Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was reading some stuff about the airbox mod and someone comented on taking out the resenator in the fender well.... i am doing the airbox mod tomorrow and was wondering if taking out the resenator is worth my time. any help would be great.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
1. it will make the intake sound more agressive.
2. it is required if you want to upgrade to a CAI in the future (so why not do it while you are in there)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. it will make the intake sound more agressive.
2. it is required if you want to upgrade to a CAI in the future (so why not do it while you are in there)
[/b]
yeah good point. i am not going to be putting in a new CAI until spring time i think but what the hell i might as well just get it out of my way now.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it relatively easy to take out or is it going to be something difficult? i don't know much about moding yet as i am just begining to start doing work on the engine.... I am going to be doing the airbox mod with a buddy who drives an STI....he knows quite a bit about engines as well. do you think between the two of us we will be able to figure it out?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is it relatively easy to take out or is it going to be something difficult? i don't know much about moding yet as i am just begining to start doing work on the engine.... I am going to be doing the airbox mod with a buddy who drives an STI....he knows quite a bit about engines as well. do you think between the two of us we will be able to figure it out?
[/b]
It's very easy take off the drivers wheel, loose part of the fender liner and you will see it, I guess there are 3 nuts, loose it with a wrench first and then use ur fingers for easy access.

·
Registered
31 Posts
^^^^ Guess?

Have you ever done it? I found it a PITA job... granted I didn't jack the vehicle up... or take off the wheel...
[/b]
I have done it many times, besides I have an wagon, and the trans cooler is at the same location. And it wont take more than 15 minutes.
If you dont jack the car and take off the wheel you must have a really skinny arm to get to the resonator.
And its even easier if you take the whole bumper off which is not that hard either.

P.S sorry my english, when I said 3 nuts I meant 3 bolts..... or it's the same??

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have done it many times, besides I have an wagon, and the trans cooler is at the same location. And it wont take more than 15 minutes.
If you dont jack the car and take off the wheel you must have a really skinny arm to get to the resonator.
And its even easier if you take the whole bumper off which is not that hard either.

P.S sorry my english, when I said 3 nuts I meant 3 bolts..... or it's the same??
[/b]
ok well thanks guys.... i have a buddy with access to a shop with unlimited tools and a lift so taking off the wheel wont be a problem. hopefully we can figure it out later today as i am doing the airbox mod and then attempting to take out the resonator. i will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
302 Posts
^^^^ Guess?

Have you ever done it? I found it a PITA job... granted I didn't jack the vehicle up... or take off the wheel...
[/b]
I found it to be a PITA too. Accessing the resinator wasn't the hard part, it was trying to get the bolts off that was a pain in the butt. They were stuck on there pretty tight and I cut my hand up + broke a rachet on the bolts.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i took my resonator off.......and trust me as simple as turning three bolts.....literally but i was blessed it hydralic lifts so i got it off in 10 mins....and it makes the intake more aggessive....but u'll lose a gallon of gas in the city but gain a gallon on the highway.....i'm not sure how that is but thats wat the master technician said.......so idk.....i have noticed a bit of a decrease going from school to work...but then again its an easy mod and its has a deeper sound to it after wards...........up to u i would post pics on taking it off.....but i found out the other day that digitals cameras aren't waterproof :slap:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts