Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
212 Posts

The Mazda6 is a perennial favorite in the midsize sedan segment thanks to its driver-focused dynamics. But to continue improving the breed, this car has been thoroughly reworked for 2018.

The attractive family sedan just debuted at the 2017 Los Angeles Auto Show. Engineers improved this four-door’s performance, refinement, and efficiency, while designers burnished its exterior styling and made it even more premium inside.

Mazda is aiming for a higher class of vehicle than normal with this car, not your typical Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. Upping the premiumness (our word, not theirs) factor, this family sedan is now available in a new Signature trim, which features things like Nappa leather, wood trim, and UltraSuede NU accents.

Read more about the Restyled 2018 Mazda6 Gains Luxury, Turbo Torque at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
No manual transmission and the turbo will only be offered in the new Signature trim, which is above GT spec. So expect to pay Maxima prices for the turbo.

·
Administrator
8,400 Posts
Last I heard the turbo-4 will be available in GT and Signature trim. I also thought I saw someone here mention it being available on Touring as well...

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Last I heard the turbo-4 will be available in GT and Signature trim. I also thought I saw someone here mention it being available on Touring as well...
Yes, got confirmation from my dealer that turbo is standard on Sig and GT, but option on Touring.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
2.5T option

No manual transmission and the turbo will only be offered in the new Signature trim, which is above GT spec. So expect to pay Maxima prices for the turbo.
This is wrong. Sport and Touring will be standard 2.5, Touring can upgrade to 2.5T. GT and Signature will be standard 2.5T I'm guessing pricing on fully loaded will be under 37k

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bummer, no manual for the turbo. I would take MT over nappa leather and wood accents any day. But the new design is classy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bummer, no manual for the turbo. I would take MT over nappa leather and wood accents any day. But the new design is classy.
Yes this is a deal breaker for me getting a turbo anytime soon. The day they put a 6-speed manual with a turbo will be the day I trade in my 2016 6mt.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Turbos and manuals are not a natural combination. Shifting interrupts boost, and turbo torque is made at relatively low RPM. Automatics do a better job of managing the turbo. Mazda explains this at 1:30 here:

Subaru, for instance, dropped the manual from the Forester XT in 2009, keeping it only for the WRX.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I agree. Manuals probably are best with higher displacement engines where the bottom end torque is naturally evident, that is to say if you really want fun. A V8, of reasonable displacement ?. Of course fuel economy and packaging concerns abound in this case... Manuals are also fine with small displacement engines too.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I should clarify that in the higher gears like maybe second but for sure third and above... this loss of boost over the course of the gear changing delay has not nearly so marked an effect... as you obviously stay in the higher gears for longer as you accelerate. So turbos can indeed be fun in a manual, though more so in the upper speed ranges.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Turbos and manuals are not a natural combination. Shifting interrupts boost, and turbo torque is made at relatively low RPM. Automatics do a better job of managing the turbo. Mazda explains this at 1:30 here:

Subaru, for instance, dropped the manual from the Forester XT in 2009, keeping it only for the WRX.
Not natural for who? I could, and would, manage a turbo just fine with a manual.

·
Registered
53 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO-omryaZSU&feature=youtu.be

Is Mazda afraid that people might be over-revving with the MT? The turbo won't provide power up until the redline, on either of the transmissions, a shifting has to occur. I would just like to make that choice myself.

Probably the interest for MT is not as big anymore, or Mazda is prepping for the SPEED3 or SPEED6 and doesn't want to cannibalize sales?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Not natural for who? I could, and would, manage a turbo just fine with a manual.

Me too. Two of my favorite past cars were my manual transmission Toyota Supra Turbo and Porsche 911. Turbocharged sports cars with manual transmissions have been around for a long time, and they're a hoot to drive.

The rationale that Mazda previously provided (which actually makes more sense to me) is that this particular turbo is not suited for the way a manual transmission would perform in a front wheel drive car. Mazda designed the turbo in the CX-9 to provide the boost at low RPMs. The first problem with pairing it with a manual is that it would run out of oomph at higher RPMs. Additionally, with the automatic transmission, Mazda can better control shift logic and throttle behavior to provide more progressive power delivery and tame the wicked torque steer that would otherwise be present in a front wheel drive configuration. Pairing a manual to the turbo engine and letting drivers control the throttle and shifting would result in a terrible driving experience with this turbo, in this fwd car.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Me too. Two of my favorite past cars were my manual transmission Toyota Supra Turbo and Porsche 911. Turbocharged sports cars with manual transmissions have been around for a long time, and they're a hoot to drive.

The rationale that Mazda previously provided (which actually makes more sense to me) is that this particular turbo is not suited for the way a manual transmission would perform in a front wheel drive car. Mazda designed the turbo in the CX-9 to provide the boost at low RPMs. The first problem with pairing it with a manual is that it would run out of oomph at higher RPMs. Additionally, with the automatic transmission, Mazda can better control shift logic and throttle behavior to provide more progressive power delivery and tame the wicked torque steer that would otherwise be present in a front wheel drive configuration. Pairing a manual to the turbo engine and letting drivers control the throttle and shifting would result in a terrible driving experience with this turbo, in this fwd car.
Yes, this is one of the reasons I want to test drive first. I did test drive a cx9 and was pretty impressed with the engine performance. It pulled really well with excellent pssing power even on hills. It also revved enough to be engaging. The rev limit is only 500 rpm lower than the NA and max hp comes in at about 5K, which I think is also 500rpm lower than the NA. Anyway you slice it the turbo will be more than enough power for this car. I continue to enjoy my NA '16. Honestly what seemed like a lack of power at first was mostly me gettong used to use the power, i.e. fully manual mode with paddles.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts