Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive looked through threads about the fusion swap into the 6 (eg. http://forum.mazda6club.com/3-0l-v6/244189-mazda-6-v6-vs-fusion-v6-they-100-same.html ). I know that it can be done but havent found a 06 fusion to 03 6 swap information listing.

My question is this:

I know the differences between 03 mazda and 06 fusion are greater than other years so, What exactly needs to be changed over for the 06 fusion 3.0 duratec to swap into an 03 mazda 6s v6? My main concers are sensors, the main harness etc, and if the existing smog equipment will bolt up or if i need to source fusion parts. I have a ford master mechanic who will help me get everything installed.

Im not too worried about smog, i just need it to pass the referee, I have a smog check place i can get any car "smogged" at. As far as i can tell i know it is legal to do the swap just need the ref to sign off on it after.

So if anyone out there can help me out with the info i need it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The swap should actually be legal, since it's the same sized engine going into the car + it is an equivalent replacement. Most smog place won't even know you swapped it.

Any who, it will look like you'll have to swap a few parts. Like possibly oil pan, pickup, valve covers (unless you like the look), harness and maybe others.

Just get the full engine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies, im not sure if ill be replacing the entire engine or if I will just have to rebuild the bottom end. Hopefully its just the bottom end which i know i can get from a MPV, tribute, Taurus, escape etc. I just want to make sure I have as much info as possible going into this before i get started.

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
Parts needed to be swap from 6 to fusion.

Oil Pan and oil pick up
Timing cover
Lower intake manifold, Intake manifold.
Valve covers if you chose.
Oil sensor
Water pump pulley if you want.

And just use your 6s engine harness.
I assume you mean water pump tensioner?

The valve covers would need to be traded as your igition coils and the fusions are not the same and do not have hold downs.

Also, why on earth does the oil pan matter? less it is a clearance issue of some sort......

·
Registered
206 Posts
The fusion exhaust is much like the 06 (er). Since he's on an 03, he'll have to change the sub-frame to use the newer style oil pan and exhaust configuration.

Rebuilding the bottom end will cost much more . This is from experience. 200+ for a set of new oversize pistons. Fusion engines runs around $500..thats complete!

·
Registered
206 Posts
My mistake 06. I corrected it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
exhaust and subframe change was 06-08

Still not sure why the oil pan matters. people use 06-08 oil pans on the 03-05 due to their increase in oil compacity and better gasket design.
Exhaust design. The 06+ has the header going underneath the oil pan and the 03-05 has the header wrapping around. Also the 04-05 takes 6qts and the 03 takes 5.5. I already have a set of headers and to get new headers just to use the 06+ oil pan is a waste of $$$ and the gasket is the same, I compared the two. Valve cover/coil don't have to be change. I for one like the looks of the fusion valve cover and the fusion coils.

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
Exhaust design. The 06+ has the header going underneath the oil pan and the 03-05 has the header wrapping around. Also the 04-05 takes 6qts and the 03 takes 5.5. I already have a set of headers and to get new headers just to use the 06+ oil pan is a waste of $$$ and the gasket is the same, I compared the two. Valve cover/coil don't have to be change. I for one like the looks of the fusion valve cover and the fusion coils.

do you have to splice the coils in or do their connectors have the same end? I know visually they are very different. not my favorite personally, but then agian need are the mazda ones.

Oil compacity is not a bad thing AT ALL.

I know the subframe effects the choice of headers, but have never heard of the Oil pan. hell some people are using MPV oil pans because of their advtanges as well.(I forget what advtanges it is off the top other than oil compacity)

03-05 headers do have a fastener or 2 into the side of the pan IIRC, but that should not be a problem to remove. Having the headers pass around the pan should be a better design if anything for the 06 pan...

I would never replace the pan on these cars w/o replacing the stock headers anyway. the stock headers blow....

·
Registered
19 Posts
do you have to splice the coils in or do their connectors have the same end? I know visually they are very different. not my favorite personally, but then agian need are the mazda ones.

Oil compacity is not a bad thing AT ALL.

I know the subframe effects the choice of headers, but have never heard of the Oil pan. hell some people are using MPV oil pans because of their advtanges as well.(I forget what advtanges it is off the top other than oil compacity)

03-05 headers do have a fastener or 2 into the side of the pan IIRC, but that should not be a problem to remove. Having the headers pass around the pan should be a better design if anything for the 06 pan...

I would never replace the pan on these cars w/o replacing the stock headers anyway. the stock headers blow....
As for the coils, I'm using my 04 6 harness and it's plug and play. And yeah the oil pan were different to accommodated the sub frame work. If I could, I would prefer the 06+ oil pan. Have the header go under the oil pan so the front header and rear header can join easily instead of have the front header longer then the rear one. A pair equal length headers should net some serious WHP on these cars.

03-05 Headers ( Disregard the misleading information saying it's for 03-07)

06+ Headers

06 headers goes under the oil pan like this while 03-05 goes around the oil pan.

·
Registered
146 Posts
the oil pan dictates which exhaust you have to use. on the 05 the front exhaust passed under the engine near the crank and on the 06 fusion it passes near the transmission. if i had known that before i bought my headers i would have ordered the correct ones and had more oil capacity.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Using a 06 Fusion motor in a Mazda6 is great an all, but what I really want to know is the requirements for an 09 Fusion motor in a 03-08 Mazda 6...:;)
From what I can tell, there were no major changes between the engine designs from 06-09... so I'd say the requirements are just about the same.
Now if you're talking about the 2010 Sport (which has the 3.7 like the current 6s), that's a different story altogether.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If I needed a replacement, a 3.5 or 3.7 would be strong consideration if the modification work wasn't too bad...but now that the mustang has the 3.7 there's the computer setup without having to simulate all the auto tranny signals. Hard part would be hacking up the wiring harness though...SDS or Megasquirt might be easier in the end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, I just replaced my Mazda motor with an 07 Fusion motor. Everything went great, but i'm now looking to sell my Mazda engine block [118k w/blown head gasket]. Anybody on here interested or know where the best place to shift it would be? I can't seem to post in the classifieds here :-/

Here's a pic of it without the timing cover and valve covers.

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
To see items here you need 50 posts first. Then you must post up an ad which complies with the buy/sell rules.

Because you dont have 50 posts you arent permitted access to the classified section.

Spamming threads to get to 50 posts wont be accepted either. Just an FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.