the car from knew NOTHING about the platform and had simply traded one of his lifted trucks he offroaded for it "but don't worry I had my mechanic check everything out, he's the guy that I take ALL my offroad trucks to".

...Real quick a warning, if you EVER buy an AWD sedan from someone that goes off-roading routinely, keep in mind they most likely read "AWD" as "designed to do just as much off-roading as your lifted 94 Chevy with stacks, please jump this car over mountains of dirt"

After really digging into the car more than a few times now it has become more and more apparent that whoever originally got the engine built was probably someone who owned the car several owners back, and the poor thing had been through it since.

Anyway, less story... on with the things we really care about here!

After just less than a year of ownership here is where we stand:

The Engine:
Keyed crank, stock bore
APR bolts
Wiseco Pistons
Manley Connecting Rods
Supertech 55lb Valve Springs

Turbo:
GT3076 Externally Wastegated w/ Tial MV-S

Power:
JBR intake and MAF housing (3.5”)
Ported intake manifold w/ VCTS Delete
Mishimoto Series S FMIC w/ CX-Racing Pipes
Bosch MAP
HKS SSQ3 BOV
EGR Delete BlockD by CPE
Cobb EBCS
Autotech HPFP internals
XSPower Turbo Manifold
3 inch Catless DP to Straight-pipe (urgh...I need a muffler!)
Mishimoto OCC

Drivetrain:
Custom Gold AWR Rear Motor Mount
Custom Gold AWR Passenger-Side Mount
Custom Gold AWR Trans Mount
(I know....I need a diff mount)

Suspension/wheels:
ISC Fully Adjustable Coilovers
Aodhan LS007/AFF7 18x8.5 in Gold wrapped in 225/40

Tuning:
Accessport v3
Protuned by Dramatune

Random Stuff/Exterior/DIY:
Tinted headlights and fog lights
Smoked side markers
Custom front lip
Push-Button Bumper Clips
Extra DRL LEDs
Diffused LED strip to illuminate FMIC (activates with fog lights)

Everything short of the engine build, the manifolds, and turbo setup I have installed myself so any questions or opinions wanted on the parts feel free to reach out! I want to add value to the community, so if I can help in anyway please let me know.

Sounded like a lot when I wrote it all out, but plenty of things still planned!!

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,605 Posts
Welcome back!

And the MS6 looks great!

Reactions: RevMedia

·
Registered
2016 6
455 Posts
Sweet ride! Don’t see too many speed6s around but it’s always nice to see someone enjoying a mazda. I’ve always loved the way the speed 6 likes and I kinda wish I could find a decent one to build but finding a rust free one in the NE is almost impossible. I’ll happily follow along as it’s always great to learn from someone who’s done it before.

·
Registered
2006 Mazdaspeed6
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet ride! Don’t see too many speed6s around but it’s always nice to see someone enjoying a mazda. I’ve always loved the way the speed 6 likes and I kinda wish I could find a decent one to build but finding a rust free one in the NE is almost impossible. I’ll happily follow along as it’s always great to learn from someone who’s done it before.

Hey thank you! I'll post up some more pictures today, and I'll be posting bits and pieces of things I've added recently or as I add new things!

·
Registered
2006 Mazdaspeed6
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm curious as a cat! Why is it that you can't access your previous username?

Anyways, welcome back.

Made this newer account a few years ago when I was posting YouTube content as REVMedia and was working on starting an RX8 build with goals of eventually getting a Speed6 again. Don’t remember entirely why I opted for a new account at the time but can’t for the life of me remember the password for my older account & haven’t had access to the email address associated to it since maybe 2014. Plus like I said previously, lifetime ago... And there’s some very personal things I associate with my last speed6/that time of my life. All in all a new account didn’t bother me much - course I would love to have been able to retained my old “joined date” but it’s not terribly important, I’m just here for the cars/car talk anyway.

old “build page” is here: TimEngland's 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

Anyways, keeping things moving along...

should be able to finish up some goofy work on the car today (which should get some strong opinions and mixed feelings haha) and wash it, so I can take some newer pictures for the thread before posting about a bunch of the more recent things I’ve been doing with the car. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2006 Mazdaspeed6
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Did you bolt your splitter supports to to the plastic bumper cover?
Into the fog light shrouds - cheaper part to replace if it all goes wrong than the entire bumper, haha. It works well enough for the extra support that is needed to hold up the center, but probably wouldn’t work well for a functional splitter. Where this is more of a lip, and it’s secured by about 6-8 other bolts along the bottom of the bumper, it’s been fine. Once I get a bit of time to actually enjoy the car and do a few more recent photoshoots (been about two months since I’ve driven and photographed it) I’ll be getting to work on a functional, chassis mounted front splitter, at which point rods will be connecting to a reinforced brace on the inside of where they connect now to be able to withstand extra force.

·
Registered
2006 Mazdaspeed6
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also... (I’m ready for the haters, but this was just for fun)... I did this over the weekend:

I couldn’t resist... it’s fun and will be useful for photoshoots/video and entertaining at events. Plus to me it’s paying homage to the late 90’s - early 2000’s right around when I started driving and cars became life haha. It’s not for everyone, shoot it’s probably not even for me, but I wanted to install it if anything for the experience ...plus my kids think it’s fun when they flash with the music.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Also... (I’m ready for the haters, but this was just for fun)... I did this over the weekend:

View attachment 242653

I couldn’t resist... it’s fun and will be useful for photoshoots/video and entertaining at events. Plus to me it’s paying homage to the late 90’s - early 2000’s right around when I started driving and cars became life haha. It’s not for everyone, shoot it’s probably not even for me, but I wanted to install it if anything for the experience ...plus my kids think it’s fun when they flash with the music.
This reminds of the game I played, Need For Speed!

·
Registered
2016 6
455 Posts
Nah the neon is sweet, definitely brings back the early tuner feel. honestly wanna do it to my 6 as well, can you post a link to the kit you used?

·
Registered
2006 Mazdaspeed6
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nah the neon is sweet, definitely brings back the early tuner feel. honestly wanna do it to my 6 as well, can you post a link to the kit you used?
Thanks!! I appreciate the positive feedback, definitely was going for that throwback styling, plus they offer a lot more now at a much better price than back then - not to mention a heck of a lot more durable!

Absolutely! The link is in my Mazdaspeed Styling Store on my Amazon Influencers site in my sig, and here is a direct link

I’ll have a video up and a full review in the next couple of days, but can already say I absolutely recommend the kit. The selling point to me was that Govee offer a ton of lighting solutions ranging not just for underglow and car interior but also interior and exterior home lighting which can ALL be controlled/customized through the same app.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Thanks!! I appreciate the positive feedback, definitely was going for that throwback styling, plus they offer a lot more now at a much better price than back then - not to mention a heck of a lot more durable!

Absolutely! The link is in my Mazdaspeed Styling Store on my Amazon Influencers site in my sig, and here is a direct link

I’ll have a video up and a full review in the next couple of days, but can already say I absolutely recommend the kit. The selling point to me was that Govee offer a ton of lighting solutions ranging not just for underglow and car interior but also interior and exterior home lighting which can ALL be controlled/customized through the same app.
Normally i advise against a kit, cause you can usually get the components and controller yourself for MUCH less than a normal kit. But that one seems reasonably priced though. My only suggestion would be to use some clear tubing to help mount it as the tape that comes with them is always fake 3M stuff that wont stick a flies wings together.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts