Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm fixing up a 2003 Mazda6 3.0 I was given that had sat for a few years. The body is in good condition other than a mailbox crunch on both headlights crunching the hood corners. The engine runs well and has 167,000 miles.
Current plans are to finish replacing the headlight lenses, complete the clear-coat over my hood repair, and find the engine oil leak sources and stop them. I already replaced the broken windshield and cracked tires.

Questions:
What are common oil leak points on a 6? Currently loosing a tsp.every 24 hours and the entire engine and all hoses attached are covered. Any suggestions would be appreciated befor I start tracing it back.
How do I stop the flashing security light on the dash? I have both the black and grey original key. The fob on the grey key is aftermarket and the battery is dead on the original.

Thanks.

·
Rally Racer
2,542 Posts
Hi all,

I'm fixing up a 2003 Mazda6 3.0 I was given that had sat for a few years. The body is in good condition other than a mailbox crunch on both headlights crunching the hood corners. The engine runs well and has 167,000 miles.
Current plans are to finish replacing the headlight lenses, complete the clear-coat over my hood repair, and find the engine oil leak sources and stop them. I already replaced the broken windshield and cracked tires.

Questions:
What are common oil leak points on a 6? Currently loosing a tsp.every 24 hours and the entire engine and all hoses attached are covered. Any suggestions would be appreciated befor I start tracing it back.
How do I stop the flashing security light on the dash? I have both the black and grey original key. The fob on the grey key is aftermarket and the battery is dead on the original.

Thanks.
The common leak points are the timing cover (close to the CKP) and the rocker covers. The timing leak drips on the catalytic converter and stinks everything up (close to HVAC fresh air draw)
Replacing the timing cover is a huge job. Mazda suggests removing the engine for that service. It can be done in vehicle however (10-12hrs) but it will leak again in a year or two... 🤷‍♂️

Mazda 6 v6 CKP sensor.jpg

Here is another user fix for the problem.

The rocker covers are fairly straight forward. The only sticking point is the OCV seals are not offered apart from the covers themselves. I have sourced a seal for this and can give you a part number if that is your issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the info. Time is not an issue right now and I wouldn't mind pulling the engine as all rubber hosing need replacement or repair. The timing leak makes sence in view of the burning oil smell the car has when driving.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am pulling the engine. I plan on replacing all rubber hosing, also the valve, timing and spark plug seals. I will be replacing the ocv seals. Any other replacement suggestions? I hope to only do this once.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At 167000 miles, should I replace the water-pump? I know it can be done in the car but figured if it needed replacement everything would be easier outside.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
For anyone needing info on rebuilding the headlights, I rebuilt these with new lenses for $12.00 plus a tube of silicone each. The hardest part was slowly breaking the glue joint because I'm not allowed to use the family oven or freezer for car parts other than bearings. I have details and pics of the process if anyone is interested.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts