Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm kinda new here, though have had an acct for awhile and lurk whenever I had questions. I've owned a 2005 6 hatch for 8 year now and LOOOOVE it. Best car I've ever owned. I'm 29 and it's my third car--I sold it to myself when I was 21 and sold Mazda's and VWs.

Friday morning, I just hit 133K and was on my way to work, when the sun glare got intense and blinded me. I ran into the back of a commuter bus at 35 mph, airbag released, and I sustained a concussion, internal bruising and bruised knees. Other than that I walked away and the 10 people on the bus were ok. They drove away and I got a 'reckless driving' ticket. Tho the cop said I can ask the judge to lower that to improper driving.

I was wearing my seat belt, and I was 'not' on the cell phone. Promise.

I guess it's just one of those unfortunate things to happen. Would you guys look at that picture and let me know if it could be fixed? I'm expecting them to total it.

I can't buy a new 6 b/c i don't like the styling, and it's so hard to find hatchbacks. I'm thinking about a newer 3 or a ford fusion with the 3.0 V6....

Attachments

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Glad everyone is ok & walked away. Sounds like the car protected you well.

My first guess by looking at it would be to say its a goner. Ultimately its up to the insurance company though. You could always buy it from them & fix it. It shouldnt be too hard to find one smashed up in the rear & steal the front clip off it.

Keep us posted on the details.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Ouch. From the one picture it looks like there may be some engine and other top component damage. Used to be, usually insurance will total if airbags deploy.. but I'm not sure anymore. If you want to repair, I'd say you'd definitely want to find a donor car with the same engine type to pick from.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Glad everyone is ok & walked away. Sounds like the car protected you well.

My first guess by looking at it would be to say its a goner. Ultimately its up to the insurance company though. You could always buy it from them & fix it. It shouldnt be too hard to find one smashed up in the rear & steal the front clip off it.

Keep us posted on the details.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

^^^ this. Glad you're ok! I'd totally give you my old one if I still had it (my rear end was destroyed, but front was fine.) The hatches are hard to find, but they're out there. I actually know of a couple in my area (which might be super far from you, I'm not sure). They'd all be fully loaded, red MTX hatches with the V6.

Its super worth it to try to find a new one. It only took me a couple weeks, but I also was willing to settle on my interior and the engine I had (but I wasn't on other things, like the tranny, body style, and color). It kinda depends on how picky you are. They're out there, I promise!

Sent from my VS920 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Ouch. From the one picture it looks like there may be some engine and other top component damage. Used to be, usually insurance will total if airbags deploy.. but I'm not sure anymore. If you want to repair, I'd say you'd definitely want to find a donor car with the same engine type to pick from.
Its not always totaled when airbags go. (But I think it usually is the case) My Neon had them go off and it was still good to fix. Just thought I'd let you know @mmceorange

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah I gotta join in and say that they are going to tell you it's totalled. Stupid insurance people....

Sorry to hear about it.

Sent from my HTC One V using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
62 Posts
Damn that sucks man. My car was in a front end collision before I purchased it. It was fixed, but that was a few years ago. Value of used cars has definitely gone down since then.

I would rock a fusion too, too bad they don't come in manual (correct me if I am wrong).

·
Registered
730 Posts
My grandma had a similar accident in hers. It saved her life. Sorry about the car glad you're ok.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys and gals.

and you're right, people are always more important than cars. this Mazda 6 was AWESOME and i know why it did so well in the IIHS crash tests.

fusions do come in manual, but the dealer didn't have any. the local Mazda dealers around my area of VA are all pretty shady.

Today, I bought a 2012 fusion SEL, loaded. The only thing it doesn't do is make coffee :p I wish it were a manual, but it does have the shifting option. in the future, if styling improves on the 6, i would be the first in line.

WHAT HAPPENED to the hatchbacks?? Mazda needs to bring those back:)

thanks again all for your thoughts and good wishes. you're the best!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Good luck with your fusion! They're nice little cars, my friend had one just like that.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
if an airbag deploys POoof dead. Sorry for your loss,you should be able to find another 1st or 1.5 gen hatch. If you find a copper your super lucky!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts