Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to ease into this as it's my first post.

I have spent some time reading this forum, before, and now after purchasing my grey GTV6. I've had my 6 for 4 days and already have something to contribute (I think).

On day 2, whilst driving home my CEL came on. After reading the forums, and being very nervous about sending my car to a dealer as I know they are still feeling their way through the teething issues, I decided to do my own investigation. After all, I'm an asset to the dealer if I'm well informed, and understand what they are talking about.

I opened and tightened the fuel cap, and I inspected, removed and then replaced the vacuum hose that is mentioned in other posts. My engine light stayed on.

In the late hours of the day I read somewhere about clearing the CEL on other Mazda's by disconnecting the battery and putting your foot on the break for 5 seconds.

With my new knowledge of this, and the fact that most CEL errors are emissions related, I opened the hood again. (it was now 1am). I loosened and tightened everything I could lay a hand on. I then disconnected the negative terminal on the battery, kept my foot on the break for about ten seconds, then I put my foot on the clutch and break for ten seconds, based on the principal that I don't really want to be disconnecting and connecting the battery often, in an attempt to find out what works.

To cut a long story short, the CEL in now off, and has been for 2 days.

I do not know how to force the light on, or I would test what resets it. I was hoping those who have the CEL on would do some testing, like disconnect the battery, hold in the break pedal for 5 seconds and re-connect.

Any takers?

On my Dodge, you flicked the key a couple of times and the CEL flashed the code. Anyone know of a similar routine for the 6?

:D

·
Registered
791 Posts
Reading Topic: Resetting CEL

Wow! Thanks for the suggestion- I've asked this question before without response. Dodge really does make it easy. Toyota usually has a jumper somewhere that can be flipped. I hadn't found anything on Mazda, but I'm heading out to disconnect my battery now :)

It could be that disconnecting the battery is all that is needed, but hitting the brake causes the brake lights to try to come on, which drains all the remaining capacitance from the line.

It'd be nicer if we could find a way to get the actual code to flash. I think its 082 for the gas cap- I'll check my receipt :/

·
Registered
62 Posts

I have reseted the CEL. I take out all the fuse for the engine (cos I don't know which one is right one). Then turn the key to ON but DO NOT start the car. Keep it on for few sec the CEL will flash and it will go off. After that put back the fuse.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

All I had to do on my Probe was to jump the ten pin and the ground pin on the diagnostic port in the engine bay with a wire, turn the ignition on to accessory and the cel would flash out the code number.

We probably aren't as lucky.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Resetting CEL'

I had a Grand AM and a Ford Probe that both had self diagonostic tests when you shorted 2 pins together on the connectore for the dealors code reader, turn on the key and count the CEL flashes. You then needed a service manual to see what the code means and you could R&R the defective part, or in some cases if you have to go back to the dealer if you tell them what the code is it helps them schedule time for the repair.

I hope somebody buys the factory service manual who can tell us if the M6 has OBDII features we can access. I have also seen some autoparts stores who offer free code checks.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Anal Probe!!!!

Anyway, Autozone advertises free code checks. I want a service manual to. I guess I'll hit up the dealer.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Originally posted by davecoyne

Originally posted by GreenNuggs

Anal Probe!!!![/b]
Wow, that's original...:sarc :sarc :sarc [/b][/quote]

At least I'm not the one who owned one!

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

Anal Probe!!!![/b]

At least I'm not the one who owned one![/b][/quote]

Takes one to know one....sticks and stones....blah, blah, blah...whatever

Admittedly, the name was horrible, but the car was and is great. Out-handles the 6 easily.

·
Registered
383 Posts

I started a thread a while back about alternate functions of the trip odometer. Here is a website that talks about this for late model Mustangs. Casper 6i tried it and said there are some things that show up (I don't have our 6 yet, so can't try it). I think that DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) would be one of the items listed.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

That's really cool! Now, all we need is a stinkin shop manual!

·
Registered
628 Posts

Anal Probe!!!![/b]

Tell me about it, I *never* heard that driving my Probe around...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts