Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05' 6i ATX and have done the air box mod to it, but now I want to put a full cold air intake into it. Taking the CEL problem into consideration, I have narrowed my choices to either the K&N intake and the Mazdaspeed Intake...The Mazdaspeed is more expensive, so I would like to know if the K&N would do just as well...I have heard that even the K&N can throw a CEL, but will the Mazdaspeed, and which one has greater power gains?...(which K&N intake do people talk about, the Typhoon?, or the 57i Kit?) Also, which one is easier to install and will have less after install problems like affected or rough idle and problems with all the remaining hoses due to the complexity of the stock intake system.

thankyou.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
for the most part, every cai installes exactly the same...nothing worth choosing a kit over. who has had a CEL on a 2.3 with the K&N....don't think i've seen anyone? don't worry about gains, between intakes it won't matter that much on the 2.3.

·
Registered
510 Posts
In case you start to consider warranty issues, Mazda will not warranty the MazdaSpeed CAI on a 6i ATX, only the MTX.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In case you start to consider warranty issues, Mazda will not warranty the MazdaSpeed CAI on a 6i ATX, only the MTX.
[/b]
yes...yes...this is true...but if I go with the K&N....they won't cover it either...so thats negated...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
for the most part, every cai installes exactly the same...nothing worth choosing a kit over. who has had a CEL on a 2.3 with the K&N....don't think i've seen anyone? don't worry about gains, between intakes it won't matter that much on the 2.3.
[/b]
I've searched the forums and found that some people HAVE thrown CEL with the K&N...but everybody else who sees that treats it like the guy said "I just walked on water", so I guess thats a good sign, I've also heard about those "after-install" problems I've mentioned, do any of you know about those? I've also heard alot of people knock the K&N for its performance gains....there website says 6.5Hp increase...(in the MTX...I have the ATX :( )....I can get the K&N typhoon for about $215-$220...the Mazdaspeed for $305...and you said that the gains wouldn't be different on the 2.3L?...so the differences are negated then?...so then it would come down to price then?....so is the K&N a go?...or the Mazdaspeed would be better?....

·
Registered
510 Posts
Just to throw this out there, from another thread on this forum, it looks like you will get negligible gains with your 6i and a CAI over the airbox mod. The airbox mod provides enough air flow for the v6 to match CAI gains (non-cpe) so it is easily more than enough for the i4. If you want to truely see get more than the airbox mod, your choice is the CPE.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to throw this out there, from another thread on this forum, it looks like you will get negligible gains with your 6i and a CAI over the airbox mod. The airbox mod provides enough air flow for the v6 to match CAI gains (non-cpe) so it is easily more than enough for the i4. If you want to truely see get more than the airbox mod, your choice is the CPE.
[/b]
not to discredit 'badtlc', but does anybody else agree with what he said (I'd like to get second opinions, just to make sure I make the right decision)...if thats true, that means the airbox mod provides as much as a 5-6hp. increase...and everybody else says that they don't really feel an increase over the airbox mod, and I think I heard of a dyno that showed maybe a 1-3 hp. increase from it....I think a cold air intake can top that, plus sometimes the V6 reacts more favorably to mods than the I4...but thats what the forums about...all the knowledge that people have and throwing it together...anybody else have a recomendation?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Nice man, those dynos show a definite change!

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
there are plenty of dyno's floating around of different intakes on different cars to look at. if you truely feel that a 2-4hp difference at peak hp is going to be a major factor, then just pick the intake with the highest dyno. the intake i like the most of all, typically shows the lowest peak gain....but it felt better (and sounded better) for me in all around driving. as i have always said, cp-e is not worth it's gains on the I4, buy something used and cheap, it'll perform just fine. i have yet to read any I4's with K&N (cai or drop in) have CEL issues, same with the mazdaspeed, so the call is yours.

...just order something, you'll like it

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Get the AEM or the mazdaspeed (mazdaspeed being a rebranded aem) and go zoom zoomin :) you won't regret it.

Then, later on if you get the cel from the intake, go to rpm and buy the scanguage digital gauge/meter and clear the cel whenever it pops up yourself..

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
We were flooding in some areas here in VA and I went through puddle after puddle. No CEL with my K&N Typhoon CAI, but I will be switching it out with a Fujita CAI from the GB that's going on until the 1st.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We were flooding in some areas here in VA and I went through puddle after puddle. No CEL with my K&N Typhoon CAI, but I will be switching it out with a Fujita CAI from the GB that's going on until the 1st.
[/b]
thankyou for all your help!, I've made my decision, thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey there,
If you dont wanna do to much work why dont you just get the k&n flat pad filter?
Still helps to improve performance and it slides right into your airbox and it, as far as I know, doesnt affect the warraty at all.
It also has the benifet of the million mile warranty on the product itself...
Just a thought!
------------------------------
Terror Squad

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey there,
If you dont wanna do to much work why dont you just get the k&n flat pad filter?
Still helps to improve performance and it slides right into your airbox and it, as far as I know, doesnt affect the warraty at all.
It also has the benifet of the million mile warranty on the product itself...
Just a thought!
------------------------------
Terror Squad[/b]
thats what I had on before...but I'm in the middle of a "feud" so to speak and needed more power... :drive:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts