Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 6s mtx for the 24k km service a week ago. They came back to me and told me that the car needs a wheel allignment. Now, I bought this car from the dealer I use for service work. It had 12k on it when I got it. At the time of purchase, they apparently went through all the regular checks to see if the car had any problems. I've put another 12k since then, in about 4 months worth of driving. As part of the service they also rotated the tires, and now the car puls to the right quite obviously when on a straight-flat surface. They offered to rotate the tires back, which I don't see the point of. I could do that myself, but I'm just curious as to how I can find the tell-tale signs that led to their diagnosis. The allignment work is apparently not done under warrantly, and they're saying that its part of normal wear and tear, or as a result of hard cornering. I don't really abuse my car, its the first one I ever bought, so I'm doing my best to take care of it.
I'd be interested in hearing opinions...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Alignment is one of those things that doesn't exactly follow a set schedule of wear, even for a particular driver. The tell-tale signs of alignment issues are a pulling to one side on a smooth flat stretch of road and/or uneven wear on your tires. You can throw your alignment by hitting a pot hole just right or going into a curbed driveway wrong. I used to live in an apartment with a terrible entrance and even with careful driving, it would tear up my alignment every 20K miles or so (on a truck that recommends realignment every 50k miles). If your dealer did check the alignment prior to sale, the probably just made sure it didn't noticeably pull to one side and that the tires looked ok. 24K miles isn't absurd for needing a new alignment though it is rather early. You can get an alignment done for $50. If your dealer charges more than that, just get someone else to do it (mechanic, tire shop, etc) and keep the receipt if you have further issues. Just make sure you use someone with the computerized alignment machines, but I don't think anyone aligns by hand anymore. That was an absolute pain in the rump.

If your alignment had been off for a long time and you then rotated your tires, the uneven wear might be making the pull a lot worse since the uneven wear is now counter to your alignment. If you get an alignment and then your car still pulls, it may be too late for your tires. My wife's Hyundai would destroy front tires if the alignment were even a little off.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yeah I might need to get allignment done to my car. It does pull to the right a lil bit.
You can get an alignment done for $50[/b]
I called NTB to see how much for an allignment service and it's $75. So I guess that's high compared you said $50

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, I have the stock 18s. I do quite frequently go over bumpy surfaces when entering a particular driveway, and try to avoid potholes, but sometimes its only so much a person can do.
This particular dealership is asking for $120CAD, plus tax, which should be around $116USD. Sounds kinda high for me, but they do apparently have a good reputation for servicing.
What kinds of things should I be looking out for after the allignment, and how can I tell if my tires are good enough to survive for a few more months? I'm not sure what the warranty on the stock 18s is.

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,575 Posts
Alignments can go out pretty easily, esp if you drive on rough roads. That's how mine went.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.