Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought some new gauges, but the odometer reads about 20k less than I actually have. I would like to at least get the mileage close, but I'm not sure how...

Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I was told by my dealer that it can't be done.

I had my gauge cluster replaced by the dealer at 10k miles, and my new one started over from 0 again. They said there's no way to reprogram the digital odometer. They put a sticker inside my doorjamb with the mileage at replacement and replacement date. But I really doubt there's any way to change that digital readout.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, good to know, maybe I just need to go get that sticker than....

I've got to figure out how to re calibrate these gauges as well, I think the needles are alittle out of wack.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Shot me an IM il let u know how to fix that atleast

·
Registered
747 Posts
Can you imagine if there WAS a way to "set" the mileage on digital clusters, how widely that would be abused? Even if "only the dealer" could do it... I'm betting this is intentionally not possible on any digital odometer.

How do those things remember the mileage when the battery is disconnected?

·
Registered
4 Posts
IIRC, it is controlled by the ECU.
[/b]
Not sure how it works in Mazdas, but for BMWs I know by a fact that there are two sets of data stored, one in the ECU and one in the instrument cluster. So it will end up displaying and storing the higher one whenever one of them gets replaced.

·
Registered
810 Posts
if the odometer reading came from the ECU then replacing the guage cluster wouldn't reset the mileage...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
its rayden
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing