Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 Mazda 6 Black Cherry/Black, K&N CAI, 20" wheels with 245/35R20 SR'W'
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my poor car is in need of a paint job but it's color is rare from what I can tell. It is the Black/Cherry color that wasn't available for very long and last i priced it was about $400+ per 1 US gallon of paint. OUCH! So, I need some advise. Should I keep it the same color and just touch up the areas or throw caution to the wind and have the whole thing repainted? The bumper is full of chips and the hood looks like the clear coat is cracking like micro fissures. So I don't know. I love this car and never want to part with it BUT I also want it to look amazing too.

·
Administrator
18,855 Posts
Sorry to hear about the issues.

Depends on your wallet and your end-goal I suppose.

Places like Automotive Touchup can get you some nice scratch/nick fillers but it'll never handle everything and it'll never look perfect. I hear great things about Dr. Color Chip as well but, again, that won't handle things larger than small chips.

You can pay a professional place to do it for you or have a dealer do it with the official Mazda color, but now you're talking lots of money.

Also possible (but rare) to find salvaged parts from other 6s that would fit your car and be in better condition.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Byakuya I've thought of those suggestions and you are 100% correct. The price will be very high. I'm thinking of downgrading the upgrades I have put into this car and finding a good condition V6 GH that has a "standard" paint color on it like black or blue. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
199 Posts
OP, is just the clear coat cracking? Is it alligator cracking or spider-web? Maybe the clear can be sanded almost off and new clear can be applied. As for chips, are they small like sand or larger like chocolate chips? you may be surprised how well a delicate and steady hand can mask some of these. I just did my V70 and he touch up from Volvo includes their clear coat, and their process is to apply the touchup, rub a damp sponge over it after 10 minutes, wait another 10 then apply the clear coat. Wait a day to polish. Vertical surfaces like the bumper will not stand out like large horizontal surfaces like hoods.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OP, is just the clear coat cracking? Is it alligator cracking or spider-web? Maybe the clear can be sanded almost off and new clear can be applied. As for chips, are they small like sand or larger like chocolate chips? you may be surprised how well a delicate and steady hand can mask some of these. I just did my V70 and he touch up from Volvo includes their clear coat, and their process is to apply the touchup, rub a damp sponge over it after 10 minutes, wait another 10 then apply the clear coat. Wait a day to polish. Vertical surfaces like the bumper will not stand out like large horizontal surfaces like hoods.
I'll send pictures later today. The chips are small but there are a lot of them. You can see the bumper plastic through them. We had the bpers.respraid a few years ago but I don't think they clear coated them. Either way it was a piss poor job. As for the cracking in the hood, I think you are right about the clear coat. At first I though they were fibers that had been embedded into the wax but after claybaring and refinishing they were still there. One car care site mentioned that it may be the wax itself embedded in the cracks. IDK The car looks amazing at a short distance but as you get closer you can see the imperfections. There's also some rusting happening on the roof I have to fix and clear coat that has pealed off.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I was pricing painting my 07 I think the gallon at Color Rite was around $200 a gallon. I have the black cherry also. Worth checking IMO.
I shall. I found one place that was selling a gallon for $400+. Can't remember who that was but I'll check out Color Rite.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gag, get a 3rd Gen 3 then, or 6. But stay away from the V6.
I'm actually looking into the 2023 M3 AWD Turbo. Why, oh why don't they offer the top of the line in the Mica Blue though? Rhetorical question but still. Every color BUT the blue. SMH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts