Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sport 6MT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a used 2014 that had Koni paired with H&R in Blue front & Black springs rear. I have confirmed the KONIs are shot, and were put on by 2nd owner approx 87K miles ago. I was planning on going with the Bilstein B12 Pro kit. I could not find an OEM "kit" anywhere. Wife has back issues, so rough & bouncy bumps are a big no.

If I get the B12 Pro-Kit,($850) are there any other items I would need? (rubber, nuts/bolts<the current look fine>, etc)
Does anyone know where to get an OEM Kit? The dealership quoted me $1,493 for just all the needed parts.
I'm also all ears for any recommendations you use.

EDIT: Honestly, since only the KONIs need replacing, should Bilstein front & rear be sufficient? Which ones should I get?

Appreciate in advance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have that exact same setup on my 2016 Grand Touring. Bilstein B8 with H&R sport springs. Ride quality is on the stiff side but not coilover stiff. The 20in wheels with low profile 245/35 also contributes to that as well. If you are trying to retain as much of the oem ride quality as possible I would go with Bilstein's b4 setup. They are a direct replacement for the oem Mazda setup. Pair that with the oem springs and you should be good to go. You could probably find most of those parts on ebay as I did or you can check rockauto. You might also wanna change the strut mounts while you're at it. Good luck

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Konis are rebuildable. No such thing as black H&R springs, possible you have stock rears. I have back issues, and a stiff suspension is the last thing that bothers me. Contrary to popular belief, weak suspension can transmit pot holes into the seats worse than a performance set up, and pop tires easier too.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 6MT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Konis are rebuildable. No such thing as black H&R springs, possible you have stock rears. I have back issues, and a stiff suspension is the last thing that bothers me. Contrary to popular belief, weak suspension can transmit pot holes into the seats worse than a performance set up, and pop tires easier too.
Talon,

Actually they do, the IR Race springs come in black, which I am verifying the number to see if it matches. When I called H&R, even they mentioned it must not be the basic lowering spring.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Talon,

Actually they do, the IR Race springs come in black, which I am verifying the number to see if it matches. When I called H&R, even they mentioned it must not be the basic lowering spring.
Interesting I thought H&R only made sport springs and street performance coilovers for the 3rd gens. Mine are purple. Are you sure they are not RSR springs...I have a spare set of those, they are black.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 6MT
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I just know one set is a lighter blue, the back look black. They are clean, and look black. Not the same color as the front. I may just replace the whole set since it seems to be a mosh of different spring types and the ride is bad. I do not want to go OEM, but I can just replace the KONIs (cant afford to be without car while they are rebuilt, my only ride to work) so That is why I thought the B12 PRO kit from Bilstein may be the way to go as opposed to coil overs. Just not even 80% sure yet.

·
Administrator
18,692 Posts
Warning since you're a 2014 owner: Check your rears 150% before buying anything. Black in the back sounds like OEM struts to me too. Make sure the replacements will fit, lest you run into what I did Byakuya's 2014 Grand Touring Shiro Shinobi

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
H&R springs.
Trust me, they are blue, not black. I bet they had a tire combo that rubbed so they put the stock ones back in, or bought the fronts with the H&Rs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts