Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone know if it is feasible to retro-fit a gen three steering wheel, airbag and airbag squib onto the Gen 2? On paper it looks as if it will fit

Do you know if I would also need the wiring loom for the stereo controls to be swapped over too?

I'll be changing the BOSE head unit over to a Pioneer F70dab so I can't image that being a deal breaker.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I wouldnt think that anyone has done this, but I owned a 2010 Mazda3 and a 2014 Mazda6, and the steering wheel controls seemed similar. They might wire up minus the buttons on the right side to control the infotainment and the trip computer functions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm guessing it won't... without a lot of effort.

First, I am NO EXPERT on this. However, I did retrofit a 2010 Grand Touring steering wheel to my 2009 I Sport SV.

Your question made me wonder if the 2 different generations would have the same "Clockspring" (where the electronics for the steering wheel meet/connect on the column) so I pulled up an Ebay listing for a Gen 3 steering wheel just for kicks & giggles.

The connector for our Gen 2 cars has one row of pins going to the Clockspring, the Gen 3 wheel has 2 rows of pins. So it looks like it will not connect without changing the Clockspring. (and I wouldn't even begin to know how that might work out, let alone if they are even compatible)

Next notice that the Gen 3 wheel connects to the steering column shaft completely different... with a nut shaped connection. Our Gen 2 cars have a round connection with splines that need to line up. So again, not looking good.

Something else that might not be a big deal, is that the connection point on the Gen 3 wheel appears to be extended/longer. Which might leave extra space between where the wheel connects to the column.

Again, I can't say for sure that swapping a Gen 2 steering wheel with a Gen 3 won't work... (and I fully approve of the idea) but as I have swapped a Gen 2 base steering wheel with one from a Grand Touring model your question did get me thinking about it.

From a simple visual inspection it doesn't look possible, but a steering wheel swap between another Gen 2 model will work... and I was surprised how easy it was. Hope my experience with this is helpful. Cheers!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oops... there were supposed to be pics!

Sorry... I was trying to attach pics for reference. Guessing its my slow interwebs and/or my lack of patience waiting to upload.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts