Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I ever plan on selling this car, but I've heard that a car fetches a higher resale value than it normally would if it is the first year for that model. For example, I was told the new VW Beetle has higher resale value for it's first year, than it's second year, even though the first year one is obviously older.

Is this true across the board for all new model types for all manufacturers? If so, why does this happen?

Thanks.

-Eric

·
Registered
76 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Resale of First Year Cars'

Edmunds.com TMV (Base Beetle)

1998: $8374
1999: $9844

Maybe the first year of the new Beetle has some inflated enthusiast value because there are a lot of old-school Bettle fans that might want the "first" year of the "new" one, but it's probably just a localized trend among enthusiasts, because it's certainly not worth any more on the market to regular folks.

If anything, I think the 1st year cars would be the cheapest because that's the most troublesome and undesirable year. I see lots of people are having check engine lights here already, for example. It takes a year to work all the bugs out, which makes the "first year + one" model much more desirable.

I don't think the Mazda6 is any sort of "revived from the dead classic" or anything like that, so I wouldn't expect anything extra as far as resale value goes :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Touche.

Of course, I had heard this information from VW dealers when I was lookin at the Jetta. I did hear it from multiple dealres in the area, though. It is probably due to the demand of enthusiasts, as you said. It did not make much sense to me that the first year would have a higher resale value, but I figured I would ask since that's what I had heard.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Reading Topic: Resale of First Year Cars

No usually first year cars are the most undesirable...I think it's just within enthusiast. Like for example, the Toyota Supra. Ever since F&F their prices have risen significantly higher.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Well, they aren't most desired, but actually they are not less desired either. Most people buying a second hand family car know zip 'bout cars. So whether it's a first or last year model means nothing to them.

The age in years and miles on the car is what makes the car's value. As do demand, ofcourse. And that may be somewhat influenced by cars from one model year, but much more by the rumors running around about the car in general.

·
Registered
220 Posts

I could imagine a scenario where the first year cars are very desireable to people who were waiting for used models of specific vehicles. Maybe?

I don't know about everyone else but I really don't care about the resale value of my car. I bought it for me and be damned with buying features and colors so the car will be desireable to the next owner.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Originally posted by cynder

I don't know about everyone else but I really don't care about the resale value of my car.  I bought it for me and be damned with buying features and colors so the car will be desireable to the next owner.[/b]
Amen.

If I'm going to cough up twenty-some-thousand-dollars, I'm getting what I like.

Besides - there's little or no way to predict what will become desirable in the future.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I third that - I don't usually buy a car (especially not a new one!) with the intent on selling it. If I were looking at a car that I wanted to turn around in a few years, I'd go with a semi-newish used car.

·
Registered
980 Posts

I fourth that (is that even possible). Seriously though, I plan on keeping the 6 for a very long time when I do get it so I am not going to worry about the resale value.

·
Registered
220 Posts

BTW, is it a good sign that when the first payment comes due and you don't wonder what else you could be doing with the money?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Like I said, I don't plan on selling back the car. But if I do, for whatever reason, then it's nice to know what it's worth.

You guys can't say you're not worried about the resale value of your 6. There's a situation where anyone would change cars. For example, gas prices skyrocket to $4/gallon. perhaps some of you might consider switching to a corolla or something else. Perhaps your lifestyle changes(you get married); and you want a more family-oriented/less-sporty car(yes i know it has lots of room in it). Then you might also want to change cars.

While it is nice to go into the whole thing with the ideal that you plan on keeping the car for it's lifetime, and I still maintain this ideal, one has to realize that circumstances can arise to change that ideal. I merely choose to think about backup plans in advance.

Hence my question.

plus i'm still learning about cars in general. no better place to ask than here.:)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by JivinFlava

Perhaps your lifestyle changes(you get married);  [/b]
Isn't that what the '6 is for? :)

As I said, if I were worried about turning the car around anytime soon, I'd get a used car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

yes, the 6 is a decent family car. but that is only one example. the gas price skyrocketing would be a serious consideration into changing cars, though, depending on how high the price goes.

who here would continue to drive their 6 20 miles to work each way if gas was, say, $5/gallon? who would switch to a car that gets twice the mileage per gallon? $10/gallon?

my point is, there are circumstances under which almost anyone would consider changing cars.

-Eric

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by JivinFlava

yes, the 6 is a decent family car. but that is only one example. the gas price skyrocketing would be a serious consideration into changing cars, though, depending on how high the price goes.

who here would continue to drive their 6 20 miles to work each way if gas was, say, $5/gallon? who would switch to a car that gets twice the mileage per gallon? $10/gallon?[/b]
I don't view this as a realistic scenario. Those who are overly concerned with gas mileage will focus on getting a car for gas mileage, regardless of gas price.

my point is, there are circumstances under which almost anyone would consider changing cars.

-Eric[/b]
If that "almost anyone" is so concerned with the flexibility to turn their car around in a short period of time, they should buy a used car.

·
Registered
220 Posts

If fuel price were a serious consideration I don't think many vehicles would have great resale value including V6 Camry and Accords not to mention the untold millions of commuters driving Suburbans, Expeditions, and Durangos.

I do encourage Mazda to bring their diesel version to the United States. If a diesel were available I would buy it.

·
Registered
980 Posts

Again this issue of gas mileage comes up...I still do not know how good the V6 is on gas. I know what the manufacturers rate is but I dont really trust those. I want some real world numbers...can anyone help? Thanx.
I want a V6 but if gas mileage isnt good I think I might just chose the i4.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I'm your test case. :)

I'm:

a) getting married
B) sold my sports car (see avatar/signature)
c) am getting a 6 because it's more practical (family oriented) but still want to have fun when I drive

Getting gas mileage in the mid to high 20's is decent and probably puts you over the average in the US, at least. With all the gas guzzler SUVs and big V8's, 27 mpg highway ain't bad at all. There are lots of tricks to get better mileage. If you have a manual, shift earlier in the RPM's or skip gears. Get to 5th asap and don't mash the gas when pulling from a stop.

All I can say is that the Supra got about 11-12 mpg if I got on it all the time, 21 mpg best on the highway, but 16-18 was the norm. :hoho ...and it required PREMIUM. My fiance's 02 civic averages 36 mpg, but it's not exactly punchy or nimble. Good for road trips and easy on the wallet, though.

....and btw, chindo. I sold the Supra for $200 more than I paid 3 years ago. F and F! :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Resale of First Year Cars

Kyler: Don't u think you're gonna miss some power in the 6's compared to the Supra?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Absolutely, but there's not much on the market that won't make me miss it. Toss in the fact that I'm house hunting after the wedding AND the fact that the Supra is finicky on wet pavement and impossible in the snow. The vette, maybe the M3 (though lower torque); the M5 and of course the 911/911 turbo would be a step up power-wise. The cheapest option there would be the vette at $40k brand new (which I test drove); but I've heard alot about the build quality being lousy. Too much money and not much else stock that'll top 320hp.
:(

Think practical.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Resale of First Year Cars

The BMW M3 and M5 is damn good cars! But way too expensive, at least here in Sweden... :-(

What about a Mazda6 MPS then? :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts